Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: dave - woodspirit - surprise lillies???

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 17, Views: 475
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2001
7:54 PM

Post #2991

Are these it Woodspirit??? Are these surprise lillies anyone??? New house, spring surprises popping up all over.
Sorry Dave, I forgot to size the pic. Julie

This message was edited Thursday, Mar 29th 3:56 PM

Thumbnail by dignbloom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2001
11:58 PM

Post #63310

Removed by member request
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 31, 2001
12:03 AM

Post #63652

My Naked Ladies have leaves that droop more than these. What do the bulbs look like? My Naked Ladies have bulbs about three inches in diameter and are about half exposed.

Orange blossoms just flashed through my mind. Might these be Clivia?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2001
12:22 AM

Post #63662

I stopped in at a nursery today that specializes in daffodils and daylillies but has other plants and bulbs. It's run by a very wonderful happy man named Elmo Crowe. He grows everything in a huge rock garden and also in a naturalized garden. I spotted the leaves of my particular plant immediately and sure enough, they were Naked Ladies! I had gotten desperate to plant them because after I dug them, we got hit with temperatures in the upper teens (here in NC) just after having 14 inches of snow and I couldn't plant them. They sat in a bucket for about 5 days and started turning yellow although I kept them moist. So I ran out this morning before I went to work and just used a shovel to open a place in the bank and dropped 2 or 3 of them in and covered them back up. I had seen daffodils do quite well growing on a steep bank and eventually spreading down the bank making a waterfall of color. Now I find my "daffodils" were naked ladies. Will they be o.k. in a bank too or do I need to move them again? How much shade will they tolerate?
dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2001
5:54 AM

Post #64127

George: this is the 1st spring at my new house. I didn't even know the bulbs were there let alone be able to describe them. I do know I saw one in late summer when I first saw the house, but definately not this many. I am a newbie & have no idea what Clivia is. Julie
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 1, 2001
7:55 AM

Post #64130

The Naked Ladies do well in very poor and rocky soil here. I let nature water them in spring and winter and they sit and are completely dry until late fall. They bloom profusley except after being moved. They will bloom first year after transplanting if they were dug up after the foliage died otherwise it may take a year or so for them to recuperate. I dug up an area about 18 inch square and found almost a hundred bulbs cramped in between rocks. they had layered themselves and wedged in so tight I thought I would never get them out! They are huge bulbs the size of a softball in some cases and they are ugly while the foliage dies so I like to hide them behind other things. But they are like a breath of springtime when they bloom in the fall.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2001
12:07 PM

Post #64154

Thanks, Zanymuse. I will leave them where I put them and hope they recover but I won't have high hopes that they will bloom this fall. I will howeveer, take some of them back to the historic housesite where I dug them later on this fall. The bulbs were not as large as you describe, but I understand there is more than one kind.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2001
2:27 PM

Post #64182

dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2001
3:38 PM

Post #64576

George, by the way, the last couple of days the leaves are fanning out more & staring to droop a bit. Julie
dave

June 22, 2001
8:29 PM

Post #85942

hey dignbloom: Did these ever bloom? Did you perchance get a picture?

I'd love to see a photo of this in bloom.

Dave
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2001
9:21 PM

Post #85976

Not clivia. Clivia is not hardy in Indiana. Its Lycoris, a.k.a. magic lily or naked lady.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2001
9:49 PM

Post #86275

perLite
Petaluma, CA

June 24, 2001
7:56 AM

Post #86416

The botanical name I learned for them is Amaryllis belladonna, in case you need to look 'em up.
Clivia would be good as a houseplant in your area... its leaves are wider and differently arranged, and a little more "floppy."
I really like surprise lilies. That's the common name I learned (a transplanted Hoosier, I am), and somehow I've been uncomfortable calling them Nekkid Ladies out here, but everyone else does. Gad. I'm a bit of a prude, I guess!
Some folks occasionally interplant them with Lily of the Nile (Agapanthus, also not hardy back Home, darnit) out here, and the pastel pinks and blues are kinda nice to look at, with the flower clusters somewhat alike.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2001
9:19 PM

Post #86582

Actually what I believe you have is Lycoris squamigera. This what you see most often in the bulb catalogs. Amaryllis belladonna is a much more substantial plant with larger flowers and leaves and is more difficult to find. It is also not reliably hardy in your zone, in fact, with no protection I doubt it would be hardy at all.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 25, 2001
6:03 AM

Post #86694

http://skywebfamily.com/mainlyamaryllids/gardenimages/id3.html

This link will take you to a very nice pictorial of Amaryllis Belladonna. I was suprised to find that they now come in White!
dave

June 25, 2001
12:29 PM

Post #86731

MzMunchkin posts a picture to the plants database yesterday.

http://davesgarden.com/plants/go/517.html

Dave
dignbloom
Greenfield, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2001
1:57 PM

Post #86748

thanks everyone, the foliage is just dying back. Dave, when I saw a flower it was late July or August. When it does bloom, I will post a pic. Julie
perLite
Petaluma, CA

June 26, 2001
10:48 PM

Post #87365

I'm looking forward to a picture... The Amaryllis is indeed hardy in your area and proliferates. My sister, about 30 miles south of you, has lots and it needs no maintenance. We planted them when I was a child (suffice it to say, long ago). They've never been lifted and are still blooming annually.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America