Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: invasive pest plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2002
9:58 PM

Post #26963

Does anybody recognize this description? This perennial plant has red roots that spread, they are about 1/4 inch thick and break easily. The stems are about 12-18 inches high, with a lavender flower cluster at the top in late summer or early autum. The lower part of the mature stem turns red. The leaves come off the stem in alternate pairs about every inch, and are 1 1/2 inch long with 3 prominent veins running the length of the leaf. The leaves come out of a little band that circles the stem. There are no branches but a root will often put up several stems. It is very xeric, hardy in zone 5, and needs no encouragement to grow, definitely invasive. I checked the plant database. Somebody somewhere knows what this is.
Baa

April 14, 2002
10:07 PM

Post #243069

Sounds like a species of Polygonum - Bisort
Baa

April 14, 2002
10:10 PM

Post #243071

I'm being old fashoined Polygonum is now in the Persicaria genus (silly Baa!)

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=persicaria&spell=1
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2002
6:20 AM

Post #243340

MaryE, it sounds like it might be Polygonum Capitatum. it is in the DB http://plantsdatabase.com/go/363.html
I hope this helps. If this is it it is very difficult to get rid of but not impossible :~)
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2002
12:55 PM

Post #243419

Thanks Baa, I looked at the link you gave and can't really tell. I couldn't see enough of the leaves in the picture of the Bisort becasue of the grass. Also the blooms on mine do not stand up so high. The color is right though.
Zany, I looked at your link, it's not the same plant. Mine is taller and not reddish except for the lower part of the mature stems, also not a round blossom cluster. Thanks for trying.
Baa

April 15, 2002
4:14 PM

Post #243508

Sorry Mary I should be more clear :) The page on the hyperlink is a number of species in the Persicaria genus as your species might be particular to your region. Your description reminded me of the Persicaria (was Polygonum) genus but I daren't hazzard a guess to species.
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2002
4:35 PM

Post #243524

Right Baa, it could be a near relative of P. Bisort, maybe some thing that has changed a little over the years. I didn't see a description with that picture. Maybe should look again, I might have missed it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America