Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

String Algae

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

OK ,it seems most people swear that the barley straw will take care of the problem.My question's are ;How much of it do I need? (2 ponds,linked by waterfalls and streams,around 4500 gallons total)What happens to the dead string algae? Are the pellets better?Liquid? Where is the best place to put the stuff?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Chic.
In the spring I srart with AlgaeFix, just one dose and at the same time I put in my Barley straw. It will take about a month for the straw to activate. But the AlgaeFix will take care of the algae to start with.
I got my straw from Naturalsolutions.com, With the size of your pond you'll need 4-8 oz. bundles, place them where water and air can get to them. I tuck mine under the waterfalls so the water can run through it.And the frogs seem to like sitting on it. Change it every 3-4 months depending on decomposition. We have used it for 3 years and had wonderful results.
Natural solutions has the BEST prices. Locally 8 oz and $15.99, from nat sol only $4.95.
Happy Pondering
Annabelle15

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Once the top is covered by lily leaves(or duckweed as I do) the algae will die.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

Last year the algae never died.it covered everything!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

CC, that's terrible. I hope you find something that works. It's the phosphorus that makes the algae grow and how the barley straw works. It removes the phosphorus from the water.

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

I think I'd be happier if it was that pea soup stuff,the I couldn't see the stuff,but with the water crytal clear,all you can see are cobwebs of string algae.Covers all the lilies.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.