Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Okay, one more.....

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2002
12:22 AM

Post #27311

Never seen this one before and it has popped up in several places. The leaves are rigid and rough and it has a woody stem and is about two feet tall. Please don't tell me it is poison sumac. argh.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
1:37 AM

Post #245830

It resembles the native pecan trees that come up all over the place here. I don't think that's what it is, but maybe a walnut or hickory? I think they're all related and look like each other. (Right? Anybody?) I reeeeeally don't think it's poison sumac. :-)
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

April 19, 2002
5:06 AM

Post #245916

Looks a little like young african tulip tree, hahaha =)
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2002
2:19 PM

Post #246058

Chele this is poison sumach:-

http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/Mall/4992/poisonimages.html

Edited to tell you that the link is poison sumach and not your plant!! :-)

This message was edited Friday, Apr 19th 12:53 PM
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
4:47 PM

Post #246107

Louisa, you mean the pics at your link are sumac, not Badseed's plant, right? Her plant doesn't have red stems and the leaves are different, so I don't think it's anything that bad. Awesome site, by the way! I've got it bookmarked.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2002
4:53 PM

Post #246110

Right Wingnut!! Oh gosh!! I've done it again haven't I!! Let me go back and rephrase that!! Thanks!!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
5:26 PM

Post #246136

Oh, that's okay, Louisa! Being from across the pond I'll bet you talk funny in real life, too, huh? *JK!* I should be one to talk ~ "Ah open mah mouth and yew'll know raht where Ah'm frum!"
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2002
5:29 PM

Post #246138

We use the ( :- ) to indicate something is going to follow, like this:-

I understand ya girl!!!! Love that accent :-)
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
6:31 PM

Post #246163

Badseed, could it be one of these? http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/forsite/key/compound.htm It does kind of look like one of the sumacs in the pic, but from what I understand, regular sumacs and the poison ones are in different genuses if not families. Yeah, I'm still trying to help ID this ~ it looks so familiar it's got me curious!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2002
7:50 PM

Post #246186

pssst, Wingnut, wanna tell you something. I have talked to Louisa on the phone. She still talks like someone from across the pond. She has a deep, sexy voice with an English accent. When she calls I never know if it is her or some pervert. Don't tell her I said so.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2002
7:57 PM

Post #246188

Okay, I have been checking links. Why is it picture of the poison sumac always have red leaves and sometimes flowers?? I thought it only looked like that in the fall. I have dug up baby staghorn sumacs and moved them up the hill. We only live about a mile from the Ohio river and about the same from the Little Miami river. There are tons of the staghorn sumac growing around the Little Miami, and I guess the birds bring them up here where I live. Now, I have found seeds around the yard and in my window boxes for the bitternut hickory, but my leaves look different. Mine are very rough and definately have ridges, like pleats in them.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2002
8:21 PM

Post #246204

Chele you are so bad!!!! Giving away my secrets like that...lol!!! I have the staghorn sumach and new leaves are sprouting and they are red. Lots of new leaves on trees are red!! The flowers of sumach come first and then when they die off, the berries are formed. Just like the cotoneaster, the pyracantha and holly to name a few!! Flowers turn into berries!! Flowers turn into apples etc, etc, etc!! lol!!!
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2002
9:51 PM

Post #246249

Tee-hee-hee, kBadseed! So she DOES still talk funny ~ on AND off the 'puter! Tee-hee!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2002
12:56 AM

Post #246358

Just giving her back some of her own medicine Wingnut. She teases me rotten!!! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America