Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Rose Seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 3, Views: 316
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 2, 2001
2:00 AM

Post #3116

Hi all, I found some old rose hips still on a Sunsprite rose. When I broke them open there were some large seeds in them. How do I germinate them?
Calalily
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2001
8:28 AM

Post #66920

The Gardener for the township of Scotia showed me his roses started from seed. He planted them in a comercial soiless mix and kept then damp but not soggy in a bright light but no sun window. They actually had flower buds on them before they were large enogh to support the blooms! He said that because of pollination from so many other roses in most areas is likely the plant you grow from seed will more than likely not be the same as the one that grew the hip. Good luck with yours and keep us informed on how you succeed.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2001
11:49 AM

Post #68692

Thanks, I will. I found a site about rose seeds that said to start them in the fridge, but these have been out all winter. I'll try some each way and let you know which works better.
Angel
Boonville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2001
3:41 AM

Post #72568

I am trying some myself. I found directions on the net somewhere. Basically it goes:

4 months in a damp paper towel in a plastic bag

6 weeks at 70

then back in the fridge for spring planting

I am trying this method, however I don't see why letting nature take it's course would not work just fine. Simply plant the hips in the ground and see what pops up. I'm not too worried either about what variety I get. I figure free roses are better than none at all. If I don't care for it (long shot) then I'm sure I can find someone who will.

Let us know your method and how it works please.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America