-
AuthorContent
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2002
4:57 PM

Post #28142

I am not sure which to post hollyhock on this one or under Annual. I would like to ask you about Hollyhock. I never grow them before but I would like to try. Which is the best to start the seeds in ground or in pots? They are beautiful and have seen few around here.. I would like to add it to my garden..
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2002
6:23 PM

Post #251952

HollyHocks are considered Biennial(blooms the 2nd year after planting seed) for my zone. I would think that they are the same for your zone also. But couldn't be for sure.
I would start them from seed directly sown in your beds. I even have them to pop up in the grass! because they are good self seeders.
I have a couple of extra plants that should bloom this year if you want to make a trade? or I will gladly do it for postage. O by the way mine are a deep rosey pink color.
Let me know!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2002
4:38 PM

Post #257121

I started mine from seed inside a few years ago and they return now every year. Some are the singles and some are double. You just have to be careful when harvesting the seed as they do have some type of weevil bug which burrows through the seed leaving a tiny pinhole and those seeds are no good. I have harvested thousands of seeds and only gotten a handful that were not ruined.
Wintermoor
Jesteburg-Wiedenhof
Germany
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2002
5:38 PM

Post #257153

Minischnuz,
I have always planted the seeds indoors to give them a start, and then planted out in May. The plants are bi-annual, but if you are lucky, like I was, then you may get some in the first year. I have given away most of my older plants to my MIL, and I'm starting anew, with seeds which I harvested from my old 'hocks.
The thing about the seed harvest was that they had almost all become white after a year of excellent colour, but they looked great as well. I don't know if that means that they have gone back to their original colour through having lost the hybrid... some of the more experienced will be able to tell me that.

All the best

Wintermoor
Moogie
Lewisville, TX

May 8, 2002
11:01 AM

Post #257502

Mollybee - I would love some if you have any extra!! If you do, email me!
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2002
7:55 PM

Post #260200

Hollyhocks grow like weeds. I usually don't even bother with starting them indoors. I just throw them down and forget about it. They never fail to produce several good plants.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2002
1:24 PM

Post #263618

One of my all time favourite cottage plants!! Can't see them doing well in this clay soil though!! I did sow some seed outdoors, so we shall see!!
MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2002
7:54 PM

Post #263769

O trust me, Hollyhocks don't care what kind of soil they are in! I have some growing in gravel! and nothing but Ga red clay under that...so yea I say they grow in just about any kind of dirt. Matter a fact, I can't even dig mine up b/c the ground is hard as a rock and full of gravel.
So I say try it!! you'll be surprised!!
Aimee
Georgetown, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2002
8:15 PM

Post #263787

I threw some seeds out last spring because I was too weak to actually plant anything and had heard that the seed wouldn't survive long. They germinated rather sparsely, but two of them produced blooms near the ground. I am looking forward to seeing what they do this year, as I too love them in cottage gardens. Gives a garden that desirable old fashioned look.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2002
11:42 PM

Post #263924

I have Holly hocks before and last year... hit it right. I didn;t realize the need full sun? Well, my one plant did great. So much so, that I put in 5 more. I hope they all take. They look wonderful so far. I also tossed in some seeds about 6 weeks ago. so far, nothing. But. there is hope in my heart!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2002
3:13 AM

Post #264030

I have some bicolor pink/white that are perennials. They are also very aggressive reseeders. I got them from a neighbor a few years ago. I had a big bag of seed a couple years ago that was about 3 years old and some of them fell to the ground as I was carrying them out to throw away. They germinated and now I am going to have to do some serious thinning because they are taking over the bed where they sprouted.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2002
3:18 AM

Post #264035

You are lucky to have them from seeds. I will have to go rooting around tomorrow to see if any of mine have dared to raise their heads in the freezing zone!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2002
3:54 AM

Post #264049

mimi, you should have some coming up. I noticed today that the ones I planted last fall are coming up here, and we've been in the freezing zone too. Doesn't seem to bother them at all. They've even been snowed on, and still looking good.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2002
1:07 PM

Post #264167

I think we have snow in the air here. I'll have to go out there and see.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
9:47 PM

Post #931055

My beautiful double pink hollyhock has now black single blossoms.
How ddid that happen?

