Really sick goat/Beware the queasy!

(Zone 5a)

Hey out there, I have a really sick goat and hope to get some advice. She came up lame in left foreleg yesterday AM, put her in shed but couldn't find a cause, last night found swelling in left chest. This AM I have to force to stand and help her up, swelling worse in chest under and slightly down left leg and all the way back to gut in front of left hind leg. An old goat farmer came out today, took a look at her and found a puncture wound on left side of lower gut in front of hind leg. A guess would be the aggressive doe in the herd knocked her into something sharp and now is VERY infected. Was advised to give large doses of LA 200 daily and Terramycin crumbles approx 1/4 cup twice daily. Am soaking with hot epsom salts compresses and got wound opened and expressed really thick cottage cheese consistency pus. Gave 8cc LA 200. She's a big doe, Saanen. Know this is a big dose of antibiotics but feel she needs it. She had a CD&T vacc. in mid February. Does anyone know a recipe for a poultice to draw out the infection? Any other advice? Jewel you out there? Please Help! Thanks, Lana

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

(Zone 5a)

Gave LA 200 at 4 PM, crumbles at 6 PM. Eating grain and hay and drinking still have to take temp or try, don't have any help. Pooping a lot of normal looking manure but smells funny not a good smell, haven't seen her pee for awhile but she could be doing it while laying down. Don't have banamine or dexamethisone. Going to get some antiflo gestine(sp?)to use as a poultice. Breathing fine, pretty alert but in a lot of pain, had 2-5 wk old kids on her but have separated them and started them on a lite dose of the Terramycin crumbles just in case. Thanks, Lana

southeast, NE

Hi Lana - I posted this on the other forum too. We've had really good luck in that we've had very few problems with our goats. I think I might call a vet on this one. I know that we've resorted to Micatel for our really sick ewes. But it's very expensive and very potent. We had a cow that had this kind of infection once - I can't remember the term the vet used for that kind of pus you are referring to. Everyday, we had to soak her (about 1500 lb cow) foot in the Epson salt solution water for about 15 minutes and also sprayed water on her leg to get the bad stuff out of the wound. We also had to gently work the pus off. As Patty suggested - Banamine and Dexamethasone are good too.

(Zone 5a)

Most vets around here don't know goats very well, the farmer that was here probably knows as much as they do about goats, that's why I hesitate to call one. Lana

(Zone 5a)

Patty and Jewel, thanks so much! I am really worried about her, she's one of my favs. Darn that other doe anyway, I'd been wanting to sell her for a couple months because of her attitude towards the other goats (even babies)but haven't had a way to get her to market, she's now tied in front of a shed where she'll stay till I can sell her. I will try to take her temp in a little bit, the swollen areas are warm to the touch so I know she'll have a temp. I can tell she's in pain by the way she looks in her eyes and her movements when I get her up she's really stiff. I do have probiotic paste and gave her some this AM and will give some everyday I have her on antibiotics, she is chewing her cud fine. I just hope the puncture didn't go into the abdominal cavity or I don't think she has a chance:~( I will keep you updated, I just got back from town, had to stop at the neighbors and get Antiphlogistine medicated poultice dressing and go to the store for more epsom salts and paper towels. I'll put that poultice on her tonight and see how it does. It's about time to do the epsom salts again and I'll try for the temp. It figures DH is out of town now! Pattie, I'd love to talk 'goatie' things, I'm just getting started with the goats and can use any and all advice :~) Lana

(Zone 5a)

Patty, her temp is 102.9, she didn't even twitch. The cottage cheese stuff I pushed out of the wound after I soaked it open with epsom salt compresses, it's yellowish like pus but thicker with a different consistency, it could possibly have had a greyish cast but the lighting wasn't good and I didn't get much out of it this time when I had a strong light in there. She seems a little more lethargic, she layed her head down and slept while I did the hot compresses a while ago though she's still eating, drinking and chewing her cud (and pooping!). I feel really down and don't think she'll make it. Hope I'm wrong. The other doe is horribly aggressive and chases the other goats for no reason, I don't think it's just normal pecking order behavior. I've even seen her toss the babies with her horns if they get near her. She's good to her own kids and is not people aggressive but I won't stand for her hurting the other goats.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images