Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: pets in the garden

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 7, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
venessa
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2001
3:22 PM

Post #3170

This has probably been discussed already but what can you do to keep dogs and cats from playing in the gardens. I remember something about hot peppers but not sure what. Do you make a spray are ground them up. Please help I don't want to disown my babies.

Venessa
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2001
10:31 PM

Post #65036

I worked around the dogs. They have paths and I've found that it's just best to move an element rather than try to move them. They have decided that the rock paths are ok - they use them as long as they are compatible with the trips around the house.

My question is, how do you keep the heifers out???
LOL - impossible!

Kathleen
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

April 6, 2001
6:20 PM

Post #66040

For dogs training. Keep in mind that they love you and want to please you. Be vigilant and make sure you notice the first steps into the forbidden zone whenever you're out there. Try to keep a watch when they're out but you're not. Respond instantly with your stern displeased voice. They will not get it immediately but they will get it. Keep after em. They'll try to tease you and pretend they don't remember. Don't let up for a second. It takes a while but it's doable.

Cats on the otherhand, only seem to respond to direct attack. i use foot long pieces of coat hanger poked thru established perennials. The coat hanger is not as unsightly as you might think. Lengths of chicken wire or similar over a freshly planted bed is effective.

Good luck and Much patience to you :)
Chris

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2001
12:24 AM

Post #67097

I just posted a response to using cedar mulch on beds to deter pests... my response is that my cats seem to avoid digging in the beds more when there is fresh cedar mulch. However, they love to dig in the pine bark mulch!
Ladyhawke

(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2001
3:00 PM

Post #67193

Ive heard you can lay down old rose canes to keep cats out of a bed. As far as dogs go, I have two. The german shepard is very good, and walks only on the paved pathways in my garden. The other is an exciteable husky, who loves to run through my flower beds at 100 miles an hour. After several broken plants, he has had his garden privalages revoked for the time being. He is good at sitting on command, but sometimes he sits right on top of my plants. O well. My big problem is with squirrels. I have put in a border of columbines, and have pulled up 39 walnut seedlings so far this year. Its a never ending battle.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2001
8:06 PM

Post #67223

With repetitious reminding of where they can and cannot walk, they will probably learn.Unfortunately our four-legged friends are very loyal and want to follow us everywhere. Costant reminding has worked for my 7 dogs. A digging pit of there own works if digging is the problem.
As for those walnut seedlings...they might find homes with some folks here at DG
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2001
8:22 AM

Post #72390

Someone told me that leaving the rose cane cuttings in the beds would keep the cats from using it as a litter box. Well it seems to work but I discovered that it also keeps me out of the bed for weeding...ouch! Had to rake away all the mulch to clean it up just to weed the bed! no more of that for me!
CoCo

May 3, 2001
9:49 AM

Post #72391

Try laying down pine cones in flower beds. Just might do the trick to keep dogs from digging.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America