Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Seed Saving Forum

By request, here's the seed saving forum.

I imagine this forum will be targeted towards those who are interested in saving seeds with an eye toward maintaining strains of OP and heirloom plants.

Prevention of cross-pollination, maintaining genetic diversity, and what-have-you.

Dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

you're too good to us!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

A round of applause for Dave! Thanks again for giving us the best!

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks Dave!
I have lots of questions for this forum too.
Heidi

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks dave,
Just logged in and lo and behold,all one has to do is ask and it appears!

Mel

Brimson, MN(Zone 3a)

Is there anything special one needs to do to save pepper seed? I am very disappointed in the seeds I saved last year, the ones two years old germinated better~! Did not do anything differently as far as saving and planting the seed...what am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Thanks Much~!!!scoot

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Dave: You might want to move this to it's own thread, i.e. pepper seeds.

Scoot: What, exactly, is your procedure?

Pepper seeds are among the easiest to save, because they need no special treatment other than drying.

Be sure that the peppers are fully ripe, or slightly over-ripe before laying them out to dry. I just scrape them off the central core onto a drying rack, and that's all.

Some people water-separate the seed, discarding the non-viable. But I don't bother with this myself.

I can't split threads in half like that. I already thought of this when I first saw the post this morning. :(

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for this one Dave! I think it'll become my favorite forum. :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.