Aria
jaybear
Swadlincote
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2004
9:55 AM

Post #931704

I grow the single hollyhocks, and find they are a short-lived perennial here (2/3years), partly because the slugs and snails get them and they also get mildew. I have started them off early under glass (April time) or sew in small trays now and put in a shaded cold frame, and either pot on and put in a cold greenhouse over winter, or keep them in the trays over winter to save space, and put out when they get growing well in spring. I am about to sow some Fig-leaved hollyhocks (A.ficifolia), Mixed Hybrids. If they grow I shall like to see what the seeds are like after being visited and cross pollinated by the bees.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2005
5:17 AM

Post #1303794

since you are in zone 9 like me - a word of caution. Hollyhocks here are apt to get rust, a fungal condition that can spread to plants around it. You can find cultivars that are resistant, but your local nursery may not have them or even know what you are talking about. It's important because this Hollyhock problem can spread to other plants around it. I speak from experience, and a lot of spraying to keep the black grunge in line. I eventually took the things out and trashed them - and in the regular trash, not the compost heap. They are beautiful and I have had them here without a problem. These are a few places you can get rust resistant seeds. I won't vouch for them, just found them on google. First swallowtail garden seeds. The rust resistant varieties are at the bottom in mixed and yellow. They are single.

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/hollyhocks.html

This site explains the different types of hollyhocks.

http://www.wuvie.net/hockwhich.htm

Alcea Rugosa seems the most rust resistant. It's a pale yellow single and you can see it on the Swallowtail site. I've loved them when I've grown them. Oh, and don't put the sprinklers on them. Water them from the base. I think that's key because I put in a sprinkler system last year and it's the first time I had a problem. It's standard advice. If you can water from the ground you might try the fancier ones.

Here my Hollyhocks actually came back every year and got bigger as time went on.

Fancee1945
Scotts, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2005
1:46 AM

Post #1422939

I didn't read through all the postings so I apologize if I repeat something. My hollyhock bloomed beautifully last year (it was its first blooming, 2nd year). The end of the season when I cut it down I dug it up and moved it because it was much bigger than I thought for the space I had it in. It is now April and I am not seeing any new green shoots, is it too early? Please let me know when they come up? Thanks.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2005
12:08 PM

Post #1423506

This is one of the hollyhocks I planted on the north side of our garage, three years ago. It not only bloomed the first year, it just keeps on going every year. New ones have started from the seed, and they didn't bloom the first year...Mother Nature keeps puzzling me! I took seeds last year and put them in another area, and didn't see them come up at all, so I'm trying again. I love the way they look, and if they wanted to fill up the entire bed I'd be fine with it. They need help in staying upright because the blossoms are so heavy.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fancee1945
Scotts, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2005
3:49 AM

Post #1425443

Hi, I guess by reading thru the postings my hollyhock was a single white and last year was its third year so maybe it is not coming up this year. Does anyone have any double seeds they are willing to sell, trade or share? thanks...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2005
4:06 AM

Post #1425460

E-mail Nature Walker, she has HollyHock smarts.
tomden
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2005
12:22 PM

Post #1518454

This is my second yr. of having hollihocks and I have yet to have them bloom but they keep coming and the plant itself gets quite large. Not sure why they haven't bloomed? Help! Denise
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 7, 2005
3:25 PM

Post #1528399

Are they getting enough light? Mine do that and I have them in a 1/2 shade bed. My friend's hollyhocks from the same batch get full sun and bloom fine.
jaybear
Swadlincote
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2005
10:48 AM

Post #1533333

My hollyhocks get a good amount of sun (when it shines here) and do quite well, though short-lived. Some that were in a damper spot didn't come up after their first year, but that might have been the armies of slugs and snails that are in the garden, especially with the milder winters that we've had in this part of the UK.
Is your soil very rich Denise? The plants may be making leaf growth at the expense of flowers if that is so.

