SOLVED: Mystery #2 from bouquet - white flower

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Here's another mystery from the bouquet Howie brought home. This one has a light scent and the white blooms are about the same diameter as a 1/2 dollar coin if spread. The white blooms encircle that long green flowerhead (for lack of a better term), which is about 4" long.

Is it a tuberose of some sort? Isn't it pretty? :)

This message was edited Wednesday, Apr 24th 3:13 AM

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Looks like an Ornithogalum. There are several species with this pyramidal raceme.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Hi Gardenwife,
Try this link, it's what I always called 'The Star of Bethlehem'

http://www.bulb.com/summerguide98/ornithogalum.asp

All the best

Wintermoor

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

I think it is ornithogalum thyrsoides-Chincherinchee--easy to grow and the blooms open up slowly-lending itself to be a nice cut flower. Bulbs can be dug and wintered over inside.--Dutch Gardens carries them as well as many garden centers- I love them

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Wintermoor-I should have checked your hyperlink-before posting. I have another kind of bulb that I know as Star of Bethlehem-prolific summer bloomer of single white flowers- I need to check out the name for that one.

Star of Bethlehem here is given to a couple of species but is most likely to be Ornithogalum umbellatum (also know as Bath Asparagus LOL)

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

Marcia,
there are a couple of plants known as The Star of Bethlehem, I think it just depends where you live. Be careful though, they are quite poisonous.

The other 'Star' which I have seen has single white flowers, and not as on the hyperlink

All the best

Wintermoor

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, super! I knew you guys would come through for me. I will have to get some of these! :D

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh that so pretty, I would love to get me one , never see this before.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.