Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: dicentra

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 3, Views: 190
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2001
7:35 PM

Post #3075

Hello! Another question from thjis newbie. I bought a dicentra (red, not white) last year. Now it is coming up along with a couple of new plants about 2 feet away. I have just started a woodland garden and want to know if this is the time to dig the samller plants and move them.

Thanks,
darius
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2001
12:13 AM

Post #64062

Darius: This is the ideal time to move perennial plants. Try to get a lot of the dirt with the plant, so it will not go into shock. I water the plants a couple of hours or the night before I move them. Then water after they are replanted. Just remember to keep them watered until they are re-established.
Rabbit
Midlothian, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2001
3:07 PM

Post #64908

Darius, I wouldn't worry about them too much. I just got a couple from my mother's gravel path. The seed had landed there and somehow survived. There was no dirt to speak of when I pried up the tiny plants (1 inch). I potted them immediately and they are blooming beautifully right now. This is the dicentra eximia, one of my favourites.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2001
3:47 PM

Post #64911

Thanks both to Debbie and Rabbit!
darius

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America