Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Bog plant question

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 1, Views: 227
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2002
7:34 PM

Post #27290

I made a bog of only peat moss last year. It is constantly moist of course. My question is will all bog plants live in the peat bog or is it too acidic/alkaline? One of 2 lobelia have survived in it as well as a lysimachia. Can't seem to keep the blackgame cock iris. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 18, 2002
10:05 PM

Post #245733

Peat moss is slightly acidic to neutral, according to most sources. Another problem with straight peat is that it has no nutrients for your plants. If you're circulating pond water through the bog garden (alhanks has a great photo and plan for a setup like that), the pond water would provide some nutrients.

I'd say a better bog mix would be a blend of garden soil and peat or humus and peat. Here's a link that might be helpful: http://www.familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,22-13755,00.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America