Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Groundcover or what?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 126
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2002
9:58 PM

Post #26893

A friend gave me a start of this last year. She grows it on a bank in her rock garden.It doesn't get much bigger than this, it spreads and has a yellow bloom. She didn't know what it was. Does anybody know what it is? Thanks for looking.

Thumbnail by mystic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

April 13, 2002
10:17 PM

Post #242389

I think it's Euphorbia cyparissias - Cypress Spurge
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2002
10:30 PM

Post #242403

Cypress spurge is another one of my garden mistakes. It's a nice looking plant in the right spot. Mystic - If you decide you don't want it there anymore you'll never get rid of it. I still battle it out front.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2002
10:45 PM

Post #242409

Wow ya'll are fast.Thanks to you both. Poppysue would it do ok growing around trees where we could just mow it when it gets out to far?
Baa

April 13, 2002
10:48 PM

Post #242411

Poppysue

I made that mistake too and I agree, still battling with a completely invaded rockery.

Mystic

If you mow it collect the clippings wearing rubber gloves, the sap is an irritant to many skins.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2002
10:55 PM

Post #242413

It will do Ok there. I bet it will grow out into your lawn tho. It has creeped under the edging I put in and comes up in the rocks and gravel around the bed. It sends out runners and comes up in other plants where you can't get at it. My SIL has a mass planting of it on the corner of one of her gardens and it looks very nice. Sometimes those type of plants are better to figure out how you can live with them ... then try to remove them. I'm thinking I should just let it have a good portion of this bed since I get get it to move out.
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2002
12:58 AM

Post #242500

Baa now you know how I am with gloves. lol But I will sure remember that. Sue sounds like you might not have another choice. Maybe I can do it like I do my mints and keep them dug up to trade so they don't get of hand. Thanks to you both .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America