Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Recipes of ALL the USA States

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 102, Views: 2,360
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2001
4:03 AM

Post #2995

Someone sent me (I live in Canada) Recipes of ALL the USA states from Alabama Chocolate Pecan Jumbo Christmas Fudge Pie to Wyoming Sheepherder Chili. There are too many to post here but if anyone would like me to post their State I would be happy to do it.
RiseAnn
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2001
11:57 AM

Post #63416

Now that sounds fun - what have they got for SD? I'm not a native, but I was wondering what kind of beef dish it is and how many potatoes go in, lol!
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2001
1:02 PM

Post #63452

Gardendragon,
What do they have for Pennsylvania? Can't even begin to think what it might be? Thanks.

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2001
3:55 PM

Post #63521

OK here goes, for all those who live in Kentucky, South Dakota and Pennsylvania:

Kentucky Bourbon Brown Sugar Pound Cake

3 c all-purpose flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 c milk
2 t vanilla extract
6 T bourbon
1-1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c plus 1/3 cup sugar
1 c butter (2 sticks), softened
5 eggs
2 T orange juice
Strawberries and blueberries for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup bundt pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Combine milk, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons bourbon. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar until free of lumps. Add butter and beat at high speed until light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into pan. Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. In small bowl, combine orange juice, 1/3 cup sugar, and remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon; brush mixture all over warm cake. Cool cake completely. Garnish with berries if you like.

South Dakota Sunflower Seed Cookies

1-1/2 cups margarine, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cream sugar and butter or margarine. Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Then add coconut and sunflower seeds. Mix well. Shape into one inch balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 minutes or until delicately browned. Makes 2 -3 dozen.

Pennsylvania Dutch Sour Cream Cabbage

1 medium head cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup oil for frying
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pint sour cream
2 cups distilled white vinegar

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage, salt and pepper and cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix sugar and flour together in a medium bowl, then add sour cream and mix well; finally stir in vinegar and mix well. Add mixture to cabbage and simmer all together until desired consistency is reached. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
sayre
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2001
2:41 AM

Post #63755

What a swell idea! What's cooking for Louisiana? I,m here in Virginia, but from La. Thanks
Sayre
RiseAnn
Rapid City, SD
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2001
1:58 PM

Post #63831

Oh fun! Thanks gardendragon! Now I feel so guilty for stereotyping SD, blush ;)
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2001
4:23 PM

Post #63879

Sayre, For Louisiana, What else but Red Beans & Rice? Virginia's sounds delicious.

Louisiana Red Beans and Rice

1 lb red beans, soaked in about 2 quarts water overnight
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
Dash of ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 package smoked sausage, cut in 1/4-inch thick slices

Rinse and drain soaked beans; place in a 5 to 6-quart Dutch oven and add about 6 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender. Stir occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and salt to taste; simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add water as necessary. Serve over hot rice. Serves 6.

Virginia Strawberry Treat

1 pound butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 quart strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
3 egg whites, beaten until stiff
1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers, crushed

Cream butter and sugar. Fold in strawberries, nuts, and beaten egg whites. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking or serving dish with one-third of wafer crumbs. Spoon on a layer of half the berry mixture, add another one-third of the crumbs, the remaining berry mixture, and the last third of the crumbs. Chill several hours or overnight. To serve, cut into squares. Makes 15 to 18 servings. *To toast pecans, place in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350*F (175*C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until pecans are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Or, place in skillet over medium heat and toast, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Be careful not to burn nuts.
kathy_727
Rockford, IL
(Zone 4a)

March 31, 2001
4:25 PM

Post #63880

Wow! The recipies above sound GREAT (especially Kentucky's)!!!! What do they have for Illinois?
Thanks! Kathy
Lana

(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2001
3:18 AM

Post #64112

Hi Gardendragon, if you still feel like typing, LOL, how about one for West Virginia? Thanks, Lana
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2001
3:41 AM

Post #64115

Kathy & Lana Here they are. We will finally get all the States listed!! I am more than happy to give them out as don't have to type them, just copy & paste.

I am not sure how 'faithfull' the recipes are to your state, but Louisanna's Red Beans & Rice I have seen Emeril making on the TV.

Illinois Apple Pie

Crisco Crust:
2 c All-purpose flour
1/4 ts Salt
1 c Crisco shortening
1/2 c Ice water
1/4 c Milk
1/4 c White sugar

Apple Filling:
6 c Tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 c White sugar
1/2 c Brown sugar
1 ts Cinnamon
2 tb Lemon juice
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts Nutmeg
1 tb Butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. For crust, combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knifes until mixture is uniform. Add water; toss lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface, roll bottom crust into circle 1/8" thick and about 1 1/2" larger than inverted 9" pie plate. Gently, ease dough into pie plate, being careful not to stretch dough. Trim edge even with pie plate. For apple filling: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Stir until mixed well. Spoon into unbaked pie shell. Use remaining half of dough to roll top crust, as instructed for bottom crust. Lift onto filled pie. Trim 1/2" beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge under bottom crust; flute as desired. Cut slits or design in top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top crust with milk; sprinkle with white sugar. Bake @ 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until crust in golden brown. Cool and serve .

West Virginia Spoon Bread

2 eggs
1 can (8 oz.) cream style corn
1 can (8 oz.) whole kernel corn
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter
1 box (8 oz.) corn muffin mix, Jiffy, etc.

Combine all ingredients and season to taste. Pour into a 6 x 10 inch greased pan or casserole. Bake 35 minutes at 350 F. Variations: Add schredded cheese to the top in the last 5 minutes of baking, or add diced pimiento and/or green onion slices before baking. May be "spooned" as a side dish or cut and served like corn bread.

sayre
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2001
1:23 AM

Post #64466

Thank you Gardendragon! How about CONCH STEW? Would love to make it. Emeril is great and the Virginia Strawberry Treat sounds like something I will fix for Easter when the crowd comes over. I tease them that they only love me for my cooking and only visit for a 'care package'. But I love it!
Sayre

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2001
11:08 AM

Post #64518

This is a great thread gardendragon. I hope you can persevere through the states. In North Carolina, Barbecue stands out. We have 3 kinds that are commonly used. One is tomato based like Texas'. One is vinegar and pepper based and one is mustard based (around the Pee Dee River area). What recipe was given for NC?
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2001
4:20 PM

Post #64580

Woodspirit1, Yup NC came up Barbecue.

