Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: ?CONEFLOWER?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I havethe hardest time with coneflower~ Does anyone know if this is them?

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I don't think it is. It looks like some sort of bellflower to me. Campanula glomerata - maybe?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

hummmm I just looked that up..I never saw anything like that before. I remember this comng up last year in the garden. but. cant find photos of it and can;t remember what it ws. I will have to keep an eye on it. That looks like the leaves though. If you know of a place where baby cone flower photo are. please. let me know. I am off "in search of'

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

just visited "photos" and hczone6 had a bellflower picture that looks really alot like this photo. HUMMMM will have to see what happens. I guess.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Some of them are awful spready. Just a fair warning.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

okay! Should be interesting. what is Spready is that Love in a Puff! oh my! that is everywhere this year. In the garden. in the grass. it is taking over!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

lol Mings, I think what she meant was that they are known to spread alot. As for your Love in a Puff...I just planted some seeds!! am I asking for trouble by planting them?? I have them planted next to a copper trellis so hopefully they will stay in one spot!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

They will stay in one spot,. for 1 year. lolol....then. they are in the grass and in the entire garden. It is one wave of blue.....So pretty. Atleast I THINK that is what this is. I am having trouble identifying lately. but I am 98% certain it is. See, I started with the markers too late... I missed alot by thie time I got them ~. things were done and forgotten. Have to get going on that again. Like. this week! Its always something

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Most campanulas are perennial, but Campanula medium (cup & saucer, Canterbury bells) are biennial, so they would have come up last year and will bloom this year. The heart shaped leaf sure looks like campanula.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

oooooooohhhhhhhh That makes sence. so, maybe what you are saying is my coneflowere never reseeded? again! For the 3rd year in a row! I have no luck with that. I have tried and tired. Well, then. I am VERY anxious to see just what this is !!!!!! Everyone has been so helpful

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

If it's a campanula, you won't be disappointed. They may have reseeded from last year..do you recall planting any?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I threw in a bunch of wild flower seeds last year, And I really do not remember this leaf blooming into anything. But. I could be way off base here. I just really can not bring it to mind. and have been going through older photos this evening. I really hope it is what you all say. It would be so nice.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You could have had bellflowers in your wildflower mix. Let us know what it becomes. I'm really getting curious now!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

That makes 2 of us! hay! did your snow melt yet? It was pretty deep last photo posting I saw

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We still have about two feet of snow out in our yard, but it is going down in spite of the cold temps we've had lately. It's a slow spring up here. I can't wait for all that white stuff to melt away so that I can pull back the straw mulch and see what survived the winter!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Did you see there is someone else on DG from your town? Listed in the pets.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Ceeads lives just down the road from me. I suggested she check out Dave's Garden, since she has so much knowledge to offer and she's interested in learning new things. She has a wonderful little place and she does mostly container gardening. I call her place Eadsville Eden! I always give her plants to grow because they do so well for her. Today I gave her a hand posting photos, so you'll see lots more of her place.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

So glad you didn;t say ...There is?????? lolol....

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, I should have put you on a bit! This is such a small town, everyone knows when you sneeze!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

My coneflowers always come back, they seem to spread more by the roots than seeds - maybe it's because I collect most of then, Lol

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I heard you sneeze from here! lolo/ She has pretty dogs. See the DG family is growing!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, mingsmimi, I try to tell all the Seward gardeners about Dave's Garden. We have to do lots of virtual gardening around here.

Azalea: I wish we could grow coneflowers successfully around here. I have a couple but they never seem to do much.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

They must need a longer season than you have - mine aren't much bigger than yours though, but won't be blooming for another month or two. Same with the Black Eyed Susans.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Mine will be blooming next week if they keep up their pace.
They come up on their sometimes, but haven't in my yard. I have two clumps and they pretty much stay there and stay about the same size. They are actually in too much shade now that some trees have been planted and put on some growth on that side. This year, I hope to give them a lot more attention to see if they might want to branch out a litle.

(Zone 6a)

I don't think the picture here is of a bellfolower...or not the one I have anyway. My bellflower is very tightly packed...it's not spread out like the picture you have here. Mine is a very tight clump. I'm not sure what you have here.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Campanulas are a big family. They can be six inches high or 4 feet tall, and they come in various shades of blue, lavender, pink, and white. Most are perennial, some are biennial, and a few are annuals. Wild varieties grow almost everywhere. The most common feature is the bell shaped flowers. Most every one is a beauty in its own way.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I am taking a sample out to my favorite greenhouse this week and play" can you guess" out there. Will keep ya posted! Thanks for all the imput

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

took a clump to the greenhouse guy today. He says what you all said...or a pretty weed! he has seen them that look like this. lol. I told him how it was there last year and didn;t bloom. so . he is leaning more to the campanulas. I hope so! Can;t wait to see!Thanks again everyone for all the help/.will keep ou updated.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, please, Mimi. I'm curious!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

well, keep me bookmarked and I'll be back later! :0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.