Janice
tomden
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2005
10:43 AM

Post #1548858

Sylvi74, Yes They're in full sun. Janice, this yr. I've really kept a tail on cutting the leaves so I don't really think that's it, mmmm! Still hoping to get some blooms! Denise
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1557855

Wow.. I have forget about this thread that I have started it. LOL Still have some seeds.. I won't be able to throw seeds cause my chickens would eat them before they start to grow LOL..

I put it on my tropical garden list!!!
Fancee1945
Scotts, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2005
2:11 AM

Post #1750124

My hollyhock story :-) I just started gardening two years ago, a really green thumb, only in the sense of being new!! My son gave me a little plant he had started from seed and I put it in the solid clay ground here in Michigan on the North side of the house which is fairly shady. The next summer that thing grew to be about 8 foot tall with ooodles of white double flowers, it was gorgeous. So not knowing anything about hollyhocks I cut the stalks down when they got really heavy and dried them out and saved all the seeds. I gave the seeds to my Mother who lives in Big Rapids, MI. Mine never came back up this year so I went out and bought six plugs of assorted colors. It is now August and they are really leafing out and about 1 foot tall now. Speaking to someone in the Michigan Forum they reminded me they are a biennial and will produce flowers next year. Well anyway I was throwing some weeds I had pulled out behind my hubby's little barn and guess what I found? All kinds of hollyhocks (foilage only) where they had self seeded from the stalks I had thrown back there last fall. Made me smile. So next year I guess I will have pretty white hollyhocks behind the barn :-). Problem is: the leaves have these lighter green swirlies all through them, my son said they are miners I believe. He said it is some sort of bug?? Anyone familiar with this and what happens with this problem? Thanks for your help.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 12, 2005
3:02 PM

Post #1754306

Those swirlies are leaf miners. I get them too, but not usually badly enough to do anything about them. They are a little bug that eats between the layers in the leaf. You can squish them inside the leaf with your fingers or you can pull off the infested leaf and get rid of it (don't compost-spreads the miners).
KristaJoy
New Richmond, WI
(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2005
8:13 PM

Post #1923733

I will planting hollyhocks for the first time this year. We are on top of a hill and it is very windy most of the time. Do they need to be supported and if so, how?
raggins
Paris, TX

December 27, 2005
11:48 AM

Post #1940906

The tall variety can get about 10-12 ft tall and will need support. Plant close to a sturcture if possible.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #1952277

We had hollyhocks, grown from seed, for many years and still have one patch left. Between the rust and the leaf miners it is annoying to constantly be checking on them. I do rip off the infected leaves and throw them in the garbage, never the compost.

When they bloom they are lovely and do impart that cottage feeling and they're also useful to blot out unwanted distractions.

Ours grew to 13' one year before a summer storm broke the stems down to about 3 or 4'. That's much too discouraging for me.
persevere1
Metamora, IL

January 18, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #1984537

Is there a way to keep hollyhocks from looking spindly and gangly? All of the neighbors around here have hollyhocks, but the great majority of them appear unsightly to me---few blooms, mostly at the very top, and the plants are ratty looking. Not a rust problem that I can see, just unattractive. I like hollyhocks very much, and would like to have some, but not if they are unsightly much of the time. Thanks for any help.
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2006
7:56 PM

Post #1989231

I planted my first hollyhock plant last year and it did fine. I cut it back in the fall and the weather has been so warm I actually see some growth out there with the melting snow. Even had our windows open today for a little fresh air as we had temps to 65 degrees (you gotta love New England's ever-changing weather). Anyway, I didn't know this plant was a bi-ennial when I purchased it. I've heard these things have a tendency to take over, so I'm wondering if they re-seed/self seed each year?

Thanks.

