-
AuthorContent
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2002
3:01 AM

Post #27219

My mom says this is a weed and I agree it's very possible but I like it. Anyone know what it is so I'll know whether to leave it in my bed or yank it? It's blooming so beautifully. Thanks.

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2002
4:16 AM

Post #245320

We call that wild mustard and I like it, too! I thik it can be invasive if left to it's own devices, but if kept in check and you're willing to pull a bunch of seedlings, I'd keep it!

I don't know the latin, but it's in the same family as broccoli and cauliflower. As a matter of fact, the first time I saw it in the wild, I thought some broccoli had escaped my garden! ;-) If I remember the latin, I'll let you know.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2002
6:25 AM

Post #245352

For a minute I thought you said it was garlic mustard...THAT'S what I'm battling right now. The bigger plants can have fairly deep taproots, and they self-seed EVERYWHERE.

OK, done venting. ;0)
jcf
Brooklet, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2002
6:35 AM

Post #245368

definitely wild mustard and very ivasive here in south ga. it is everywhere.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2002
3:07 PM

Post #245532

Wow, fast ID. Thanks Wingnut and others for your comments, I may have to move a few things and watch it close but it makes a beautiful clump. Do you know if it likes damp areas? I have one bed I would turn it loose in if it does. Nothing else is doing very well there yet except iris.

Lana
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2002
4:30 PM

Post #245560

I really don't know how it'd do in a damp area. Here I've only seen it growing in dry places, but that's not to say that it won't grow in a damp one. Before you let it loose, though, do a little research on how invasive it can become in your area just to make sure. I don't think it'll be a problem for you as long as you keep a watchful eye out for seedlings that are where they aren't supposed to be ~ works for me here in Central Texas. But some things that are invasive everywhere else are the only things that can survive here! LOL! Like air potato ~ invasive other places but coughs and chokes here in August.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America