-
AuthorContent
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2002
11:29 AM

Post #26786

Well, at least I think that's what it is. I could hear this noise last evening and it sounded like a spring peeper. I put a flashlight on the pond and I thought I saw a frog. Kinda hard to see though. Now, question is...is this a good thing? or bad? I'm thinking good...right??? Thank you! By the way, is anyone else feeding their fish yet? I just started yesterday. The water has been above 55 deg for almost a week. And I just can't resist the little beggers. lol Thank again!! "T" :)
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2002
12:27 PM

Post #241499

and before long, you will have thousands. Nothing heralds in spring to me like the sound of my frogs. Some nights they get so loud it's awesome! not feeding my fish yet, water is still too cold. are you just feeding them Cheerios for now? they have to start out slow
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2002
12:28 PM

Post #241500

Crushed food for now and not very much. Thousands you say? eeekk!! lol "T" :)
vic

April 12, 2002
11:08 PM

Post #241738

Started feeding my fish about 3 weeks ago when the water got to 55. It's now 65. I know you can feed them at 50 but I'm always a little nervous on startup. I usually start out with a spring food that is easy on their digestion. I also plant kale and spinach for them which is good for them as well. And boy do we have frogs. tiG is right...you will have thousands. And yes, this is a good thing. They eat mosquitoes, slugs, all sorts of bugs. I love the sound. We have a bull frog this year. I bet if you look close in your pond you will see tons of tadpoles...
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2002
12:08 AM

Post #241757

Sledder, Congratulations!!!!! Now you have a living pond.
Don't worry about an overpopulation of frogs, if there are to many they leave. Our pond is 3 years old and a frog and toad haven, I just love watching them and listening to them. When I hear the first one I know for sure winter is finally over. ENJOY them. P.S. My Koi make a game of chasing them...
Annabelle
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2002
1:13 AM

Post #241825

I had originally posted a question of either toad or frog. But didn't need to ask. I'm sure now... frog. And let me change that...frog"S". Yep already at least 4. You guys weren't kidding on more than one. **giggle** Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it big time. I put a flashlight on the pond this evening and saw at least 4 of them swimming around. So cute!! Ponds are the best.. "T" :)

This message was edited Friday, Apr 12th 10:12 PM
purpleice
Bridgman, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2002
12:12 AM

Post #243162

I have a toad, a frog ( he's so handsome ) and bumblebee's and everything in the yard is busting out all over! I also got to pet our biggest Koi's and a couple of goldfish. I swear them dere fish can look as cute and innocent as a little brown eyed puppy. They're totally shameless!
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2002
2:07 AM

Post #243233

I have all kinds of frogs and toads...There is one that is white with darker markings...been trying to get a pic of him!
I fed my fish all winter but only once a week when it was was warm and they did fine and now I feed them everyday...nothing special same as I always feed them like tubliflex worms, pond pellets,shrimp pellets and flakes...
I hope to have babies again this year...saw one koi in pot of water iris swishing all over it and I think maybe laying eggs! Whoopee!
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2002
12:48 PM

Post #248652

The bullfrogs in my pond come running (or hopping) for the cheerios that I put out for the fish. So funny to see them beg for more cheerios! Lani
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2002
1:18 AM

Post #249593

Oh, I will have to try Cheerios. I didn't know they could eat them. My cockatoo loves Cheerios.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2002
1:29 AM

Post #249613

it's the food of choice for early spring, not too hard on their systems.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2002
1:50 AM

Post #249630

Guys, you should see my tadpoles. MILLIONS!! Good grief. Some time this coming weekend I'm gonna give my sister her plants and some tadpoles. Then unfortunately I'm gonna have to scoop up a few hundred tadpoles and take them to a local lake or stream. There's just too many. The sides and bottom of the pond are literally coated with them. It's almost gross. Almost.. And the sad part is,,they are toad tadpoles..not frogs. :( "T"
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2002
4:55 AM

Post #249723

Funny part about tadpoles is that they eat your algae but they also add to the bio load and they cause the algae to grow too. I had a black and yellow garter snake out in the pond today. Pretty as snakes go but I am glad I was up on the bank when I saw him as I would have screamed bloody murder if he had come upon me when I was priming the yard pump. My new knees might not have been able to run as fast as I would have been wanting to run so I would have been peeling out like a car. Lani
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2002
5:44 AM

Post #249744

okay, how can you tell if they are toad tadpoles or frog tadpoles?
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2002
11:27 AM

Post #249825

tiG, how can I tell? They were toads that laid the eggs. I also did some searching on the interent and found out that frogs lay their eggs in a "pile" so to speak. And toads lay their eggs in a lonnngggg stringy thing. My DH was talking to someone at work and they told him that fish will eat some of the tadpoles. Mine aren't. I quit feeding them hoping that would encourge them to..but...nope. "T" :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America