North Carolina Chopped Barbecued Pork

1 1/2 lb Pork shoulder roast
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Celery seed
1/16 ts Cinnamon, ground
3/16 c Vinegar, cider
1/4 c Catsup
1/4 ts Chili powder
1/4 ts Nutmeg, ground
1/4 ts Sugar
1/2 c Water
Vinegar, cider; to taste
Sauce, Tabasco; to taste

Brown roast in a small amount of fat and place in a Dutch oven. Mix the next 9 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over roast and cover. Bake in a preheated 325^ oven, 40 minutes to the pound, until done, basting occasionally with drippings. Transfer roast to a chopping board. Remove meat from the bone and chop into fairly fine pieces. Season to taste with additional vinegar and hot sauce. Serve hot with coleslaw and corn bread.

MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2001
7:21 PM

Post #64623

Removed by member request
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 2, 2001
7:32 PM

Post #64631

How about NY? I'm guessing apples, or some type of fruit!
Nebraska_Jewel
southeast, NE

April 2, 2001
8:38 PM

Post #64690

Gardendragon, How about Nebraska?
sayre
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2001
3:04 AM

Post #64827

Gardedragon, what do you have for Conch?
Sayre
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2001
4:11 AM

Post #64836

Nope MuzMunchken notkeylime pie...or conch. Only recipe I have that gives the calories per serving. Must be for all the slim beautiful people in Florida?!

Florida (South) Tropical Poundcake

It's an extra-moist poundcake loaded with tropical fruit.
Tropical Poundcake:
3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, softened (1 cup)
3 eggs
41/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rum extract
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1 (16-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained reserving 1/4 cup juice
1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped

Crunchy Topping:
1 cup dried plantain chips, crushed
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the coconut in a shallow pan and bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden. In a large nonreactive bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream sugar and butter about 1 minute or until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. By hand, blend in flour, soda, sour cream, vanilla, rum extract, lemon rind and 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice. Mix well. Blend in drained pineapple, mashed bananas and dates. (The mixture will be fairly thick.)
To make topping: In a small bowl, blend all topping ingredients together. Spoon cake batter into a lightly greased and floured 8-inch Bundt pan; sprinkle topping mixture over batter and bake 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and slice. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Per serving: 618 calories, 8 grams protein, 26 grams fat, 92 grams carbohydrates, 99 milligrams cholesterol, 412 milligrams sodium, 38 percent calories from fat.

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2001
4:13 AM

Post #64837

Nepthys, What else but New York Cheesecake? Even I in Canada have heard of your famous cheesecake.

New York Cheesecake

Pastry:
1 c Flour; sifted
1/4 c Sugar
1 ts Lemon peel; finely grated
1 ts Orange peel; finely grated
1/2 c Butter
Egg yolk
1/4 ts Vanilla

Filling:
2-1/2 lb Cream cheese
1-3/4 c Sugar
3 tb Flour
1-1/2 ts Lemon Peel; finely grated
1-1/2 ts Orange Peel; finely grated
1/4 ts Vanilla
5 Eggs
2 Egg yolks
1/4 c Cream

Combine flour and sugar, peels in large bowl. Cut in butter until texture of coarse crumbs. Stir in yolk and vanilla to form a soft dough. Chill at least 1 hour. 400F oven. Roll pastry on floured board to 1/8 in. thick Cut out a 9 in circle; refrigerate the trimmings. Place the circle of dough over the bottom of a greased 9 in springform pan. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Filling: Beat cream cheese with the sugar, flour, lemon and orange peel and vanilla with an electric mixer. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Stir in the cream. Increase oven temp to 550F. Grease sides of springform pan. Roll out the reserved pastry trimmings and cut into strips 2 in. wide. Pat into place against the sides of
the pan, pressing an edge into the bottom crust. Fill immediately with the cream cheese mix. Bake 12 minutes. Reduce temp to 200F; bake 1 hour. Let cake cool on wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2001
4:16 AM

Post #64838

Nebraska_Jewel, Herewith for your state. Sounds like an easy supper dish.

Nebraska Sausage Casserole

1 pound bulk sausage, cooked and drained
1 onion, cooked with the sausage
3 stalks of celery, diced
7 oz macaroni, cooked and drained
1 can celery soup
¼ tsp butter flavoring
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread crumbs
Shredded cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except the last two. Sprinkle bread crumbs and cheese on top. Heat through in oven or on top of the stove.

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2001
4:19 AM

Post #64839

Sayre, Don't have a conch recipe, thought it might be Hawaii, but not. What states have Conch? Thought it was a Jamacian ingredient? What do I know?
Nepthys
Kennedy, NY
(Zone 4a)

April 3, 2001
12:48 PM

Post #64880

Hehehe... oh yeah, the cheesecake... maybe because I avoid the stuff like the plague, I didn't think of it. Me and cheesecake get along TOO well. :)
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2001
11:59 PM

Post #65044

This is originally an old Czech recipe although since learning it from my mother I have made changes. I grew up in Nebraska but now live in California.

Apple Strudel

1 cup milk
1/3 stick butter
Bring to a boil

2 eggs beaten
Pour milk, butter mixture over eggs while beating eggs

Add flour, approx. 2-1/2 cups, while working with the back of a wooden spoon until just firm enough to handle (dough should be as soft as possible)

Divide in two and place in buttered bowls.
Cover with plastic film (better than the moist towel that was used in the past)

Rest for 20-30 minutes in a warm place or over warm water (dough must be kept warm!)

Stretch on a floured cloth (as thin as possible) 2-1/2 or 3 foot diameter

I sometimes cheat and use a rolling pin.

