Floating Island Planter??

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Anyone have one of these in their pond? I wonder how hard it would be to make one. I don't think it would be too hard - maybe use some hard styrofoam to keep it floating?? Styrofoam wouldn't hurt the fish would it?

Hey we have one of those and yep, dh used styrofoam. He basically made a basket and lined it with styrofoam. It is anchored to to pipes though. The pipes lay across the pond on the plant shelves which are 12 inches down and I hang the water lilies off it. The basket holds a light, fountain, and floating plants. The reason I have to put floating plants in it is bc if I don't, the koi eat them. We have 6 koi and they are huge. We have around 33 fish total. But anyway, yes we have one and no it won't hurt the fish. I really want to put water hyacinths in it this year.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

That sounds neat Vic. You should post a picture if you can. May pond is real small - I just thought a basket big enough for a couple of plants would be nice. I watched them make a great big one for a pond on some gardening TV show last year. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I am really in the dark ages with the digital camera. I have one and I am taking pictures but I still don't have what it takes to get from the camera to here. I will but I just don't have it yet. Of course I could go to dsil and he would do it for me but that would require to get away from the computer. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.