Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Water Pump ?'s Please help!!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 4, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2002
2:55 AM

Post #26845

Hello Everyone,
I have a few ?'s to ask. Would anyone by chance have a Bio-filter that you might be interested in selling for a good price? I am starting a water pond and I am doing a small 3 1/2 ft oval pond on top of a small hill that I have in my yard. It'll only be about 18"deep at the most, there on the top, and then it will pour over into the waterfall that I plan on building in the hill by making steps in our hard Ga red Clay and then putting bricks on it to hold it in place and covering the bricks w/something soft not to tear the liner. Then at the bottom, I want a 8' x 6-7 ft odd shaped pond w/ Koi on one side and seperated by a net with plants on the other side. I plan on in the very center having it 22" deep and about 16-18 inches on the side with koi, which they will have access to the deepest part in the center. Then on the other side where the plants will be I want it to be different depths for aquatic plants. Maybe 12" in places and 14-16" in other places. I am also wondering if anyone could answer a few ?'s. If I have a regular filter, can I make it a bio-filter by adding carbon inside the filter in a cheesecloth or is there any other way to make a regular filter a bio-filter? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have also been told that you can use peat moss to filter w/too. Could someone please help me out with this. The bottom will be made from a 12' pool liner and I also have a regular pool pump that went to that. I plan to start as soon as possible so any help would be appreciated soooooooooo much!! You guys are so great, and I trust your advice. And if anyone has a spare filter or pump, please LMK and I'd be so greatful!!

Thanks alot in advance,
Traci S
alhanks
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2002
3:04 AM

Post #241952

Why don't you just make a bog filter? It will filter the water and be a great place to put some bog plants!
alhanks
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2002
3:07 AM

Post #241956

You could make the 3.5 ft oval top pool the bog filter. Put you pump in the lower pond with water going to bottom of oval top pool. Fill oval top pool with gravel and plant bog plants.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2002
6:00 PM

Post #242226

Traci,,alhanks has a great idea! You could also plant them in lava rocks instead of the gravel. Good luck! "T" :)
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2002
5:20 AM

Post #242749

Thanks and his pic's are great too!! Any further advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated. We are gonna do it Al's way, and have alredy did the bog pond at the top and dug the falls back into the bank and are 1/2 way finished with the big pond at the bottom!! Just do not want to take any chances on screwing anything up, so if anyone has any opinions or suggestions, please LMK!!!!

Thanks so much to everyone!
Traci S

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America