Cover with
sliced apples, 4-5 apples
or sliced peaches or nectarines, 6 or so
or 8 0z. fresh cranberries and 2 or 3 apples, sliced GOOD!!!
Dot with butter

Sprinkle with some or all of the following.
cinnamon
sugar, less sugar with peaches, more with cranberries
flour, more flour with cranberries, even more with peaches
nuts
coconut
raisins

Lift sides of cloth to flip edges in 1 to 1-1/2 inch
(This from a German cookbook it makes the roll much more full without the hard thin ends)

Roll and placed on pan
Sprinkle sugar on top

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes
Rub some butter on the surface to keep it soft and continue baking at 400 degrees for 45 more minutes In my oven 350 is better)
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2001
4:17 AM

Post #65123

George, I thought Apple Strudle was Austrian or German.

Maybe every European nation has their version of Apple Strudle. Delicious!! Lots of work to make the dough though.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2001
1:31 PM

Post #65193

Gardendragon, there are a lot of German, Czech and Polish folks in Nebraska, so a lot of the cooking is from the old country - strudels, kolache, and my all-time favorite: runzas (a beef, cabbage, onion, carrot mixture folded into a bread pocket - to die for!)

George, what part of Nebraska did you grown up in? I spent my first 10 years in SE Nebraska, in a small town south of Beatrice. My parents moved back to Nebraska a few years ago, and have completely renovated my grandparents' home, so we make it back a few times a year...
Nebraska_Jewel
southeast, NE

April 4, 2001
2:44 PM

Post #65228

Yes - runzas are a true Nebraska recipe. I've included the recipe. I've also included a little summary on the Runza restaurants. When I visit friends who have moved from Nebr to New Mexico, I take a batch of runzas to them.

Bread dough (2 loaves)
1 lb Hamburger
1/2 Head cabbage (chopped)
1/2 Medium onion (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Thaw two loaves of frozen bread dough or make the equivalent amount using your favorite bread recipe. While dough thaws, make the filling.
Brown the hamburger and drain, then return to pan. Add cabbage and onion and cook down. Salt and pepper to taste (1 tsp pepper recommended).
Let dough rise, then punch down and roll a portion to 1/4" thickness. Cut into 4" x 8" pieces and add about 1/2 cup meat mixture to each. Fold dough pieces over and seal the edges, then place seam-side-down on a greased cookie sheet.
Let rise 20-30 minutes, then bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until brown. Call Nebraska natives not in attendance and gloat (taunting not advised).

History of Runza® Restaurants
The Runza® Sandwich has German-Russian roots stretching back to the 18th century. The unique blend of fresh ground beef, cabbage, onions and special spices baked inside homemade bread was passed down from one generation to the next, eventually finding its way to America. It made its commercial debut in Lincoln, Nebraska, when Sarah "Sally" Everett and her brother, Alex Brening, opened the first Runza® Drive-Inn in 1949.
Although Sarah and Alex have passed away, Runza® Sandwiches are still being made from their mother's original recipe. The trade name and trademark rights to Runza® Restaurants now belong to Sarah's son, Donald R. Everett, who opened his first Runza® Restaurant in 1966. Under his direction, Runza® Restaurants has grown into a regional chain of Over 60 restaurants in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, Kansas and Colorado.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2001
2:57 PM

Post #65235

Thanks, Nebraska_Jewel! My mom always made hers (and now I do, too) with some shredded carrots, too. I thought that's the way they were "supposed" to be until I read your recipe - I guess it was probably her way of sneaking some carrots into our diets! I've also been known to add a slice of American cheese to mine, although it's probably way out of bounds for a true Runza.

For those who haven't tried these, another selling point (besides their wonderful taste fresh out of the oven!) is that they freeze pretty well if well wrapped/bagged. I continue my mom's tradition of keeping frozen runzas on hand to reheat for quick snacks/meals.
Nebraska_Jewel
southeast, NE

April 4, 2001
3:29 PM

Post #65246

go_vols - sometimes I use the prepackaged shredded cabbage which contains the carrots. I like the carrots but my dh grumbled the last time I made them. The Runza restaurants now several varieties (cheeze, Italian, etc.)

We have some friends who started investing in the Runzas about 10 years ago - wish we would have done that!
PeterNakamura
Claremont, CA

April 4, 2001
6:19 PM

Post #65288

How about California? Did we get Guacamole?
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2001
8:22 PM

Post #65324

Go_Vols I grew up on a farm between Clarkson, Howells, Schuyler, about 80 miles west of Omaha. My mother grew up near Dodge. She was a wonderful gardener (both vegetables and flowers), she canned and then later froze huge amounts of food and was a great cook.

BUT, I have never heard of Runza before.
Nebraska_Jewel
southeast, NE

April 4, 2001
8:27 PM

Post #65330

Hey George - you were raised in the "bohemian alps". I was raised near West Point. My sister and her husband farm near Dodge. (Small world!)
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2001
3:27 AM

Post #65456

Peter, here it is (pretty lame for California I consider)

California Dip

1envelope Lipton Recipe Secretes Onion Soup
1 container 16 oz regular or light sour cream

Blend all ingredients; chill at least 2 hours. Serve with your favorite dippers. For a creamier dip, add more sour cream.

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2001
3:49 AM

Post #65461

go_vols & Nebraska_jewel, Your Runza's sound like the English equivelent as Cornish Pasties. Cornish pasties are made with beef chunks, onions, potatoes & yellow turnips. These were the staple lunch/dinner of the Cornish miners. They are great hot or cold

Cornish Pasty
Makes 16 - six inch pasties
1 Tbsp butter softened

Pre heat oven to 400. Using a pastry brush, coat a large baking sheet with the 1 Tbsp softened butter, set aside.

Pastry
4 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups lard (3/4 lb) chilled & cut into 1/4" bits
8 - 10 tablespoons ice water

In a large chilled bowl, combine the flour, salt & lard. Working quickly rub the flour & fat together with your fingerips till it looks like coarse meal. Pour the 8 tablespoons of ice water all at once, toss together, then gather the dough into a ball. If the dough crumbles add up to 2 Tbsp of water, 1 teaspoonful at at time, till particles adher. Dust the pastry with a little flour & wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. WIth a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut the dough into 6" rounds using a small plate or pot lid as a guide. Gather the scraps together into a ball, roll out again & cut into 6" rounds as before.

