Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ohiorganic
New Paris, OH

April 1, 2001
5:33 PM

Post #3100

I was sitting here watching my husband planting eggplant and pepper seeds in small soil blocks (our 2nd try, the cold house pretty much did in the first batch of peppers. Now we have a heater next to their germination area, which has helped the survivors) and I got to wondering since the Nightshades (pepper, tomato, eggplant, potato) are all self pollinated are there any true Hybrids with the nighshades?

Beans are all OP's because they are self pollinating and I have found that the tomato hybrid "Sungold" and "Santa" both come back true when planted from saved hybrid seed. So I am now thinking perhaps the peppers will come back true from f1 seed.

I suppose I already broached on this subject with lettuce, which I will try growing out as well this year.

has anyone tried this with self pollinating hybrid plants?
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2001
5:40 PM

Post #64234

It would be an interesting experiment, Ohiorganic.

F1 peppers, however, are produced from two or more seperately inbred varieties. So the question is, are they then in-bred enough as the new variety, or will the genetic map break down. If so, you would likely get three different peppers: each of the parents, plus the new hybrid.

You certainly could then stabalize it, and get a dehybridized OP pepper with all the characteristics of the hybrid.

I'm going through that with a squash, right now. We figure it will take three to five years to stabalize the new variety.
marshseed
Santa Barbara, CA

April 1, 2001
5:45 PM

Post #64236

From my experience with tomatoes, I'd say most newer hybrids do not seed true. There are of course hybrids that have been bred out in multiple generations to seed true to type but with less genetic diversity than a true op.

Mostly I haven't tried to grow out F1's although I have an ongoing experiment to trying to reselect to type a favorite broccoli. I am perplexed because some of the "offtypes" are better than the original hybrid -- so the monster grows. I'm trying to select now for a very smaller blue-purple and very sweet type. Now up to 40% to type.
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2001
5:49 PM

Post #64240

I don't knowingly ever put a hybrid in the ground, Marsh.

My squash resulted from a trade for what was supposed to be Ct. Field Pumpkin. What I got was three distinct squashes, none of which resembled Ct. Field.

Turns out the guy who sent the seed had grown them (actually, his brother had grown them) next to a neighbor who also grew squashes. From the fact I got three, I assume the cross was with an unknown hybrid.

But the one I'm stabalizing---which I call Serendipity---is just too good to let go. Right size, right taste, and seems to be a good keeper.
Mary

April 1, 2001
9:18 PM

Post #64295

F1 hybrids are first generation hybrids, that is, you have to have pollen parent A and seed parent B to produce the F1 hybrid C. You can only get exactly the same hybrid again by crossing pollen parent A and seed parent B again. You may get something which looks the same, or tastes the same, but it won't be the same, nor will it be the same if you use A as the seed parent and B as the pollen parent. If you buy F1 hybrid seed, you're unlikely to know what the parent plants were, so you can't do the same cross again yourself.

That's one of the reasons many people don't buy F1 hybrids.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America