-
AuthorContent
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2002
9:45 PM

Post #26513

i have these seeds sprouting everywhere. i don't think i planted them? please help i don't know what i want to do about them yet.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2002
9:59 PM

Post #239310

To me those look like balsam seedlings. Did you grow them last year? The pods explode and throw the seeds all over. If you didn't plant any it could be wild jewel weed which is the same genus - and seedlings look similar. If it's growing near by it could have trhown seeds into your garden. I have some in the ditch behind my compost heap and it throws the seeds into the pile - drives me crazy! They're easy to pull out tho.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2002
11:36 PM

Post #239355

Questions. Is the seed laying on the inch side of the ruler? Do you have any larger/clearer pics of the seedlings or any with second leaves?
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2002
4:00 AM

Post #239488

yes that is the seed on the " side. no all the seedlings are about that size but are growing pretty quick. so i guess i will let them grow till or if they look bad then decide lol. the bed they are in was my throw in the winter bed so i guess it will be a surprise this summer. i am going to go look up those suggestions now thanks.
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2002
5:14 AM

Post #239509

i looked up both the jewelweed and balsam. i am not sure. the leaves on mine are shiny. i thought it was my avacado tree sending off babies until i noticed the seed. if it does turn out to be the jewelweed dh will be happy he can catch poison ivy just thinking about it. i will be on the look out for this growing wild.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2002
11:22 AM

Post #239553

If the seed is that big it probably isn't balsam or jewelweed.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2002
1:46 PM

Post #239610

Aren't the leaves on the balsam and Jewel weed more round? That's a very large seed.
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2002
2:27 PM

Post #239616

Don't think it's Balsam, I just went out & checked mine. The first leaves are more rounded. The true leaves are pointed tho like yours, The seeds does look like balsam seed to me. Have to wait til it gets a little bigger to tell for sure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America