Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Achillea 'The Pearl' - which type?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2002
5:09 PM

Post #27179

I was going to load this in the plants database, but I'm not sure which sub-type of achillea this falls under; the tag doesn't specify. Does anyone know?

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2002
5:17 PM

Post #244854

Achillea ptarmica -The Pearl/Sneeze Weed

Hardy Herbaceous Perennial
Flowers: Spring/Summer
Height: 24 inches
US Zones: 3-9

Description: Loose sprays of double and semi-double button flowers on stout stalks. Ideal for borders, cutting and drying for winter bouquets.

Sowing Intructions: Sow in trays, pots, etc of good seed compost in a propagator or warm place to maintain an optimum temperature of 65-70F. Surface sow and do not exclude light.

Sowing Time: February to May. Reduce the soil temperature at night during germination.

Growing Instructions: Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle into 3 in. pots. Acclimatize young plants to outdoor conditions before planting out 12 in. apart in full sun. Prefers a well drained soil.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2002
5:30 PM

Post #244867

Good deal - now I can upload it to the right spot! :) Thanks, Weezin!
Peter63

April 17, 2002
5:37 PM

Post #244871

Hello Gardenwife,

No sub-class involved. Just genera Achillea; species ptarmica; cultivar 'The Pearl'.

Here in the UK this lovely little Achillea was all the rage amongst enthusiasts in the 1960s

Peter
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2002
5:39 PM

Post #244875

This grows quite well up here, but can be invasive. As with most yarrows, it throws underground runners and spreads rapidly. However, the tiny rose-like double flowers are really charming. I like to put it around borders where it will show nicely. If you put it in a bed with other plants, it can choke everything else out. It also has a tendancy to fall over sometimes, so staking may be necessary.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2002
6:12 PM

Post #244909

I get so confused as to what parts of the plant names go in genus/species/cultivar. Thank God for the ID forum and PDB here!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2002
6:15 PM

Post #244914

Yes, this surely is a great site for information. I've used the database to catalog many of my plants.
Peter63

April 17, 2002
7:21 PM

Post #244965

Hello Gardenwife - see what you make of the hyperlinks below. They may help you to get plant nomenclature fixed in your mind.

Write names down as they apply to the plants you grow after finding them from the forum or a search engine.

Natural Order - same meaning as 'family'
Genera - is the next division
Species - is the next division
Variety or/and Cultivar is the next division.

Varieties can be naturally found in nature or bred. Cultivars are bred.

Those are the major divisions - don't delve into further sub divisions and classes etc until you are clear on the above.

http://www.dwsn.fsnet.co.uk/Linnaeus.htm
http://www.dwsn.fsnet.co.uk/WHAT'S IN A NAME.HTM

Good gardening

Peter.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2002
8:16 PM

Post #245011

Peter63: That's some great information. I think lots of us will benefit from it. I have gotten confused myself sometimes, so I read up on the subject, then get confused again! I seem to keep it fairly straight until I get to the hybrids!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2002
11:16 PM

Post #245106

Peter - that IS great information. Thanks for posting this! I love the first one, especially; the "Plant Epithets" list is particularly interesting (though it sounded like something crocuses might utter, LOL).

Now, are you THE Peter of this site by Peter Dawson? If so, it's a great site! If not, it still is a great site and you're a nice chap for posting it. ;)
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2002
3:04 AM

Post #245287

this is exactly what i mean in the Welcome Mat, inroducing Peter to all...http://davesgarden.com/showthread/218095.html
unfortunately for lack of a better terminology to use, Peter is too humble to be recognized for his GREAT knowledge!

Carol ... there is so much we need to learn from Peter. now u know why i considered Peter the best amongst all Master Gardeners.

Kimberly... He is ONE and the same person!

Peter ... i've noticed more additions on ur web site. u're doing such a great job!!! thanks dear garden Buddy :D!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2002
3:17 AM

Post #245296

Aha! I figured it out when I saw his contributions to the PDB, and they were suspiciously identical to those in his plant portraits at his site. :D After writing a completely goofy, stumbling e-mail from his site, of course. ;)
Peter63

April 18, 2002
5:26 AM

Post #245328

Hello Gardenwife,

Yes, I am the guilty party. Peter; Peter63 and http://www.dwsn.fsnet.co.uk are all of a bundle.

Articles on the web site are created from my past horticultural experiences.

All photos are taken by myself either on visits to gardens or from my own past gardens. I do not now garden as I live in an apartment.

I know litte of data on the WWW but most forum users are conversant with using search engines such as Google and Copernic. Also those who wish to be guided to sites on particular subjects need go no further than MaVieRose who usually comes up with the goods. And I'm sure, other super-surfers also. I never seem to have the time to ride the waves.

Good gardening to all

Peter.

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 18th 1:28 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America