Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Unknown Bulbous Plant...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2002
7:00 PM

Post #25502

I have one like this and my friend also. She has no idea what it is. The leaves look like Eucharis as you can see...

The photos are at: http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/6476/8622.jpg

And http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/6476/8623.jpg

My friend's plant is flowering right now - see the photo.. It looks like Eucomis to me but - the leaves are different.

Any ideas??
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

March 24, 2002
8:27 PM

Post #231661

Hello Evert,
your plant is a Drimiopsis maculata. It's indigenous to south eastern South Africa. It is evergreen and makes a great shade plant - I use it as ground cover / filler plant under shrubs. :-)
The only thing it has in common with Eucomis is that they are in the same family - Hyacinthaceae. (Eucomis always has leaves at the top end of the flower stalk, and they are a LOT bigger)
maddy
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2002
11:20 PM

Post #231774

I have this very same plant, Evert, and it looks just like yours! Four or five leaves and one slender bloom stalk even. I was told it was African Hosta, but didn't know the botanical name. I looked at pics of Maddy's suggestion, Drimiopsis maculata, and I do think that's just what it is.
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2002
4:56 PM

Post #232138

Thank you so much my friend in the same time zone and Linda :) I think it is that. I have to repot mine... nice to know it is something rarer, I like rare species. (OR at least it is pretty rare here ;))

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America