S.Louisiana Dirty Rice

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

1#chicken livers serves 8-10
3/4#chicken gizzards
6-8 chicken necks(I like to use a couple of smoked turkey necks instead)
3 cups salted water
1/2 bunch(or less) green onions, chopped
2 med. onions chopped
6 large ribs celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 toes garlic, chopped
3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cups rice, cooked
Salt & Pepper to taste

**Boil livers, gizzards, and necks in water until tender. If water cooks down to less than 2&1/2 cups, add a little. Remove necks and take off the meat. Discard neck bones. Remove livers & gizzard, chop finely(in a food processor, if possible). Measure 2&1/2 cups of broth & leave in boiling pot. Add onions, celery, green onoins & parsley, simmer covered until tender. Add a little water if necessary. When done, stir in chopped meats & cooked rice add salt & pepper to taste, warm to serve, about 15 minutes.

*****Make this "Dirty Rice" dressing a day ahead, refrigerate, then reheat in double boiler for the best flavor. Dirty rice is not mushy, but not dry either, somewhere in between.

(Just want to add that this is a true cajun recipe. My roots are deep in the swamp..I am originally from Thibodaux, LA..after 40 something years of living there, our family relocated to West Kentucky after the Katrina/Rita beating)

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 7:32 AM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thnak you, Lisa. this recipe looks soooo good and actually good for you. Many of the dirty rice recipes have so many soups or convenince foods in it that I've never made them.

Montgomery, AL

Does anyone have a good recipe for Spanish/Mexican Rice please? Thank you

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lisa that's a very good recipe. My late MIL in S.W. La would have risen from her grave if she'd known there are so many corrupted Cajun dirty rice recipes out there! We have always use lots of chicken liver, and sometimes added smothered eggplant, to keep the rice moist.
~Jaye

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hi jaye,
I'm from SW LA, lived there for 45 years we just moved to KY last year, where did she live?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Lisa!!!
I lived in Breaux Bridge for 27 years!!! Ca va? Learned from late MIL and xSILs how to cook all that good Cajun food!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm from Thibodaux, actually from Schriever. This is the first time I've ever lived away from home. It has been an adventure, I make trips back home to keep my supply of seafood and Community Coffee...

Nice to meet you.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow...nice meeting you too, Lisa. I get plenty of seafood around here, except for fresh crawfish. Yes, I am addicted to dark roast Community coffee!

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Lis! I hope all is going well with you up in Ky. :)

I was just telling my son last weekend about the dirty rice we used to get at school in Houma. It was one of the more memorable foods the public school had to offer. It has been years since I thought about it, and in talking with him, it dawned on me that I had NO idea how to make it. Thanks for the recipe! Take care!

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

This recipe sounds good! I'm going to have to try it :-)

-Susan-

North, TX

Go Community Coffee-it is the best!! And I can't wait to try this recipe !!

lil_beans: the secret to making really good Spanish/Mexican rice is to brown the rice in about 2 T oil before adding your other ingredients. It gives it that nutty flavor and authenticity to the dish.
Here's a recipe that is pretty darn good:
3T salad oil
1 sm. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C rice
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/8 t cayenne
3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 C boiling water
1 1/2 C peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
*bunch of cilantro for garnish (optional)
In a wide frying pan, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, garlic & rice. Cook, stirring, until onion is limp and rice is opaque and starting to brown. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne & bouillon cubes dissolved in boiling water; bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add tomatoes and cook over low heat until tomato is heated. Garnish with cilantro.

Dahlonega, GA

Gotta bump this up so later can copy recipe , lost mine . Ex from L Charles and Jena , I lived in Monroe for years . We stock up on budan every year both going toTex for six mos and returning in spring . I love the between roast , Community .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, been reading and copying your recipes guys, Digger, what is budan?

Dahlonega, GA

It's sausage made with rice for a filler. Spicy and a staple in La .
I think it's spelled boudan . I'm going to type it in on recipes forum and see if there isn't a recipe for it .

Dahlonega, GA

Ok , I give up . will start a new thread for it , someone out there knows how to make it and my machine will stuff it .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

How about google? I always have good luck with it. I will do it.

Dahlonega, GA

I did that and got mostly recipes using it . I'll spend more time looking at it tomorrow

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Digger, here is Emiril's

Boudin Sausage
Emeril Lagasse

Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Yield:

4 1/2 pounds

Ingredients

* 2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1 pound pork liver, rinsed in cool water
* 2 quarts water
* 1 cup chopped onions
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 4 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
* 1 cup finely chopped parsley
* 1 cup chopped green onions tops, (green part only)
* 6 cups cooked medium-grain rice
* 1 1/2-inch diameter, casings, about 4 feet in length

Directions

In a large sauce pan, combine the pork butt, pork liver, water, onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/12 hours, or until the pork and liver are tender. Remove from the heat and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Using a meat grinder with a 1/4-inch die, grind the pork mixture. 1/2 cup of the parsley, and 1/2 cup of the green onions, together. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice, remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley, and green onions. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly. Either using a feeding tube or a funnel, stuff the sausage into the casings and make 3-inch links. Bring 1 gallon of salted water up to a boil. Poach the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is firm to the touch and plump. Remove from the water and allow to cool
Next Recipe

This message was edited Jul 22, 2010 7:22 PM

Dahlonega, GA

You're a sweety Jnette . Thank you so much . That stuff is more expensive than ribeye steak .Where did you find that ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

First one in the google.

