-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2002
7:06 AM

Post #27694

What is this sweet little thing? The blooms are about the diameter of a penny and they smell sweet. It was in a bouquet Howie brought me tonight. Look at me, can't just enjoy them - I must ID them so I can maybe grow them sometime!

:) Kimberley

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

April 24, 2002
10:56 AM

Post #248594

That looks familiar but don't remember the name.. hmm..
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2002
12:08 PM

Post #248625

its called wax flower..charaleceum???? ill look it up. its a native australian shrub.
take your fingernail and scratch the woody stem. the fragrance of the plant is in the stem.
should you find any for sale..ive been looking for it for years.
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2002
12:19 PM

Post #248631

heres a link with the correct spelling. i noticed that it said you can get it rooted by cuttings. guess ill call maria today (my florist) and ask if she has any fresh. althought i dont know if it will root since its been chilled for so long. worth the try tho.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Myrtaceae/Chamelaucium_uncinatum.html
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2002
5:19 PM

Post #248779

Thank you! :) Would I be able to root cuttings from these stems? I've heard of people rooting roses from those they've gotten in bouquets. I really like these - I can see why they are called wax flowers. They're just lovely!
BJT72
Perrysburg, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2002
11:35 PM

Post #248971

Gw,
Rub the leaves between your fingers and it smells like lemon.We use wax flower in the flower shop all the time. It's great in corsages, bridal bouquets, there is a darker pink variety that looks stunning with red roses, I always try to sell wax as an alternitive to baby's breath or statice, guys can be so boring at times, but it sure looks like your Howie picked a great bouquet!!!!
Becky
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2002
2:25 AM

Post #249076

He's got a good eye. :) I just love the flowers in this bunch. I'll post the whole thing in my journal soon as I get a chance.
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2002
9:39 PM

Post #249493

the white one is pretty too, just not as striking as the pink and purple
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2002
2:48 AM

Post #249677

Think I could root some of this somehow? Any suggestions? I'll post in the propagation forum about it, too. :)
JustJen
Dansville, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2002
9:51 AM

Post #249805

2 years ago this was one of my "gotta have" plants. i did extensive searching on it and all i could come up with was that it was impossible to root.
the link above said you can root by cuttings. so now im confused. anything is worth a shot.
i can remember at one time i found a site that had the seeds for sale, but for whatever reason, i didnt order them. import laws? cost prohibitive? my climate? i dont remember ( i suffer greatly from CRS, lol) i did a google search for geraldton wax and came up with the link above, maybe if i added "propagation" after it well find out more.
jen
p.s., you have me on the quest again, lol

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America