Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Orange/black shield shaped big eating my brussels sprouts?!

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
5:27 PM

Post #26282

What is this swarming on my brussels sprouts plants? It's shaped like those green squash bugs ~ wide shoulders that taper to a rounded hind end. It's about 3/8 inch long, orange being the basic color with black spots on each side and a black triangle in the middle below the shoulders. Underneath is basically black with lots of white and orange making a rather intricate and balanced pattern of triangles, ovals and dots. It's not really a beetle, I don't think, but does have wings and a shiny shell covering them. It has six legs and the antennae aren't but maybe 1/8 inch long.

Any ideas? Times like this I wish I had a camera that took close-ups!

(I also posted this on "Garden Talk," so if you remember seeing it somewhere else, no, you're not losing it! LOL!)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
6:18 PM

Post #237653

Louisa gave me the answer on Garden Talk ~ it's a Harlequin bug. Thanks again, Louisa! Man, she's fast! Now off to find out how to get rid of them...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2002
6:22 PM

Post #237655

Do they chew the leaves, or do they seem to suck the juices from the plants?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2002
6:26 PM

Post #237659

Here's one link:
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/leaf/harlequin_bug.htm
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
7:01 PM

Post #237677

Awesome site, Kimberly! Thanks so much! I've got it bookmarked now! It says to control them by hand-picking and smashing eggs ~ just what Louisa's site said and the others I've found. ICK! But atleast I've got lots of practice at that. *grin* Off I go to get my bucket of beer and head to the garden...
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2002
10:28 PM

Post #237764

Aww, Wingnut, don't take it so hard! It's nothing to drive you to drink a bucket of beer.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2002
10:58 PM

Post #237785

Hee-hee, Aimee...the beer's for the bugs ~ I like to send 'em off with a smile on their face (What a way to go, huh?). Then I feed the compost pile's alcohol habit. Now, the bucket of wine's for me. *grin*
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2002
10:59 PM

Post #237786

Attagirl!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America