Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Unknown Bulbous Plant...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2002
7:00 PM

Post #25502

I have one like this and my friend also. She has no idea what it is. The leaves look like Eucharis as you can see...

The photos are at: http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/6476/8622.jpg

And http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/6476/8623.jpg

My friend's plant is flowering right now - see the photo.. It looks like Eucomis to me but - the leaves are different.

Any ideas??
maddy
Sodwana Bay KZN
South Africa

March 24, 2002
8:27 PM

Post #231661

Hello Evert,
your plant is a Drimiopsis maculata. It's indigenous to south eastern South Africa. It is evergreen and makes a great shade plant - I use it as ground cover / filler plant under shrubs. :-)
The only thing it has in common with Eucomis is that they are in the same family - Hyacinthaceae. (Eucomis always has leaves at the top end of the flower stalk, and they are a LOT bigger)
maddy
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2002
11:20 PM

Post #231774

I have this very same plant, Evert, and it looks just like yours! Four or five leaves and one slender bloom stalk even. I was told it was African Hosta, but didn't know the botanical name. I looked at pics of Maddy's suggestion, Drimiopsis maculata, and I do think that's just what it is.
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2002
4:56 PM

Post #232138

Thank you so much my friend in the same time zone and Linda :) I think it is that. I have to repot mine... nice to know it is something rarer, I like rare species. (OR at least it is pretty rare here ;))

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America