Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Edit to the Database

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
7:21 AM

Post #25481

Today I received a nice message from a friend in the garden pointing out that one of my photos might in fact be mis-labeled and posted to the wrong plant. The message included some sites that substantiated his/her opinion. Of course, I thought I was correct, but after looking over the sites, I think he/she is absolutely right.

Consequently I pulled the photo, and will probably post it to the proper page. I certainly took no offense, since I want to get correct information when I visit the database, and I want to provide the same. I hope we can all be comfortable pointing out potential entry errors in this way.If we can all agree to that, we can have the database "spiffy in a jiffy"!

philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2002
9:00 AM

Post #231434

What a good attitude Weez. i'd spotted one and wasn't sure what to do, so have done nothing (the easy way out) - the answer is now obvious. And i hope if i've made any mistakes with any of my entries or do in the future, that someone will point it out so that it can be put right.
We're all here to exchange and learn and this is a perfect example of just that.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2002
12:31 PM

Post #231460

Weez that is a good attitude! I hope someone would tell me if they didn't think a plant was indentified right. I don't know how many times I've grown seeds only to find they weren't what the package said... and I don't mean just trades. The store bought seeds can be labeled wrong too. We all know how the tags get mixed up at the nurseries - even they make mistakes with labeling.

Pictures can always be posted here too ... so we can hash over the identity ... sometimes it's good to get a few different opinions.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
7:06 PM

Post #231599

I'm glad the three of us agree on this, and I'm sure more will do so. I really enjoy seeing pics of plants on this forum. Inquiries always bring in interest. You can call me out on any of my picture uploads except the variegated monkey fist dung plant I posted in the viola section!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2002
8:26 PM

Post #231658

Well i've searched through the viola section and i can't find it :(
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
8:32 PM

Post #231666

Philomel, you're having me on, aren't you...you reeeeeally weren't looking for a monkey fist dung plant, were you?? If so, when you find it, please post a hyperlink..this I've got to see!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2002
8:51 PM

Post #231680

Yes, i was really searching - i know how serious minded you are, and if you say it's there, it's got to be interesting and worth looking at:-/
Baa

March 24, 2002
8:51 PM

Post #231683

I've also received polite emails about various plants I've listed on the PDB. It's good to know people do read it and will offer extra knowledge.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
9:08 PM

Post #231698

This is such a cozy little spot in the garden, that I often forget how many people visit the garden by intent or by link. What an amazing place the web is...so much knowledge.

Sorry, Philomel...my attempt at being funny. Maybe we should conjure up what a variegated monkey fist dung plant would look like...definitely marbled brown with a fist like knob at the top...and malodorous of course!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2002
9:27 PM

Post #231713

Sorry Weez, think i've got us all confused - my tongue was very much in cheek! (That's why i did the smiley 'mixed up')
I intend to post the pic as soon as i find one ;)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
9:29 PM

Post #231717

I rather thought so! Guess I don't know my smilies! I knew I couldn't put anything over on you...except maybe a mudpie! Ooops! Wrong thread!
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2002
9:38 PM

Post #231722

Ooooooooph, you must have a long throw - it's reached me from Dave's Garden!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
10:14 PM

Post #231734

No, Philomel, I have what we colonials call a "weinie arm". When I used to play softball, they'd stick me in the outfield because I could catch those flyballs, but they'd have to send three players out to relay the ball in! I must have been "motivated" when I lobbed that mud at you!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2002
10:19 PM

Post #231738

Are you two throwing pies without me? No you don't!! ~~~~~SPLAT!~~~~~

Seriously, isn't this a great place? Where people feel comfortable enough to correct someone and that someone feels comfortable enough to change it and talk about it to encourage others to do the same!! I love this place!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2002
10:35 PM

Post #231754

Yes, Wingnut, so do I. Looks like Dave kicked us out of his forum and moved us to Jokes and Chat...I wonder why? I left the mud fight for a few minutes to get a handful of Gummy Bears, and zap! That man is a computer wizard! Well, this is the second thread we've highjacked, but fortunately it was mine! It's about time for me to go out and mist 80 flats of plants, so you guys are going to have to sling mud without me for awhile...WZ

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America