Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Making a water garden?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 17, Views: 580
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2002
10:47 PM

Post #26073

What better place to ask then right here? We have a Wal-Mart special ... pool 12'around. I think its going to come down this year. I always said when it was gone I was putting in a water garden(fish pond) there. Sense I will have a 12ft circle of sand anyway. Anybody have a cheap way of making one where I can use the pool liner and maybe the pump from the pool? Figured there should be some way to use this stuff. Or any other good ideas ? Thanks

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2002
10:26 PM

Post #237287

My 2nd pond is made from a old pool liner,and so is my stream bed.Don't know about the pump.I saw somewhere that someone used landscape ties with rebar pounded thru them as a frame ,and then lined it.I thought it looked great.Lined cinder blocks would probably work too...
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2002
11:10 PM

Post #237308

Mystic, I would think anyway you could move the water would work as a pump. Then so long as you run the water through a biofilter of some sort you should be fine. We can help you through that part. If you can get some help on the liner part I'll help with the filter part. How deep were you thinking? Let me know... "T" :)
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2002
12:04 AM

Post #237353

Thank you both. Sledder I don't really know this is all new to me so any advise would be great. I know it has to be pretty deep and heated to over winter fish. I don't really care about having fish (but DD does) But I really don't want to have to bring in plants or fish for the winter either so trying to explore my options. Are the kits you can buy deep enough to be able to over-winter plants. They are so high and I was just trying to find a cheaper way. Thank you both.
vic

April 5, 2002
12:04 AM

Post #237355

Mystic...depends on what you are looking for as far as exterior. The landscaping ties would be nice. Ours is stone on the outside. It has a two tier waterfall and around 6000 gallons of water. We have around 25 fish and they do fine over the winter. We are "opening" the water garden this week. We keep a net over it in the winter to catch all the leaves, etc. Sledder is right, your pump should work fine and you should certainly be able to use the liner. Good Luck and have fun. I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you may have...vic
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2002
1:02 AM

Post #237388

Thanks Vic I will be hollaring at you. Wow you gals are great! CC the cinder blocks I can get pretty cheap or free maybe that could really be an option.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2002
1:39 AM

Post #237401

Mine isn't that big or all that especially deep. It's probably almost 2 ft at the deepest part and about 225 gallons. My 6 fish did just fine. They pretty much stayed on the bottom all winter but lately have been swimming around some. I guess they're waking up so to speak. Be careful of the cement blocks on the sides. The lime in the blocks isn't good for the water. And you'll need fish to control the bugs that you'll surely get in the water. Even just a couple gold fish is fine. Don't worry Mystic..we'll get you through this. It's sooooo exciting to help someone else since I had so much help in the beginning. I'm excited for you and it's not even my pond!! "T" :)

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 4th 9:40 PM
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2002
2:06 AM

Post #237410

Mystic, Two of my ponds are only 18 inches deep and I keep Goldfish in them, 2 of the goldfishes are 7 inches long, I leave them in the pond all winter and they do fine ( I cover the pond with mesh netting to help keep the leaves out and I use a birdbath heater in the winter to keep a hole in the ice to let the gasses out ) I also leave my hardy water plants in the pond all winter and they come back fine in the spring ~ goldfih are fine in that depth, But, If you have any plans for Koi in the future, Your pond would definately have to be deeper ~ I have a friend who had made some nice ponds by digging along hole(Lengthwise hole) he then put railroad ties around the edges of the hole( but, you could use whatever you wanted as long as it has a little height to it ) He then put the liner in and drapped the extra over the ties and then added stones and such over the part that was drapped ~ It looked absolutely gorgeous!!! And there was plenty of room for fish and plants ( You should built some shelves inside the hole if you plan on doing this because different plants like different depths of water ) the reason why many people raise the edges, Is to keep the run-off from rain out of there ponds. If you have some sort of idea of what you want for a pond , I could ( And I'm sure many others could) help you out better ... Try checking out these 'pond photo's at this site ~> http://www.aqua-mart.com/show.pl?cmd=pictures and see if it gives you some ideas of what you might want ... It takes a few minutes to load, But, It's worth waiting for! ...When you get to the site, Just scroll down, and you will see all the ponds that different people made and it will probably give you an idea of what you would like your pond to be like ~ After your done looking at the ponds, You could check out all the ponding stuff they have on the 'sidebar' "Much To See!!" Well, Good Luck.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2002
2:08 PM

