Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

This was given to me as cuttings and has turned into a beautiful hanging plant. The person that gave it to me said it was a succulent but had no idea what it's name was.Any ideas?

Thumbnail by snowhermit
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm not good at this, but the leaves kind of look like Ice Plant. Mine has pink flowers though, so good luck. I can say for sure that I'm no help. Just needed something to do here. :-)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

looks like epiphyllum [night blooming succulent/cacti] depending on the variety. i do not know the specie ... http://www.epiuniverse.com/article.php?sid=3&DCPHPSESSID=af6c62c0836840f72e9999e746815ac6

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

MaVie, I have several epiphyllums and this doesn't look anything like them. The flower on this opens in the day time and closes up at night.It's a much smaller flower than the epis.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It looks like what we call the 'Texas Ice Plant" no idea what the common name is, but it grows wild in south Texas.

I have the exact same plant here, and it was given to me in late 2000 as an "Ice Plant".

It is NOT the hardy iceplant that most are familiar with, however. I never did find out the botanical name of this one.

dave

Whoop! I found it!

Aptenia cordifolia http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=Aptenia+cordifolia

dave

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

At least I know now it's some sort of Ice Plant.
Dave, maybe we'll be lucky and someone will come up with the botanical name for us.
Cala, I'll try to find some info on the Texas Ice Plant.

snow: Look above your post. I have posted the botanical name a few minutes ago.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Wow. Good job Dave. That was fast work. Thanks so much. Now I know the whole name.Do you grow yours in a hanging planter? It looks really cool hanging down with all those red flowers on it.

I grow mine in a big 2 gallon pot. I keep pinching and rooting, so it hasn't gotten big enough to spill over the sides yet. :-)

But I think I now have enough of these, so I'm going to let it grow now. Maybe a hanging planter indeed!

(BTW - this survived 2 nights of 17 degrees for me.)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Dave is that the one you sent me?

Yes, indeedy, poppysue! I had marked it as unknown and I may have put "ice plant?" on the label. It should match the picture above nicely.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Didn't know it was cold tolerant. I won't have to baby it so much. :)

snow, that's just my experience! The plant survived when many other succulents croaked. I was impressed that it didn't even die back at 17 degrees - kept its foliage and everything.

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

dave...snowhermit there is a heart-leaf ice plant listed in the database. I have it too! I left some of it outdoors and it did not completely freeze. still green at the tips but dead along the runners I'm going to trim it up and throw on ground,cover and see if it will come back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.