Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Poison Ivy??

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 178
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2002
12:17 AM

Post #27310

Got this popping up all over my yard. My doctor says we don't have any here. I mailed it to a guy for research (poisonous plant collecter) and he said it had great oxidation spots! LOL I can tell you for sure, something in my yard gives me some nice itchy blisters.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2002
12:35 AM

Post #245777

Certainly looks like poison ivy to me. But I am no expert.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2002
12:44 AM

Post #245786

That is it!!! Sprouts out all over my yard in spring and I get out the digger and kill it...if I get close to it, it jumps on me! LOL
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2002
12:50 AM

Post #245793

Opps, double post.

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 18th 8:51 PM
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2002
12:50 AM

Post #245794

Difinitely looks like poison ivy to me too. Take a picture of the poison ivy plant on this site. http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/PoisonIvy.html

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2002
12:58 AM

Post #245799

No doubt in my mind. Always heard leaves of three, leave em be...Except my jack-in the pulpits have three leaves...Brenda
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2002
1:13 AM

Post #245805

Don't touch it is Poison Ivy and my husband just kill em few days ago.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
1:30 AM

Post #245821

Yep, another vote for poison ivy. I'm very allergic to that stuff ~ got some next to my eye right now as a matter of fact ("don't scratch! don't scratch! Oh, but it feels so good to scratch! ~~~ Ahhhhhhhhhhh..." *g*), so I know very well what it looks like. Kenny and I just took a walk down the creek today, so I got a good look at it ALL over the place! Ugh!!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2002
2:23 AM

Post #245849

Sure looks like it to me. Grow some Jewel Weed to rub on the itchie spots and it sure helps.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2002
8:06 PM

Post #246191

WINGNUT!! BACK AWAY FROM THE SCREEN!! LOL This stuff is really potent. We have the vining type, shrub type and even nearly trees! Wouldn't you know, it is always hiding up on the hill and before I realize it I have hit it with the weedwacker. So Poof! I am an itchy poisonous cole slaw! Thank you all for confirming it. LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2002
8:49 PM

Post #246222

Rub it all over your face, Michele; you'll soon know. ;) Yes, that sure looks like it. The doctor's nuts if he says it doesn't grow around there, though!!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
9:13 PM

Post #246233

LOLOLOLOL, Badseed! Wanna' hear something else funny? When I first read the all-caps portion of your post, I leaned back. ROTFLOL!

Yah-ha-ha, GW! You know how I figured out exactly what is poison ivy? Years ago I was helping a friend clear some creekbottom over the course of three days in preparation for a party. I ended up covered in that nasty rash ~ the only place I hadn't gotten atleast a small patch was inside my forearms. At the party, my friend and I got into a serious discussion over which was the real thing, the actual poison ivy vine or Virginia Creeper, so I walked my tequila-sodden self over to a nearby tree that had both and rubbed one forearm on each. LOL!

I gotta' get some Jewelweed so I can try that. I've tried all sorts of concotions and the only ones that work are a Horsenettle poultice and a lotion made from wintergreen toothpaste and baking soda (add a little water if needed). Th toothpaste lotion doesn't look very good and isn't real practical (falls off in chunks if you move around much) but it sure does take the itch right out!

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2002
12:47 AM

Post #246349

Oh Kimberley dear, watch your mail. I am sending you some very special organic toilet paper. Let me know what you think! ROTF
Well Wingnut, I guess that was a sure fire way to figure out which was which. he he he I had someone over for a plant trade one day and she got pretty upset that I let poison ivy grow in my yard like that and my kids and dogs played there. Unfortunately she was upset over the virginia creeper and had waged quite a war on it at her place. LOL Until I got tired of it, the creeper was nearly covering one end of my house, part of my hill and several trees and tree stumps.
vic

April 20, 2002
8:29 PM

Post #246767

The poison ivy is really "blooming" here too. I just look at it and break out. I did get some ivy block and it does help.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America