Post #238648

Oh ,the cinderblocks would be a good cheap form for the pond,but ,I agree that you have to line it.First with old blankets or carpet ,so that the blocks don't put a hole in the pool liner.Then lay in the liner.I can't beleive that Iris's pond's are only 18 inches deep in zone 4 and doesent freeze solid!Are they below ground level?An above ground would probably freeze deeper.My ponds are 2 1/2 foot and the other is 4 1/2 foot.The 2 1/2 foot one freezes atleast a foot.The big one is where the fish are and that one I just have the pump shooting water across the surface all winter to keep an opening.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2002
1:57 AM

Post #238973

Sledder: Tell us about your biofilter. We want to make one this spring. Thanks.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2002
3:15 AM

Post #239006

CC is right! I forgot all about mentioning that you should put some kind of padding under the liner! ( Carpeting, blankets, carpeting backing works good ect.)
CC ~ I believe I got the zoneing wrong when I joined DG ( I'm in zone 5 ) And yes, They are below ground level, Plus, I don't have much shade here and the sun beats down on the ponds all day (even in the winter for what sun we get ) And the pond has never frozen much, Only an about an inch.
Boy CC, 4 1/2 ft. deep! ~
I'm green with envy!! LOL! I believe the law in my area is that if you have a water feature thats deeper the 20" , You have to have a fence around it, I wanted a pond and fish, but, No fence! So though they are not that deep, I'm still prety happy with them because I still got what I wanted. This will be the first full summer with the new pond and wateralls that I built at the end of last year, So far, Things are going great !! The fish are doing fine, The bullfrogs are coming to the top (The water bugs are already in it ) the water-plants are growing great! And the plants surrownding the pond are showing growth! ) I'm planning on starting the water-falls going this week and putting some of the plants up on the shelves. I hope everythin keeps going smoothly like this! LOL
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2002
11:51 AM

Post #239073

Debby, you have mail!! "T" :)
CountryBumkin
Kingston, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2002
3:12 PM

Post #239149

Sledder--I would love to know about your biofilter too. I have a commercial biofilter on my old pond but will be starting up my second pond soon and will need a biofilter for it. Can you give me some suggestions?

Mystic--Glad to hear you will be having a pond like you wanted. I hope it all works out good for you. Ponds are a real enjoyment and can be very addictive. LOL I will be glad to help in any way I can but I am still learning new stuff about ponds everyday after all these years. I want to see a pic of your pond when you are finished with it. :)
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2002
2:06 AM

Post #239427

got my pond kit from Sam's club. Compared prices everywhere. Best deal going that I could find!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2002
10:17 PM

Post #242388

Thank you everybody for all the great advice... Guess what I got today? Hubby came home with a pond kit... yippeeee. I think he knew I was determined to have one. Guess he figured this would be lots easier.lol ( I take back all the bad things I have ever said about him. lol) Now all I need to do is get the pool down and start digging.Of course I know I am going to have to find rocks, and plants and fish etc but for now I will be happy to get it in the ground. Thanks for all your help I will be yelling for more...
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2002
12:07 AM

Post #242451

Where is your picture??????? Congrats! was just looking at mine .thinking..."I have to get this thing drained, cleaned. fertilized. REAL SOON!" You gotta talk to your self ..outloud..alot!
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2002
12:55 AM

Post #243185

Well step one is done the pool is down and I did that in the rain. lol Guess that tells you how bad I want to get this going. Mingsmimi your right I need to take before and after pics wish I had done it before I took the pool down. I have had this part of my yard pictured in my head for years. It will be a step by step process but at least I am on the way.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2002
1:06 AM

Post #243192

Its never too late for a Kodak moment. I have the same things in my head too. I bet about 10,534 others do to!lolo

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America