Filling
1 cup coarsly chopped white or yellow turnips
2 cups finely diced lean boneless beef, preferably top round
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
2 cups finely dice potatoes
1 cup diced carrots (my mothers addition)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (these have to be highly seasoned with pepper)
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tbsp water

With a large spoon, toss the turnips, beef, onions, potatoes (carrots if using) salt & pepper together. Place about 1/4 cup of the mixture in the center of each pastry round. Moisten the edges of the rounds with a pastry brush dipped in cold water, then fold the rounds in half to enclose the filling completely. Press the seams together firmly & crimp them with your fingers or the tines of a fork. Place the pasties on the prepared baking sheet, & cut two slits about 1" long on the top of each. Brush lightly with the beaten egg/water mixture and bake in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 30 minutes, or until the pasties are golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature.

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 4th 11:52 PM
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2001
8:07 PM

Post #66055

OK, I'm really curious what New Hampshire's is. Probably pot roast!

TIA,
Cedar
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2001
1:41 AM

Post #66139

Cedar: here it is and nope it is not meat & 3 vegs!

New Hampshire Maple Syrup Pie

1 c Maple Syrup (N.H. prefered)
1 ts Butter
2 Egg whites
Pinch salt
Chopped Nuts
1 c Hot water
3 tb Cornstarch
2 Egg yolks
1 tb Maple syrup

Combine syrup, hot water and butter and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch, salt and enough cold water to make a thin paste, add egg yolks and beat well. Add hot syrup mixture gradually, return to heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. Pour into cooked pie shell. Beat egg whites stiff, adding slowly the tablespoon of syrup. Pile on pie and brown in hot oven. Add chopped nuts if desired to top.

northernskyes

April 25, 2001
1:12 PM

Post #70716

Ok, how about Minnesota? Bet it's wild rice hot dish.
Thanks
tashak2
Silver Springs, NV
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2001
5:16 PM

Post #70769

What recipe for NV?
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

April 25, 2001
8:02 PM

Post #70820

Thanks GardenDragon for such a fun thread. I am really enjoying reading all the posts.

What does your list have for Iowa? Pork and corn are big ag sellers -- Iowa has the absolute best sweet corn. We have many Indian and European settlements, so I won't be surprised by any recipe that was selected.
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2001
1:21 AM

Post #70909

Here they are Iowa, MN & NV.

Iowa Corn Casserole

1 lb Bacon, diced
2 c Bread crumbs
1/4 c Minced onion
2 can Cream style corn (16.5 oz. ea.)

In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of the bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of remaining drippings; saute onion and green pepper until tender. Stir in corn and bacon. Spoon into a 1 quart baking dish; sprinkle with crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings. (No mention of green pepper in the ingredients>? Must have been left off?)

Minnesota Munchers

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup toffee bits
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in milk chocolate and semisweet chips, toffee bits and pecans. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire racks. Makes 4 dozen

Nevada Annie's Champion Chili

Dice & Saute:
3 medium Onions
2 medium Green peppers
1 large Stalk celery
2 Cloves garlic
1 small Jalapeno pepper; seeded, fresh

Add:
8 pounds Lean ground chuck
7 ounces Green chilies -- diced
28 ounces Stewed tomatoes
15 ounces Tomato sauce
6 ounces Tomato paste
6 ounces Chili powder
2 tablespoons Cumin
Tabasco sauce to taste
12 ounces Beer -- divided

Dice and saute the first five ingredients. Add the meat and brown it. Add the remaining ingredients. Add water, just to cover the top of the mixture. Cook about 3 hours on low heat, stirring often. Serves 24.

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 25th 9:26 PM
Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

April 26, 2001
5:17 AM

Post #70963

Thanks GardenDragon! That is one way I haven't had corn. I have made a similar dish with whole kernal corn but never with the bread crumbs. I will have to try this recipe.

I promise to let you know how it tastes.
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2001
10:38 AM

Post #70985

Gardendragon, could you post New jersey, has to be something with blueberries? thaks sue
Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2001
11:59 AM

Post #70993

You've caught my attention and curiosity. What do they have for Michigan? How about Wisconsin?
Rainbows_End
Liberty, IN

April 26, 2001
1:03 PM

Post #71015

Hi again, just love them seeds (still playing with them). What do we have for Indiana and Ohio? LOL Tonia
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2001
6:47 PM

Post #71099

OK here are the recipes for IN, MI, NJ, OH & WI.
Glad you like the seeds Tonia.

I am going to be away from this afternoon till either Saturday or Sunday - going to Vancouver to help my daughter move apartments!! Lots of fun, going to clean her fridge, stove & windows!! So bear with me if you request a recipe & dont get it for a few days.

Indiana Butterscotch Pie

1-1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
2 cups milk

Melt brown sugar and butter in saucepan. Add rest of ingredients. Cook until thick in double boiler. Put in baked crust. Top with Meringue.

Meringue:
2 egg whites
pinch salt
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
Dash vanilla
Beat egg whites, salt & sugar till almost still, add vanilla and beat until stiff.

Michigan's Hot Mulled Apple Cider

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Gallon Michigan Apple Cider
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
4 Cinnamon Sticks
1 Tablespoon Whole Cloves
1 Tablespoon Allspice

Place all spices in a small cheesecloth bag. Drop the bag into a pot containing all the other mixed ingredients. Heat, using a Corning or Pyrex pot, and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve in a big mug with a cinnamon stick to stir!

New Jersey Clam Chowder

1/4 lb Bacon
2 medium Onions
24 Chowder clams; liquor reserved
2-1/2 cups Potatoes; sliced - cooked
1/2 ts Pepper
1 ts Celery powder
2 Tb Parsley
2 ts Crab spice (Old Bay)
2 cans Cream of asparagus soup
2 pint Light cream
4 Tomatoes; cut & seeded
Asparagus; garnish

Fry bacon in soup pot until crisp, remove. Saute onion till clear, add clams, liquor, and heat to cook clams. Add potatoes & spices and cook briefly. Add soup, tomatoes and cream. Simmer 10-15 min. Do not boil. Add clam broth to taste. Garnish with asparagus spears. Serves 4.

