Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Phlox divaricata or....?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2002
1:18 PM

Post #27079

Here's a photo of a "rescued" plant as it started blooming. Last spring when I found it, it had three little flower heads. It was planted in the middle of a liriope patch, in brick-hard clay soil, next to our concrete driveway (what was a nice plant like this doing in a place like that????)

Anyway, I moved it to a semi-shady spot (in much better soil) where we could enjoy it more. It seems to be pretty happy in its new home, and it the blooms have a really nice fragrance.

Last year, I guessed it was Phlox divaricata, but I'm not positive; the petals are fairly narrow and some of the P. divaricata I've seen have more rounded petals. Any other guesses?

Since this photo was taken, it has grown a few more inches, and has more blooms. It stands about 15" high, the leaves are dark green, narrow and slightly hairy.

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2002
12:10 AM

Post #244312

Go_Vols: You are right with the name. It is Phlox divaricata. We call it Wild Sweet Williams or Wild Blue Phlox. It is a native wildflower. Grows in our timbers here under the trees, so you planted it in the right spot--shady to part shade. They do smell heavenly. They do spread, but not aggressively. Nice addition to your garden.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2002
12:58 AM

Post #245190

Terry, Phlox divaricata is what was all over the place here when you came for the daylilies :-)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2002
2:03 AM

Post #245240

Cala, that's what made me re-think what I've got. Yours has much "fatter" (teardrop-shaped) petals; mine are more separated and longer. Could the difference be attributed to exposure (mine are in semi-shade all day, vs. full sun like yours?)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2002
2:57 AM

Post #245282

It could be, they also have skinny leaves on the bloom spike. I'll take a close up and post it. Mine also have wonderful soil to grow in and horse poo added.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America