-
AuthorContent
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2001
12:12 PM

Post #3058

I've been asked about my seed-drying racks. For anyone interested, here's how I make them:

Starting with 1 x 3 lumber, I cut two pieces 12 inches long, and two 18 inches. Then I set my rip fence to the width of the wood, and cut a strip off each piece. These will be 3/4" square. Large holes are bored in the main pieces, to providing ventilation from underneath.

The main pieces are glued and nailed to form a rectangle, and a piece of window screen is stapled in place. The 3/4" square pieces are then glued and nailed on top of the screen.

This top-frame serves several purposes. First, it seals the wire of the screening, so there is no danger of pricks and cuts from exposed wire. And it serves as a retaining fence for the seeds.

In use, seeds are spread in a single layer on the wire, and the rack put on a shelf in my drying room. Their shape is such that they are stackable (and the large holes provide ventilation). I've stacked them five high with no problems---a great space saver. Don't forget to label each rack as to the type of seed and the date you put them up to dry.

That's it. A simple, easy-to-construct device.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2001
2:19 PM

Post #63849

The man with the plan. Sounds good, Brook.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 1, 2001
2:36 PM

Post #64183

Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if I could build that? I'm just not sure that I can be trusted with an electrical saw OR nails for that matter. Yup, I'm a _very_ dangerous woman. LOL

Terri
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2001
3:26 PM

Post #64197

Pete,

If you're going to rip these pieces you have to do it on a table saw. Trying it with a circle saw is _very_dangerous.

Of course, you could do them by hand. You know the difference between hand tools and power tools? Hand tools know when they are cutting flesh.

The "nails" are actually wire brads, BTW.
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2001
11:49 AM

Post #64531

Well, I guess that just leaves one thing then...you'll have to build me some seed drying racks and mail them to me. How about for my birthday in June? ROFL!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America