-
AuthorContent
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2002
7:53 PM

Post #27038

I picked this beside our dirt road. I have no idea what it is but there is a lot of it. It appears to be a bulb . I just broke some off as the road is narrow & the shoulder is soft from rain. Do U have any idea what it is?
Sugar_fl

Thumbnail by Sugar_fl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2002
8:54 PM

Post #243674

That is Spiderwort.

Purple is pretty, I have mine is Blue so if you would like to check it out at photo forum "Spiderwort" Let me know what you think?

This message was edited Monday, Apr 15th 4:57 PM
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2002
9:10 PM

Post #243688

Yes, of the Tradescantias, and there is a bulbous root under it. You can transplant it easily, and it also grows readily from seed.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2002
11:18 PM

Post #243752

It is more blue than purple.. I'd have problems digging it where they are.. There is a lot so it isn't threatened *G*
I'd like some in my wildflower garden.
Sugar_fl
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2002
12:00 AM

Post #243772

Then watch it closely and gather some seed. Before you know it, you will have a garden full. I can send you seed as soon as mine produces them this year. They might be different ones, because there are numerous kinds, and the colors vary from white to blue to purple to violet. I love all of them. I also love the little widow's tears, Commelina erecta, and every year I gather a few seeds of it in case someone wants it later. Always, someone does.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2002
12:54 AM

Post #243798

I have blue and purple of the dwarf variety and some a bit taller maybe 2 ft that are bushy...the ones I see around the roadways here in Alabama that are wild grow tall and straggly...

I collected some seeds last summer from the 2 ft tall ones and don't know but bet they are still viable if you want some for sase...give me an email!

Calling DG's Expert...Aimee :) are they still viable?
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2002
1:43 AM

Post #243835

Aimee Can I dig some now & have them live? I will look for a spot where we can get off the road & not in the ditch. I'd like a couple for sure. I have a feeling if I can get 2 or so to live I'll have plenty soon *G*
Sugar
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2002
8:58 AM

Post #243960

I think the seed should still be viable, Rebecca, since you know about how to properly store seed and things like that. (Thanks for the confidence!) And Sugar, if I were you, I would definitely give it a try. Please be careful, I don't want to have a tragedy to live with! I would soak the area, then gently pull or dig them out and plunge them into a bucket of water until they can be planted. Leave some that you can easily keep an eye on, and if the ones you dig out don't make it, get seed. You are right, once you succeed in getting one to live in your garden, you will have them. I think this is a flower the hybridizers should have paid more attention. It is such a cheery plant, it always makes me smile.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2002
9:12 PM

Post #244213

Last summer I pulled a bunch of this off the bank on the side of the road, a clump about as big around as the mouth of a five-gallon bucket, and basically just dumped it into the garden. It bloomed all summer, but it never stood upright properly after being moved so nicely (*grin*). It's usually guite a survivor!
Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2002
11:29 PM

Post #244293

It is considered a weed here. But hey, I love Queens Anne Lace too. Watch out it does grow and takes over everywhere. We called it Blue Bottles when we were kids.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2002
1:24 AM

Post #244398

Miss Batt is right too...we have dug up monkey grass and just set it on the ground (sometimes we get lazy or just too tired) and it grows where you put it and the spiderwort mixed in too! I have it scattered all over my yard! LOL

As a matter of fact my DH brought home a clump the other day and it is sitting where he put it and I told him I'm sorry but I already have it but going to find a place to put it soon! It still looks good and blooming too!
tink76627
Blum, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2002
1:08 PM

Post #245494

I plant it where nothing else will grow, and add a sprig to my hanging baskets It is also called "widows tears".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America