Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Floating Island Planter??

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Anyone have one of these in their pond? I wonder how hard it would be to make one. I don't think it would be too hard - maybe use some hard styrofoam to keep it floating?? Styrofoam wouldn't hurt the fish would it?

Hey we have one of those and yep, dh used styrofoam. He basically made a basket and lined it with styrofoam. It is anchored to to pipes though. The pipes lay across the pond on the plant shelves which are 12 inches down and I hang the water lilies off it. The basket holds a light, fountain, and floating plants. The reason I have to put floating plants in it is bc if I don't, the koi eat them. We have 6 koi and they are huge. We have around 33 fish total. But anyway, yes we have one and no it won't hurt the fish. I really want to put water hyacinths in it this year.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

That sounds neat Vic. You should post a picture if you can. May pond is real small - I just thought a basket big enough for a couple of plants would be nice. I watched them make a great big one for a pond on some gardening TV show last year. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I am really in the dark ages with the digital camera. I have one and I am taking pictures but I still don't have what it takes to get from the camera to here. I will but I just don't have it yet. Of course I could go to dsil and he would do it for me but that would require to get away from the computer. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.