Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: need ideas for BASKET LINERS for wire containers

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 659
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MummyOF4dolls

March 28, 2002
12:14 AM

Post #25729

Hi Does anyone have any ideas for ways to LINE WIRE BASKETS?

The store bought fibre liners seem to cost about $10. each here.

I was lucky to find some great wire baskets at a garage sale but don't want to spend that much on the liners...
Any frugal suggestions that will work as well?
Thanks
:)

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 27th 8:16 PM
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 28, 2002
12:28 AM

Post #233464

Hi, Mummy: I can't recall where you live, but here I go out in the woods and get moss! It grows on old stumps and on the base of trees. If it has small ferns or other vegetation growing in it, all the better.

After lining the wire hanging basket with moss (moss side out), I begin putting the soil in a bit at a time, so that I can plug through the wire to have violas and lobelia growing through the sides of the basket.

Sometimes I weave small dead branches around the wire, or add sea shells, etc. It's wonderful fun, and much lovelier than the liners they offer for big dollars.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2002
3:17 PM

Post #234125

hey you two! I have used some ordinary burlap sacking as the main cradle, then added garden or lawn-grown moss..E.
Baa

March 29, 2002
5:47 PM

Post #234166

Old clothes can be used as a liner or even plastic shopping bags with lots of holes punched in them.
MummyOF4dolls

March 29, 2002
7:38 PM

Post #234195

All great ideas...I bought these ten BIG wire baskets for $1.00 and did not want to buy 10 coconut fibre liners at 10 each...$100. for liners seemed crazy!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2002
12:11 PM

Post #238088

I used to have a friend in England who owned a nursery and she would do hundreds of baskets for the town displays. She always lined hers with moss first and then black plastic and as Baa commented, punched holes in the plastic. Then she would place a round of old carpet at the base. This still enabled her to poke the plants through the wire from the outside in. Her displays were wonderful and lasted the whole season even suffering neglect because they were in public places hung from lamp posts and such.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America