Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Floating Island Planter??

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 3, Views: 412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2002
11:15 PM

Post #27844

Anyone have one of these in their pond? I wonder how hard it would be to make one. I don't think it would be too hard - maybe use some hard styrofoam to keep it floating?? Styrofoam wouldn't hurt the fish would it?
vic

April 26, 2002
12:39 AM

Post #249564

Hey we have one of those and yep, dh used styrofoam. He basically made a basket and lined it with styrofoam. It is anchored to to pipes though. The pipes lay across the pond on the plant shelves which are 12 inches down and I hang the water lilies off it. The basket holds a light, fountain, and floating plants. The reason I have to put floating plants in it is bc if I don't, the koi eat them. We have 6 koi and they are huge. We have around 33 fish total. But anyway, yes we have one and no it won't hurt the fish. I really want to put water hyacinths in it this year.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2002
1:00 AM

Post #249578

That sounds neat Vic. You should post a picture if you can. May pond is real small - I just thought a basket big enough for a couple of plants would be nice. I watched them make a great big one for a pond on some gardening TV show last year. Maybe I'll give it a try.
vic

April 28, 2002
2:14 AM

Post #250951

I am really in the dark ages with the digital camera. I have one and I am taking pictures but I still don't have what it takes to get from the camera to here. I will but I just don't have it yet. Of course I could go to dsil and he would do it for me but that would require to get away from the computer. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America