Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Plant markers

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 7, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lantana

(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2001
11:35 PM

Post #421

Just got my Select Seed catalog and they had some very neat garden markers made of birch sticks. They are 12" long, cut to a point at one end, and have a flat place carved at the top to put the name of the plant. They are painted in a clear lacquer to help preserve. I am going to make some out of my bois c'arc sticks. I probably won't have to paint them at all as bois d'arc is a very hard wood.
Sari
Saint Helen, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2001
8:16 PM

Post #46540

Where does bois d'arc wood come from? I am a woodworker and tree lover and have never heard of it. I went through my "Trees of North America and Europe" book and I couldn't find it. I would like to know more about bois d'arc like where it grows, what it looks like and so on.
BTW The hardness of the wood has little to do with it's abiliy to last in contact with the soil.
lantana

(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2001
11:12 PM

Post #46558

Go to this web site and it has quite a nice, short history of the Bois d'arc...sorry, didn't think it might not exist everywhere...the barbed wire fences they talk about in the article many times used the bois d'arc for the fence posts...with some of them sprouting and growing again. It is a beautiful tree when full grown, but a little unpleasant in the beginning...it will survive cattle browsing. I have four huge ones on my place. I have no idea how old they might be...it takes three adults to reach around their trunks. The wood is very hard and just does not rot...I live in a farm house that's over 100 years old and its foundation is bois d'arc stumps. They are so hard you cannot drive a nail into them. They are one of my favorite trees, but they are not for the town dweller unless you only want one tree.
This is the site you can go to and see what one looks like in winter...
http://www.uaex.edu/newsweb/articles/plant58.htm
Sari
Saint Helen, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2001
4:08 AM

Post #46591

That tree goes by Osage Orange here in michigan and I have it of it before. When I went to my "Trees of Michigan and the Upper Great Lakes" it had a note in there calling it Bois d'arc.
Thanks for the info!
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2001
2:14 AM

Post #46731

It's also called "hedge apple" in many parts of the country.

It's a beautiful wood, by the way; a favorite of boyers because staves made from it are tough, resilient, but not brittle.
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2001
3:00 AM

Post #46741

The hedgeballs or hedgeapples, as we call the fruit are a great deterent to mice, spiders, roaches and other bugs. You collect the hedgeapples in the fall of the year, cut them in half and place around your basement or utility room or wherever you can. It keeps most of the unwanted critters above away. It does work. Debby
Patty

January 9, 2001
3:19 AM

Post #46746

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2001
12:52 PM

Post #46940

Patty: Yes, they are poisonous. Another thing that I have seen done with is Christmas ornaments. Slice hedgeballs into about 1/4 inch slices, let dry, spray paint silver or gold, put string on for a hanger and hang on the tree or gift packages. Debby

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America