Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Anyone know what this is??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2002
5:09 PM

Post #26353

Now that spring has sprung here it's fun to see what is growing in my DS's yard. Noticed this blooming the other day..reminds me of a magnolia,but the leaves don't look right to me. but then my thumbs still haven't turned green yet. LOL

Thumbnail by Ginger_H
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2002
9:08 PM

Post #238306

That is so pretty! Leaves look like syringa but it isn't for sure.. could be Magnolia. Maybe -- I'm not good at this
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2002
11:07 PM

Post #238384

Look at the high centre of the bud flower and the anthers and stamens..more of a hot climate Magnolia...beautiful flower! unusual???? Elaine
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2002
2:42 PM

Post #238661

A friend came over yesterday. From the pictures he suggested some sort of miniture magnolia. Sounds reasonable,I suppose,or some sort of wild native. The ladies who owned my place and DS's were great friends and did a lot of tromping around digging things up.
SquareRoot

April 7, 2002
4:32 PM

Post #238702

You have a young saucer magnolia tree (Magnolia soulangiana). I think maybe a "Pink Superba" variety. Although it could be "Liliputian", which have mainly light pink flowers. Saucer magnolias I've seen before are usually covered dense in flowers, more than leaves, in the early spring.

Your DS has a beautiful plant. You may want to consider improving the soil for more flowers next year. A number of state universities have great horticultural department web sites with information regarding ideal ph balances, insect suceptibility, and disease identification for a variety of tree specimens. Keep in mind that there is better information on specific plants growing in zones whose university is in the same zone. Such as the University of Hawaii has better information on palm trees than say the University of Maine. Being in zone 8, I suggest you check out California Polytechnic's site (http://selectree.calpoly.edu) for starters.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2002
3:20 PM

Post #240972

Thanks SquareRoot...saucer magnolia rang a bell for both of us..I'll check out sites for it in Fl. which is where we are

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America