Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2002
11:52 AM

Post #27345

This is a herb similar to the Ocimum. The leaves are scented, the flower is tiny,like that of Leucas aspera. Please help me know its botanical and common names.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2002
7:53 PM

Post #246187

Basil, Dinu?

Added:

Oops, when I looked up the botanical name you gave, of course it's basil. I only knew the common name, but at least I recognized it! Jardinera here at DG gave me a garbage bag full of basil and I spent an entire afternoon making garlic/walnut pesto with it! I will never forget what it looks like, LOL.

This message was edited Friday, Apr 19th 3:57 PM
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2002
5:33 AM

Post #247061

It sure looks like a Basil gone to seed! Elaine
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2002
5:59 AM

Post #247065

more like some kind of Thailand basil. maybe cinnamon basil?

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 22, 2002
4:03 AM

Post #247504

I have found this http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Ocim_bas.html
The plant looks more like the wild basil (O.canum) pictured in the article?
tink76627
Blum, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2002
5:46 PM

Post #247690

I JUST BOUGHT APLANT THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS AND IT WAS AFRICAN BLUE BASIL. HARD TO TELL BY THE PHOTO.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2002
10:06 AM

Post #314873

May be Ocimum canum. Will post a recent and better pic of the inflorescence now.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 1, 2002
11:48 AM

Post #316585

Anyone can point to some classification of types of basil??

Many types hee, all known with their local names, never used in the Greek kitchen, while the Italians make wonders of it, my favorite being pasta pesto and insalata Caprese.

please let me know.

Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2002
6:23 AM

Post #319673

Dimitri, did you see the link I have given here in this thread, above?
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2002
1:07 PM

Post #319742

Yes, and it is very interesting. But it gives me no hint as

(a) all leaves are shown the same size, and the main difference between basil types is the leaf size and texture.

(b) I must add that the same species may show different character according not only to the country where it grows, but also according to the patricular place in the same garden, the time of planting, the soil quality etc. Basil is usually annual and it grows, flowers and seeds as quickly as possible in high heat or hard soil. So, a friend of mine brought me the basil Italians use for cooking, and it became such a small plant, so many flowering and seeding ends, it was harly any use at all. (Crete is much hotter than Italy, as it is nearer the Equator). In the same garden now, (mine), a particular type of basil here it grows 1 meter tall before flowering, and there it has the flowers ready before it is 1/2m tall.

Yet, this plant is amazing: you propagate it by cutting a twig (about 15 - 20 cm long), and put it in a glass of water, as it is, all leaves on it. It wil lgrow new roots in just 4 - 5 days. Keep adding water without throwing the old water away - plant it in a pot and it grows even faster. This way, in the same season, you can make 20 - 30 pots and still have the original one growing. It keeps growing until it flowers and seeds. For this reason, you keep pinching the tips off - it never stops growing.

Dimitri
troy
Hanover, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2002
9:47 PM

Post #320035

i feel it is better to root it in soil kept wet for a week and then brought down to a normal water level. I find that roots grown in water tend to be brittle and the plants do not do as well when put in soil.
just my opinion

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2002
10:43 AM

Post #320364

That seems to be an interesting plant Dmitri. My plant's common name in local vernacular (and probably Sanskrit) is "Ramakasturi".
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

August 6, 2002
1:27 PM

Post #320462

Dinu, I will try to get some seeds from one of the plants.
The first sample that came here was from Jerusalem, 3 years ago. Of course, as a type of basil this existed here as long as I can remember, but the particular one is more vigorous in growth, brighter in green color, and stronger in propagating - and wonderful caprese, of course (ripe tomatoes, basil leaves and soft white goat chees, with olive oil salt and a twist of black pepper).

Dimitri

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2002
4:00 AM

Post #321206

That'd be fine Dimitri!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America