Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Orange/black shield shaped big eating my brussels sprouts?!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
5:27 PM

Post #26282

What is this swarming on my brussels sprouts plants? It's shaped like those green squash bugs ~ wide shoulders that taper to a rounded hind end. It's about 3/8 inch long, orange being the basic color with black spots on each side and a black triangle in the middle below the shoulders. Underneath is basically black with lots of white and orange making a rather intricate and balanced pattern of triangles, ovals and dots. It's not really a beetle, I don't think, but does have wings and a shiny shell covering them. It has six legs and the antennae aren't but maybe 1/8 inch long.

Any ideas? Times like this I wish I had a camera that took close-ups!

(I also posted this on "Garden Talk," so if you remember seeing it somewhere else, no, you're not losing it! LOL!)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
6:18 PM

Post #237653

Louisa gave me the answer on Garden Talk ~ it's a Harlequin bug. Thanks again, Louisa! Man, she's fast! Now off to find out how to get rid of them...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2002
6:22 PM

Post #237655

Do they chew the leaves, or do they seem to suck the juices from the plants?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2002
6:26 PM

Post #237659

Here's one link:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/leaf/harlequin_bug.htm
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
7:01 PM

Post #237677

Awesome site, Kimberly! Thanks so much! I've got it bookmarked now! It says to control them by hand-picking and smashing eggs ~ just what Louisa's site said and the others I've found. ICK! But atleast I've got lots of practice at that. *grin* Off I go to get my bucket of beer and head to the garden...
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2002
10:28 PM

Post #237764

Aww, Wingnut, don't take it so hard! It's nothing to drive you to drink a bucket of beer.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
10:58 PM

Post #237785

Hee-hee, Aimee...the beer's for the bugs ~ I like to send 'em off with a smile on their face (What a way to go, huh?). Then I feed the compost pile's alcohol habit. Now, the bucket of wine's for me. *grin*
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2002
10:59 PM

Post #237786

Attagirl!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America