Ohio Style Chili Recipe

1 pound pork sausage
1 pound ground round
2 cups onion -- minced
1/3 cup garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/3 cup hot chile powder
3 whole bay leaf
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 tablespoons tabasco sauce
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
28 ounces tomato puree
32 ounces canned kidney beans -- drained

Combine sausage, beef, onions, garlic, chile powder, and bay leaf in a stockpot over a moderate flame. Heat and stir for 10-15 minutes, until browned. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Serve hot, garnished with a dollop of sour cream. Serves 12.

Wisconsin Cheese Soup

5 tablespoons margarine
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
5 button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup chopped ham
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large heavy kettle, melt butter or margarine. Add carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and ham; cook over medium heat until vegetables are crisp tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown. Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes. Add broth and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Add milk, paprika, cayenne, and mustard. Stir in cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted. To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve piping hot. Makes 6 servings.

CoCo

May 9, 2001
1:05 PM

Post #73537

gardendragon
How about Texas. Has to be Bar-B-Q for sure.
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2001
4:54 AM

Post #73704

Texas Sheet Cake

For the Cake
2 C Sugar
2 C All-purpose flour
1/4 C Cocoa
1 t Baking soda
1 t Cinnamon
1/2 C Butter (1 stick), melted
1/2 C Buttermilk
1/2 C Canola or other vegetable oil
1 C Water
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 t Vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease & flour a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan. Sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda & cinnamon, & set aside. Stir together the remaining ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, stirring until smooth. The batter will be rather thin. Pour into your prepared pan, & bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Make frosting while the cake is baking.

For the Frosting
1/4 C Plus 2 tablespoons Milk (whole, 2%, skim - doesn't matter)
1/4 C Cocoa
1/2 C Butter
1 pound Confectioner's sugar, sifted (about 4 cups)
1 t Vanilla extract
1 C Chopped pecans

Mix the milk and cocoa in a heavy saucepan (stir, stir, stir). Add the butter and, over medium heat, stir until the butter melts. Remove from heat and gradually stir in the sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add the pecans. When the cake is just out of the oven, spread the frosting evenly over the hot cake. If you aren't sure about your oven, you can test it with one of those little dime store oven thermometers. With its comparatively thin batter, Texas Sheet Cake requires every bit of the 400° heat in your oven, if it's going to get done in 20 minutes.

Happy_Gardener
Cedar Rapids, IA

May 10, 2001
1:30 PM

Post #73754

I have had this cake before. It is yummy!
weebus
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2001
7:29 AM

Post #77395

OK gardendragon I haven't seen Oregon or Washington yet...Oregon's is water and Washington's is beer probably
LOL

Weebus

I sure appreciate this thread, it is so funny yet interesting at the same time...
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2001
4:24 AM

Post #77602

Not water or beer, but apple cake & trail mix!

Washington Apple Cake

3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 cups thinly sliced apples
Topping:
2 (4 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch pan. Spread apples evenly over the bottom of the pan.
Beat eggs with mixer until thick and light. Combine sugar and oil and add to eggs. Stir together flour, cinnamon, soda and salt. Add to egg mixture and beat in. stir in nuts and vanilla. Batter will be very thick. Spread batter over apples in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool. Spread with Cream Cheese Icing.
Topping: To make Cream Cheese Icing: Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in 1/4 cup melted butter, then beat in confectioners sugar and lemon juice. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate.

Oregon Trail Mix

6 cups Kix cereal
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped or whole, roasted Oregon hazelnuts
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup banana chips
1 small package non-instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter

Mix cereal, nuts, raisins and banana chips together. In saucepan, combine vanilla pudding and honey; bring to a boil and boil 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter; mix well. Pour over cereal mix and mix until coated. Put on cookie sheet to cool.

Cena

May 27, 2001
6:46 AM

Post #77612

Thanks for all the drooling! (Good thing I already had dinner!)

I agree, that was pretty lame for California. If anyone DOESN'T have a good recipe for guacamole, say so.

Cena
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2001
7:56 PM

Post #79140

I think I am adding pounds just reading this! And - I'm from CA and *don't* have a good recipe for guacamole ;-)
CARRIGAN
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2001
2:48 PM

Post #81483

Could I have Connecticut...pretty please, though I can't imagine for the life of me what it might be!
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 10, 2001
4:10 AM

Post #81893

Well Carrigan here it is, one of the wierdest recipes I have ever seen. I have been to Connecticut, many years ago and just loved it (I wonder why that lovely state has such a strange recipe?)

Connecticut Yankee Doodle Noodle Salad

12 ounces ziti rigati macaroni, cooked (about 4 ¼ cups)
2 - 1ounce packages turkey jerky, cut into small bite size pieces
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 large bunch red radishes, trimmed and sliced
1 cup fresh corn kernels, blanched (or 1 cup canned kernel corn, drained)
2/3 cup Ranch style dressing
½ 7 oz package puffed cheese snacks (about 1 1/2 cups)
½ 6 oz package sour cream and onion-flavored potato chips (or BBQ) flavor, slightly crushed.
6 servings.
12 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (depending on size)

Toss together cooked macaroni, turkey jerky, onion, radishes and corn. Mix with 1/2 cup of the ranch dressing. Fold in puffed cheese snacks. Scoop into an attractive salad bowl or into individual salad bowls. Drizzle with remaining ranch dressing. Top with potato chips. Garnish with a ring of cherry tomatoes. Reserve remaining puffed cheese snacks and potato chips.
CARRIGAN
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2001
10:41 PM

Post #82357

I have to agree with you, that is one of the strangest recipes I have ever seen...Turkey Jerky, cheese puffs,potato chips, macaroni??????? It boggles the mind, lol!

Please let me assure everyone that we really do not cook or eat food like this in Connecticut! I can't stop laughing!
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2001
11:49 PM

Post #82645

Carrigan, I think it was Milford that we attended a 4th of July Parade (back in about 1970 or 1971). I had only been living in Canada a few years and my husband, self & 3 small children were invited to a friends cottage in CT. What a wonderful State, so beautiful and the 4th July parade was something I had never seen before. Just blew me away how patriotic everyone is to the USA.

