Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/3818/8599.jpg

This is a plant of my friend... Have no ide awhat it is. She would really like to know-- And I would like to help her. Any ideas??? =}

The photo is here: http://puutarha.net/keskustelut/messages/3818/8599.jpg

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Has it flowered at all Evert?

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Reminds me of a Peperomia.
maddy

I don't know... no I think. The leaves are somehow furry she said.. I think it belongs to Gesneriaceae, but I'm not sure. :}

Maddy, at first I thought also it would be a peperomia, but I think peperomias don't have furry leaves..? :/

I think i had this and if it's the same thing then you're right Evert it's from the Gesnereaceae. I think it's a lesser known Streptocarpus. Can't for the life of me think of the species name though. There are a couple that are rather similar. The one I had was something issima. If so, it loves a drink and grows quite rapidly into a waterfall of a plant. The flowers are bluey violet tiny editions of a cape primrose. Very attractive when well grown, but mine got very straggly and then sulked because i couldn't work out just what it wanted (probably a greenhouse).

I thought Streptocarpus or Streptocarpella at first also but wasn't sure do they grow like that... hmmm.. We'll see what it is. :}

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

I wasn't quite sure if what I am seeing is hairy or shiny. You are right, I don't know of a hairy Peperomia either, but then I am not too familiar with that genus.
Streptocarpella is very hairy, at least the one I have growing here (don't know which species). Can't tell from the picture if the leaves on your plant are opposite or alternate. In Streptocarpella they would have to be opposite, in Peperomia alternate.
I'm sure you will have an answer the minute it flowers!
maddy

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Evert,
To me your friends plant looks like a lipstick plant. Try a search for "aeschynanthus" or "trichosporum"

Becky

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

BJT72, that's exactly what I thought. It can vary a little as to fleshy or not, hairy or not, depending on age and health. I think it is a beautiful little flowering plant.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Could it be a Hoya?

The Streptocarpus i was trying to remember is glandulosissima. From what i can recall, your photo looks very like the plant i had of this. No doubt all will be revealed when it flowers. Any sign of that yet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.