I spelled it wrong too, but it came up.

I just typed in google:

recipe for boudin

And Emeril's was I think the first or second one up. But, I think I spelled it like you did bouden. Doesn't matter. They find it.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Then after I posted it, I went in and edited all the crap out. Whoops, might get censored.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Digger, for your info, don't put in too much stuff when you googlel recipes.

I just put in the minimum:

Recipe for Boudin

That's all.

Dahlonega, GA

I put in boudan recipes and all I got was recipes using boudan . Google wasn't thinking what I was thinking . That's ok , you saved the day .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You did it backwards. Recipe FOR Boudin. You got exactly what you asked for. LOL, you have to learn to think how google thinks.

Dahlonega, GA

With my headache today , I just need some Tylenol and a dark , quite room .
Yeah , after you posted the last one , I looked at it and felt so DUH .

Eunice, LA

Boudin. ;)

You can order some authentic Cajun spices and products from cajungrocer.com. You'd swear I'd work for the place, but I don't. It's just the best selection of true Cajun food of which I'm aware. It's also well respected. All products come from the heart of Cajun land - near Lafayette, LA.

I love Emeril and know that he is a fantastic chef however, be aware that he uses all sorts of spices that are not traditionally Cajun. Also, he grew up in New Orleans, so a lot of his recipes have a Creole flare and often incorporate tomato, whereas we don't use much of it here. His boudin recipe looked pretty good except that I've never had it with celery. On a side note, I did go to the house he grew up in. Some friends purchased it.

Dahlonega, GA

I can leave the celery out . Can you give me another , better recipe ?

Eunice, LA

We are full of secrets over here and actually cheat when making dirty rice or, as we call it, rice dressing. We use Savoie's mix. Even my husband's deceased grandmother's famous recipe calls for it. What I typically do is brown a pound of half pork/half beef ground meat along with the dressing mix and then add cooked rice. My secret is to add a can of cream of mushroom soup along with some chicken broth to make sure it is very moist. The dressing mix also makes excellent cornbread dressing or stuffing. http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_dressing.html If you order and like gumbo or fricasee (stew), get some of their roux while you're at it. An excellent source for all of this is cajungrocer.com.

Emeril's recipe looked really good, actually... I'd just omit the celery.

I love cookbooks and have several local church recipe books and what not. I'll look in them tonight and see if I can find a recipe for you. I think local cookbooks for benefits have the most authentic recipes anyway. There is a German settlement not far from here and I saw someone wanted a German potato salad recipe so I was going to look that up anyway.

I'd also like to second Allwild... if you haven't tried Community Coffee then you're missing out!

Dahlonega, GA

I was hooked on between roast for years but had to find a subsitute . The french roast ,walmart is pretty good.

Eunice, LA

You should sign up for email alerts on their website. They often have really good specials including free shipping. I've never tried Wal-Mart brand.

Their Cafe Special (it's a specialty coffee) is the best, IMO, but I usually drink their dark roast since it is most economical.

Eunice, LA

Rice dressing recipe from Mulate's restaurant, the original Cajun dance hall/restaurant:

Thumbnail by tathib
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Also spelled Boudain...

Eunice, LA

In Texas maybe, but not around here.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Jnette, thanks for that boudin recipe. Me too been wanting to make some...

Tathib, that's a nice trick adding cream of mushroom to your dressing.
Only thing I'll cheat when cooking Cajun fare will be the roux.
That I'll happily reach for Savoie's roux!
One day I'll order a turducken from www.cajungrocer.com !!

Dahlonega, GA

I gotta go cook , D H will be home in a minute . Puter messed up all day . Get back with you tomorrow .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Your welcome. All you have to do is google. Google knows everything. You just have tp state ot right. LOL

Dahlonega, GA

tathib , we met up with Moonhowl last year on our way to Tex and she brought me about 20 pkgs of Oak Grove Smokehouse gumbo and jambalaya base mix . It's pretty good . I have enough left over to last awhile . I add more red pepper to the jambalya mix tho .

hmmm dirty rice - will HAVE to make it, and will try boudin, too ^_^

♫♪~žusan~♪♫

Dahlonega, GA

OMG! I worked yesterday on my boudin . I had twice the recipe of pork and doubled up on most of the other ingredients, more salt , more pepper and in all it's fabulous. If anyone makes this ,be sure to mince the parsley if you put it through the grinder . I also cooked my rice in the extra stock from cooking the meat. D H came in and insisted on having a small bowl with his meal . I'll stuff my casing today.
Casing can be ordered from Cabellas . It's a lot cheaper from them than anywhere I could find it online.
This is gonna be some good eating .Freezes well , so have enough for awhile .

hmmm yes, been thinking about where to buy casing, here in Canada. Will have to look out for some.
Do you need a "stuffing" machine, or can it be done by hand?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.