I can assure you none of the food our friend served was anything like that strange, strange recipe. Makes me laugh when I read the ingredinets again!!
prain
Nanaimo, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2001
11:56 PM

Post #82650

just up the road from you. any for our area prain in nanaimo ?
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2001
3:52 AM

Post #83006

OK Prain, How about the famous Nanaimo Bars. I send this recipe to everyone all over the world and they all love them. Or the famous UBC (University of British Columbia) Cinnamon Buns

NANAIMO BARS These famous bars are from a town near us. Nanaimo is on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Bottom Layer:
½ cup butter
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. Cocoa
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup nuts, chopped

Middle Layer:
½ cup soft butter
2 Tbsp. vanilla pudding powder
2 cups icing sugar
¼ cup milk

Top Layer:
1 Tbsp. butter
4 - 5oz. semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate bars

Bottom Layer: In a double boiler, melt butter, sugar, cocoa; add egg & vanilla & cook until thickened. Add crumbs, coconut & nuts. Press into buttered 9-inch square pan & chill for about 15 minutes.
Middle Layer: Beat together butter, pudding mix powder, sugar & milk & spread evenly over bottom layer. Chill 15 minutes.
Top Layer: Melt chocolate with butter; cool slightly & gently spread over second layer. Chill until just set. Score with a sharp knife, then cut into squares. (Can be frozen for up to 6 months)
Middle layer Variations:
Cherry Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Kirsch & red food colouring. Mint Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Creme de Menthe & green food colouring. These two are good for Christmas!
Grand Marnier Nanaimo Bars: add 1 tbsp. Grand Marnier

UBC's CINNAMON BUNS (Bread Machine)

Rolls:
1 cup milk
3 Tbsp water, room temperature
1 egg
2 Tbsp butter
¾ tsp salt
3¼ cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp bread machine yeast

Filling:
6 Tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Rolls: Put milk, water, egg, butter, salt, flour, sugar and yeast into bread machine pan in order listed by manufacturer. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to lightly floured surface. If necessary, kneed in enough flour to make dough easy to handle. (This is a soft dough). Cover and let rest for 10 mins. Meanwhile prepare filling. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough into 14"x9" rectangle. Generously brush with 2 Tbsp melted butter. Place remaining 4 Tbsp melted butter in bottom of 10" diameter by 3" high round baking pan. Sprinkle dough evenly with sugar-cinnamon mixture. Roll dough up tightly like jelly roll, starting from the long side; pinch seam to seal. Remeasure and shape back into 14" long roll. With sharpe knife, cut into 2" slices. Arrange slices in prepared pan and cover loosely with greased wax paper. Let rise in warm draft free place for 20 to 30 mins or until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 40 - 50 mins or unitl done. Remove from oven & immediately invert on to serving tray. Makes 7 large cinnamon buns. For each bun 399 calories, 8.3g protein, 15g fat, 57.5g carbohydrate.
Note: for smaller cinnamon buns, roll dough into 12"x 9" rectangle and proceed as above. Cut dough into 12 (1") slices and proceed as above.
Norma

June 15, 2001
7:42 PM

Post #83563

I'm having a blast reading all these recipes, but the one from Connecticut had me howling! It sounds like something from Lileks "Regrettable Foods" website.
CARRIGAN
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2001
1:36 AM

Post #83671

I copied out the recipe so that I can send it to all of my friends...can't wait to see what kind of response I get. Thank you so much for the kind words about our state...It is lovely here! Wouldn't it be funny if it was Milford that you visited, we are a rather small town for the area we live in, it is pretty... with an old fashioned green with fountains and flowers and lovely beaches and generally friendly people. Thank you so much.
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2001
5:40 AM

Post #83720

Carrigan, Yep that sounds like the pretty village we visited on July 4 for the parade, had a lovely town square and 'small town gracious America' feel to it (but must admit don't remember any beaches). I just loved CT and is on my 'To Return' list of places I have visited in the world.
CARRIGAN
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2001
9:34 PM

Post #84147

Make sure you give me a "heads up" when you are coming through!...be happy to show you around. Have to make sure you see the beaches this time!
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2001
9:53 PM

Post #85246

All Texans are not chocoholics...ya know? What happened to my fajitas, my Two-Step Chili, my King Ranch Casserole? Barbeque...where's the BEEF????
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2001
8:07 PM

Post #88694

Eyesoftexas, I guess all the BEEF went to Arizona!

Arizona Desert Chili

2 tb Vegetable oil
3 Garlic cloves -- chopped
2 Onions -- chopped
1 Green bell peppers -- Chopped
3 lb Beef, chopped, not ground
1 ts Ground cumin
1 ts Ground oregano
3 tb Chili powder
10 Tomatoes -- peeled and Chopped
2 Jalapeno peppers -- Optional
1 can Beer

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet. Add garlic, onions and green pepper. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
Add beef and lightly brown on all surfaces. Drain off some of the fat if a lot has accumulated. Lean beef trimmed of all fat should not have an excess amount, however. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour or slightly longer. Put a cover on skillet during cooking time, and slightly tilt it so steam can escape. Check often and stir to prevent sticking. Skim off fat as it rises. Best if allowed to sit, tightly covered, for an hour after cooking is complete. 6 servings.

kbrondel
Centertown, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2001
6:28 PM

Post #109418

I'm really enjoying these recipes and replys. Do you have one for Missouri? Thank you.
Karen
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2001
3:38 PM

Post #110292

Missouri Barbecue Sauce

2 tb Oil
3/4 c Cider vinegar
1 t Garlic -- finely minced
1/2 ts Sugar
1 tb Chili powder
1 t Dry mustard
1 t Paprika
1/2 ts Ground cumin

Combine all ingredients, heat to boiling and allow to cool. Let set for at least one hour for flavors to blend.

Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2001
7:00 PM

Post #110958

gardendragon is the beer to put in the chilli, or to cool your mouth down while eating!
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2001
3:48 PM

Post #111318

Put it in the Chili with all the other ingredients, I assume, but then there is nothing to stop you from opening another can/bottle of beer and consuming it whilst the chili is cooking or you are eating the chili.
Lilith
Durham
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2001
7:44 PM

Post #111417

hehe, nice one! i was hoping that would be the case

lil
JSS
Cordova, MD

August 17, 2001

Post #111620

Okay Gardendragon!!1 This is fun=seeing all this... I and know you probably can;t post until another few days- but... I'll be away till next Monday...
So what about good old Maryland???? I haven;t seen that one yet! And since I'm goning out to New Mexico tomorrow- what kind of recipte do they have? I'm not guessing because it seems the receipt shave no correlation to the States- but many sound sooo yummy!!!
thanks for doing this thread!
-JSS
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2001
6:16 PM

Post #112741

what about mississippi? please dont tell me RoadKill Stew, lol
i've printed so many of these out,
thanks for sharing!!!
Rosie
West Simsbury, CT
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2001
12:22 AM

Post #112834

Connecticut??? What a strange recipe! lol.

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 19th 8:33 PM
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2001
12:13 AM

Post #113276

Herewith the requested recipes, (what else but Maryland Crab cakes!?)
Maryland Crab Cakes

4 ounces bread crumbs, unseasoned
3 dashes hot pepper sauce
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 ounces mayonnaise
4 springs parsley, roughly chopped
1/4 green pepper, fine dice
1/4 red pepper, fine dice
1 egg white
1 scallion, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 ounces Dijon mustard
1 pound jumbo lump Maryland crabmeat
Oil for pan frying

In a bowl, combine 1-ounce bread crumbs, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, parsley, peppers, egg white, scallion, lemon juice, old bay, dry mustard, onion powder, and Dijon mustard. Once combined, gently fold in crabmeat. Once fully incorporated, form into 2 to 3 inch cakes. Dredge in remaining bread crumbs. Pan fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Yield: 2 Servings

New Mexico Red Bean Chili

2 lb Lean ground beef
1 Large chopped onion
2 Jars canned pimentos (7oz.)
3 1/2 cups Beef broth
1 can Whole tomatoes (28 oz.)
1 tsp Ground allspice
2 tsp each cumin & coriander (ground)
4 tsp Oregano leaves
1/2 cup New Mexico chile
3 can Kidney beans, drained (#303)

Crumble beef into 5-6 qt. pan over high heat. Cook, stirring, until beef is well browned. Lift our meat and set aside. Discard all but 2 tbs. of the drippings. to drippings, add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft. Meanwhile, puree pimentos and their liquid in blender. Return beef to pan with pimento puree, broth tomatoes (break up with spoon) and their liquid, allspice, cumin, coriander, oregano, ground chile, and beans. Bring to boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer until thickened to you liking; stir often. Serves 6.
Note: Substitute roasted red pepper in place of pimento if desired. Proceed as directed.
(PS I do not know what New Mexico chile is, is it a spice,vegetable or what?)

Mississippi Cornbread

1 cup buttermilk (or 7 ounces of milk + 1 ounce vinegar or lemon juice, mixed and left to sit for about 30 minutes until curdled. If you're in a hurry, mix the milk and vinegar or lemon juice and microwave it for 20-30 seconds on high power.)
1 large egg
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder (if you're at high altitude, use 1 teaspoon baking powder, else the cornbread will rise too high, then fall)
1 1/2 tablespoons of bacon drippings or vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole kernel corn
1/2-3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar (optional
1-4 finely chopped jalapeno or chile peppers, no seeds (optional)
2 cloves finely minced garlic (optional)

Pour drippings or oil into an 9-inch square baking pan. Heat pan in a 450 degree oven until oil is smoking hot. While pan is heating, mix dry ingredients and any of the optional ingredients in medium-sized bowl. Beat egg into buttermilk. Add liquids to dry mixture, just until blended. Do not overmix! Carefully remove the smoking pan from oven and pour cornbread batter into pan. If the oil is properly hot, then the batter will sizzle as it hits the oil. (This sizzle is what makes a nice, crunchy bottom crust.) Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve with butter or margarine.

Note 1: The batter will begin to rise as soon as the liquid and dry ingredients are mixed, so mix them right before you remove the hot pan from the oven.

Note 2: If you use a 10" round cast-iron skillet instead of the 9" baking pan, you should double the recipe without doubling the oil. If you don't double the recipe for the 10" skillet, your cornbread will be very thin.

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 25, 2001
10:25 PM

Post #116116

I can't even imagine what the recipe would be for North Dakota. Something with wheat or sugar beets perhaps? Could be interesting. Thanks for this thread. I think I'm going to print it out and try most of the recipes this winter.
Joan
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2001
12:11 AM

Post #116586

Here you are JoanJ, the North Dakota dinner sounds interesting, might make it for my grandkids next week. Also whilst I was at it have also given you South Dakota. Two very different recipes. This has been fun. Have we covered all the USA yet?

North Dakota Dinner

1 lb. hamburger
2 16 oz.cans cream style corn
5 med.potatoes, peeled & sliced
2 tbsp. butter or margarine, cut into 6 pats
2 tsp. flour
1 tsp. paprika
1 small onion (to be cooked with hamburger)optional

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Brown hamburger & onions. Drain. Put half of hamburger into casserole dish, then layer half of sliced potatoes, add remaining hamburger & then the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle flour over potatoes & add three pats of butter or marg. Cover with creamed corn & sprinkle with paprika. Add remaining 3 pats of butter or marg. on top. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until potatoes are done.

South Dakota Sunflower Seed Cookies

1-1/2 cups margarine, softened
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cream sugar and butter or margarine. Add flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Then add coconut and sunflower seeds. Mix well.
Shape into one inch balls and bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 15 minutes or until delicately browned.
Makes 2 -3 dozen.

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 27, 2001
6:55 AM

Post #116682

Thank you gardendragon. I should have suspected a beef recipe, but thought it might be something different. I'm going to make the ND recipe tomorrow night for supper. The SD sunflower cookies also look delicious. Hmmm...okay, printing all these off and making grocery list.