Megan

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2006
2:58 AM

Post #1990143

Megan-

I've NEVER actually grown hollyhocks but I've been in love with them for a year now. From what I've read, they DO self-seed. Wish me luck with mine and I'll send you a wish for luck with yours.

xxxx, Carrie
lafko06
Brimfield, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #1990431

Oh goody, lol, thanks Carrie!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2006
8:30 PM

Post #1997636

My pleasure, Megan... here's your wish >*< it's small because I'm not exactly sure what we should wish for.

xxxxx, Carrie
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2009122

This message was edited May 30, 2010 7:56 PM
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2026177

I planted hollyhocks from seed three years ago and got lovely flowers the same year and they have reseeded themselves every year and grow up a 7foot chain link fence but do need to be staked or they will fall over because they had so many blooms on them. Being new to gardening, I thought that I should pull them all up and throw them away last fall because I thought you needed to change what you planted every year or two and I had grown the hollyhocks for three years so I pulled them all up and now I am sick about it. I have let that area go all winter and will ammend the soil and then replant from seed again and see what happens. I really love hollyhocks and am hopefull that I will again have them in my yard. We have a very hot,dry summer but cold winter and they do very well in full sun. I had single and double and every color from white,yellow pink, red and the most beautiful salmon color. Hope I am lucky again this year

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2026520

Robinrt,

Did you plant them from seed originally? Did you plant them straight in the ground or start them inside? I have a couple HH plants that I bought ($$$) and planted last fall but I'm so anxious to see them bloom, and I want more more more.

xxxxx, Carrie

This message was edited Feb 12, 2006 12:03 AM
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #2034785

I planted from seed that was given me by a friend who has a lot of hollyhocks and they came up first year. She has moved so bought some seeds at local Home Depot the other day and it says right on the package that it is 365 days before bloom so I am going to plant them anyway after adding some soil ammendment with the idea that I probably wont see anything this year but it is still possable that I will get some because there were lots of seeds that fell onto the ground before I pulled everything up so I am still hopefull. I did plant them straight into the ground.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #2039255

Well, robin, I guess that's good news for me, anyway! I have some seed but it's got all that nonsense on it about 6 - 8 weeks before last frost and scary words like "greenhouse" and "seedling". I'll just sow them near where the plant ones are and hope for the best, which is generally my policy about gardening anyway. :-)

xxxx, Carrie
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2039527

Carrie I think that is as good a policy as any and good luck Robin
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2006
5:46 PM

Post #2075345

I'm going to be growing these this year from seed and I an wintersowing them right now. Here is a grower who sells all types of seeds and she also has lots of great informartion about growing and caring for them and yes she does mention rust and preventing it before it happens.. Ans she mentions pests as well. :)
http://www.wuvie.net/hollyhocks.htm

Susan
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 4, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2085764

My beloved Grandfather always grew Hollyhocks so I do too. Every time I see them I get warm memories. . I planted mine from seed started inside. Some bloomed the first year. They do self seed thus new ones every year, so you get some with flowers every year.

My favorite story about them is that they were planted around the out house and since they are tall it was easy to see where it was. That way the "ladies" didn't need to ask the indelicate question of where the out house was.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2086350

What a great story! I choose plants in memory of my grandmother all the time...
xxxxx, Carrie
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2006
1:13 PM

Post #2095453

I plant Pansies in memory of my grandmother every year. She said she liked their "smiling faces" She is the one who taught me the love of gardening and also of making jams and jellies. I know that she is looking doewn on my Pansies every year and smiling. Did I spell Pansies right? I am a very poor speller but if I didn't spell it right yu know what I mean.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2124151

Mini--I grow hollyhocks every year here in a similar climate to yours. I start mine in small seedling pots (peat pots dry out too quickly for me) with germinating mix at end of July outside on the shady porch. Watch the water constantly as it is so hot down here at that time of year. When they get about 4 true leaves, plant out in garden (usually end of Aug) and make sure they never dry out. They will sit in the ground and sulk until about mid-Oct and then grow like gangbusters all winter long. They then start blooming (for me anyway) about end of April-mid May. They like pretty rich soil and will not make it thru the heat of summer for me, anyway. I treat them like bienniels. Here are mine, as of Friday with an old lettuce leaves mulch behind them. I'm into heavy mulch with them, and everything else down here. Hope this helps.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218

soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2006
11:59 AM

Post #2127315

thanks for sharing this Debbie. I have lots of seedlings coming up right now from my wintersowing efforts and I had no idea they would be so slow to start. I would have really wondered what was wrong by the end of summer of they weren't close to bloom size, even though I know it can take two summers to see blooms :)

