Perennials: Bleeding hearts

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Should I cut the blooms off from the ends of the flower stalks when they have died out, or should I just leave them to wither away?

My plant has blossomed faster than that of any other around here, mainly because my yard is quite sheltered, and doesn't get as many cold winds directly on to the plants as friends with gardens, or allotments.

Another wee question: How do I take seeds from this plant? I would really like to spread this one around in some little nooks-and-crannies here in our area.

It has been very easy to grow from a root-block which I was given last October.

All the best

Wintermoor

Thumbnail by Wintermoor
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I usually cut my bleeding heart back after flowering. In hot dry summers that plant yellows and dies down to the ground in mid-summer. Cutting it back just keeps it tidier looking. The seeds are small 1-inch pods that will dangle from the flower stalk - just as the flowers did. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of seed produced on my plant and I never manage to catch them before they fall to the ground. Even so - I've had a few stray seedlings pop up underneath that I was able to relocate. From what I've read the seed should be planted fresh - it doesn't have a very long storage life.

Thank you Poppysue,
I'll take that advice as gospel and try this out,(cos I had a wee sneak look at your journal tonight - it's like an encyclopeadia - excellent).

Thank you again

All the best

Wintermoor

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Wintermoor: Let them go to seed and they will spring up here and there. If you collect the seeds, they have to be kept moist. Which to me is too much trouble. So i just let Mother Nature do her thing with the seeds. Or you could collect them and broadcast them where you would like them to come up next year. They also need periods of cold and warm temps to germinate. The seeds are round and black with a white spot on them, in the long green pod. There is about 6 seeds in a pod.

Thank you Debby,

I'll try that as well

All the best

Wintermoor

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Wintermoor, did you see poppysue's web page???????? she's a fantastic gardener, I want to be her when I grow up.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

TiG, she is a wonderful gardener isn't she? Wonder if the wonderful Maine summers have anything to do with it? Maybe just a bit, but her thumb is definitely green!! I've learned a lot from her.

No tiG, I haven't seen her web-page, just her journal on here, and that is excellence itself.

She has an answer for just about every question. Brilliant!!

All the best

Wintermoor

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Wintermoor, take a look at this!! http://communities.msn.com/PoppysuesGarden/homepage.msnw

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Sheeesh!! You girls are pouring it on a little thick - aren't ya! ;-) I know you both have gardens that are just as nice (if not nicer!) than mine!! Thanks for the boost in my confidence tho. I look out the window now at all the brown yuck and feel a little discouraged. I don't know where to begin...

Thanks for the tip tiG,

Poppysue, I just looked at your homepage. What a beautiful garden, it makes me feel so daft with my 6 flower beds in a yard.

You have the feel for colour and balance, which is very difficult to learn. I've just been popping plants into my beds, and hoping for the best, so that I can see where they belong next year, but I'll never get that sort of feel as you have.

Beautiful garden, and an excellent website

All the best

Wintermoor

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Wintermoor: We have such cool summers here that my bleeding heart stays green all summer and even throws a few more blooms in late summer. It stands about four feet tall and has spread about four feet across. Every spring I plan to divide it, and every spring I am too busy, but this year, I swear it shall be done!

I've had both pink and alba bleeding heart, and while the pink seldom produces much seed, the alba was quite prolific. I collected seed, but they never germinated. I discovered later on that they have an oily base that requires immediate planting. This year I plan to broadcast a bit of seed in the bed around the plants in the fall and let them sprout under the mulch in the spring.

(Zone 6a)

I usually leave mine alone. I have it placed in shade on the north wall of my haus. They get a little worn out in the summer, but I just clip off the part that looks bad. It stays moist where they are planted as well.

Thanx to you both Weezin & hc,

now I've got lots of info.

All the best

Wintermoor

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Poppysue, just looked at your home page and it is beautiful and I love your cramming. Was so suprised for you to say, you had a reg. job. I thought you worked 24 hrs. a day in your flowers.

Mohnton, PA(Zone 6a)

Wintermoor, I just took a walk through your garden and I'm so envious I can't stand it. I'm just beginning my outdoor landscaping and you have made my mouth water! Thanks for the stroll!

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

poppysue, I just looked at your web page again and it is better than I remembered.

I live in Connecticut and have many bleeding hearts around my house. I have white and pink. What I do is when they dry
down to brown sticks I chop the entire plant to the ground
In the spring you will see little nubs coming out of the ground and they come up every year. To start new ones or give one away I dig up part of the plant at flower time and plant it somewhere else or give it away to a friend or neighbor. My older plants are 4 feet in diameter. Everyone
remarks how beautiful they are. I do nothing else.
They seem to be larger close to the house. Maybe more heat from the foundation of the house. I don't know.
Good Luck

Flower Mound, TX(Zone 7b)

How do you view a webpage? I can't find poppysues garden site...I'm new to DG.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Pamela

I cannot access it either, so it is possible it no longer exists. The address was posted over two years ago. Click on PoppySue's name and send her an e-mail. She can tell you of its fate!... and welcome to Dave's Garden!

East Greenbush, NY

poppysue, several people have drooled over your home page..I want to, too. how do I get there? Do you hae your own website. jeani4

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Sorry but my website is long gone. I hadn't been keeping it up and they take it down after no activity for so long. I've put most of the pictures in journal here....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images