I've really enjoyed reading all the recipes and will more enjoy trying them all. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who tries any of them, as I will also give feedback if that's allowed.

Joan (who's garden season is almost over and cooking season is about to start)
jennifer
Montevideo, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 2, 2001
3:09 AM

Post #137751

Hi I make the northdakota dinner allot in the winter. but,I substitute a can of whole kernal for one of the creamed & add a can (what ever flavor you like cr.of mushroom,or creamof chicken ,or cream of celery)& a half a can of milk.Depending on the night I sometimes also add cheese.It`s a good recipe(altho my mom didn`t teach me w/ recipes it was some of this a pinch of that...lol you know how it goes)to experment with has all kinds of possibilities! I have used ham in place of the beef also.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2001
5:50 AM

Post #139384

Great idea Jennifer. The creamed soup would definitely add something to it. When I made this, it seemed to be lacking something, and I'm thinking that is what it was. The cheese would be great also. I'm gonna make this again one of these next nights with your suggestions. Thanks
Joan
jennifer
Montevideo, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 4, 2001
12:40 PM

Post #139481

YW...
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2001
12:01 AM

Post #139917

I just found this thread, and there are some yummy things here. I was born in WV...first time I ate spoon bread was when I move to VA as a bride. Va... strawberry? ...sounds good, but when I think of VA I think of Smithfield Cured Ham, or Oysters,...or spoon bread. The NC BBQ is right on target, and am glad to get this recipe.FL? Definetly Grouper, Keylime Pie...and anything with Strawberries!Now I am in AZ...Tex-Mex!! Great thread...can't wait to try some of them...Jo
BittysGarden

(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2001
3:21 AM

Post #140117

Hey I'm afraid to ask for the
Arkansas recipe!!!! Go ahead
and let me have it.
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2001
3:51 AM

Post #140151

Have we covered ALL the states?????

Arkansas Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup water
1/8 cup black pepper
3 oz brown sugar
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
3 oz Worcestershire sauce
3/4 qt red wine vinegar
3 oz yellow mustard
1/4 qt white wine
1/4 cup ketchup
3 oz salt

Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 1/2 hour. Do not cook or store in aluminum, store in glass.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2003
12:29 AM

Post #461391

I was just looking for a Pot Roast recipe and came upon this thread. It is just too much fun to allow it to wallow in the archives.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2003
3:33 AM

Post #461483

Gardendragon!!! I hope you are still watching this thread. I'm trying to compile all these recipes into a file. Unless I missed some recipes, I need:
Alabama
Alaska
Colorado
Delaware
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Kansas
Maine
Massachusetts
Montana
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
Wyoming

Thanks for any help with completing this.
Joan
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2003
3:50 AM

Post #461497

It is pretty cool isn't it?
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2003
4:06 AM

Post #461511

Yeah Liz, it is. I remember this thread, and I remember trying the North Dakota recipe. I've made it a few times since, but modified it everytime. It's great. Tonight when you brought this thread back up, I decided to make myself a file of all the state recipes and discovered that some were never on the thread, (or I missed them). I'm going to go back through this thread again to check. I thought it would be neat to have it in a file.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7238857

Bump (:o)
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #7239038

What have you got for Colorado? Something with deer or elk meat?
DenverJude
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #7239323

I make bison chili - would that count?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2009

Post #7239554

check this link, click each state to know recipe from that area http://www.mychefsfavorites.com/recipes/index.html

hopefully this link complete the missing links.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #7239586

another link http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/staterecipes.html
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #7239624

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq4.html

more link...
http://www.whats4eats.com/north-america/united-states-cuisine

This message was edited Nov 3, 2009 9:05 PM
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7240618

Fun! Thanks for the links, MaVie!
hope43
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #7246673

thats what i wanted the links thanks so much MavieRose...
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 7, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7248743

what a fun site! i know when i moved to indiana they had some dishes i hadn't had before and learned to like and same for when i moved to texas---
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7248817

I love that NY is cheesecake. If you ever get the chance to get to Juniors you'll know why. I used to work in Abraham and Straus dept store by Juniors and go there whenever I could.

My daughter's high school was close and she used to go all the time after school. When we moved upstate after 9/11 it was one of the things we missed most.

Last week my SIL mailed me a Junior's cheesecake. I got home and it was on the porch. I laughed and then I devoured!
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7248861

Me and my girlfriends do a food night once a quarter (we're accountants hence the quarter) I would love for our next theme to be draw a state and then we will cook the recipe for that state. Hope no one gets Connecticut

This is great
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #7249062

From Massachusetts what else but Boston baked beans

2 cups of Navy beans
1/4 lb salt pork
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup light molasses
1/2 tsp mustard
1 TBL brown sugar

Cover washed beans with 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes, cover and let stand for 1 hour; then cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid.

Put beans in a stone pot or equal heavy pot, cut through pork rind every half inch to rind, bury it in the beans with rind showing. Mix one cup of the liquid with rest of ingredients. Add enough to cover beans. Cover, bake in preheated 300'
oven for 6 to 8 hours but uncover pot an hour before.
hedandan
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #7250015

How about the Jersey Devil Cake ?

http://www.theoutlaws.com/ghosts2.htm

A scary legend, and a good cake recipe at the very end of the story.
planolinda
Plano, TX

November 29, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7318721

has anyone tried either of the barbque recipes on this thread? i might try canning them and wonder if anyone can tell if they are good or not
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #7322951

bookreader. i can't believe it. i worked for A and S as a stock boy while going to bushwich high schoolin the late 50's.. i remember juniors well but i don't think its there any more. haven't been there since then but i remember how beautiful A and S looked during the christmas holiday season, all 7 or 8 floors of it.

they don't make stores like that any more.

frank

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7322956

gardendragon - you deserve to take a big bow for your effort. it was greatly appreciated.

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8668582

What you got for South Carolina
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8703137

neat idea, I'm going to copy these off, I'd love to have them all. I don't think I read anything for Arkansas but I might have missed it lol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM
Bread In A Jar Gayl 11 Aug 30, 2007 9:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America