Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Pond Pump and electric???

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 351
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RavenBuck
Raphine, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2002
10:51 PM

Post #26757

Hubby is fussing at me because of where I want to put the second Pond.
It will be 50 feet at the most up a 30 to 40 degrees climb, so I have to put the pump at the lower pond and pump the water back up to the small one.
My question is whho can help me determine the cost of of electric bill going up? LOL
It's a big pump, like 350 gallon an hour.
Thanks for any help.
I need facts to show hubby.
vic

April 12, 2002
12:16 AM

Post #241231

DH just walked in and I have asked for his input as he built our pond. The pump itself should not pull more than 35 watts if you are talking about 350 gallons an hour which is a little more than one half the electricity than a 60 watt light bulb is using so your electricity is minimal. But, going 50 feet on a 30 to 40 degree climb will give you almost a 25 foot head pressure which is more than the pump is capable of producing. You won't get any water out of it if we are talking about the Mag drive type submersible pump which only pumps 10 and one half feet high until no water comes out of the end of it. To go the height and length that you want, you are going to have to get a shallow well jet pump which is going to cost one h*** of a lot of electricity and if you want the stats on that, DH will give them to you. If all else fails, I will let you borrow him for a little while. Our pond is beautiful and has 3 pumps. All not usually on at once and each has a different function. Good Luck!!!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2002
12:42 AM

Post #241242

vic, I think you could put DH on a whirlwind tour, and have him "consult" with several of us, spending a few days here and there, LOL. Lucky you!
RavenBuck
Raphine, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2002
2:23 AM

Post #241320

Ok, I looked and it's a 3450 gall, 12 AMP. 1.0 horsepower, 115 current I think.
It's a huge pump called Sand dollar that a friend gave up.
Great, hubby will be smiling from head to toe over the fact that he was right about the further I put it awy the more it costs to pump up hill, RATS! LOL
I want it to be flowing but only just what I need to get it back up the hill.
thank you so much

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America