Susan
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2006
1:31 PM

Post #2140058

Hi everyone I haven't planted my hollyhock seeds yet but have some coming up from last year even though I pulled them up there must have been some seeds that made it. I am still going to plant the seeds and also have something I bought at Walmart that say's its Hollyhock but is in plastic (I haven't opened it yet , just put it in the fridge until ready to plant) It is long and has roots. Never saw anything like it before.and dont have any instructions with it. Is anyone familiar with this? It is still 28 degrees on my porch in the mornings so am waiting for another week or so before planting as it is warming up fast now. At least I know I will see some Hollyhocks this year if nothing else pans out. Wish me luck

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2141463

Just reading back over this thread... it is fairly remarkable that one plant should be desired by so many of us in so many different zones! Something like 3a to 9b! Wow. Hip Hip Hooray for Hollyhocks!
raggins
Paris, TX

April 1, 2006
1:45 AM

Post #2154199

Holly hocks are my favorite. I can see some blooms now and can hardly wait...
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2173703

Hi everyone I planted my Hollyhock roots yesterday and now just wait to see if I planted them right or upside down?? It is really hard to tell because there were "roots" all over them. They were at least 6-8 inches long and the guide that came with them said to plant them 1 inch deep???? Anyway hope I planted them right and they are guarenteed to bloom this year (IF planted per directions) so I will keep you posted. I am looking forward to a colorfull sight this summer.
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2289675

Is there any pest you can think of that would eat HUGE holes in my hollyhock leaves? This is the first year I have seen that ... big chunks out of the edges and in the center too ... I haven't seen any caterpillers yet and can't imagine what could be doing that -- we are having a run of heavy rain almost every day ...
jgoutwest
Bozeman, MT
(Zone 3a)

May 20, 2006
5:27 AM

Post #2298530

I am in zone 3a and we spread the seeds in the fall and now I am pulling them out of my grass and they have taken over the borders and block my other flowers. They are beautful up against house. Anyone want seeds from MT?
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2006

Post #2298957

:) My wintersowing of these seeds was very sucessful. I've been sharing too. I'm sure they will not bloom for me till next year, but I'm fine with that :)

Susan

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2302477

jg-

what color? just kidding ~ I have lots of seeds, I just don't plant them. How does one 'wintersow'?

xxxxxxx,
Carrie
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2006
3:22 AM

Post #2304385

Ooooooohhhhhh boy Carrie! There is a whole entire forum on Daves devoted to it!! Go check it out! :) I loved it!!

Susan
budaj67
Peyton, CO

June 7, 2006
3:13 AM

Post #2360911

I also planted Hollyhock Roots, but on May 12 in Zone 5. Almost one month later and I see no signs. I also wonder if I planted them correctly...I planted them horizontally about...although it said one inch I went 1-2" because the soil is very light potting soil. Has anyone else had any luck with Hollyhock Roots? I hope to see blooms this first year as well.
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #2421396

crockny:

the pests that are eating holes in your leaves are most likely japanese beetles. DON'T buy the "traps" that are sold in stores as they will attract more of the jb's. I got tired of the "lacy" leaves and tore out all of my "black" (deep burgundy and deep purple undertones) hhs but I miss the beautiful blooms so I've started more plants. I have them started by our wire mesh fence so can keep them from falling over by tying twine around the plants and securing to the fence. I have another plant, malva zebrina (sometimes referred to as "mini-hh") that reseeds so they will be in front of the tall hh's. For reasons unknown the jb's don't eat the malva's leaves. Just a "funny" note: I bought seeds to start the malva z's but never used them cause I "inherited" the plant(s) from my next-door neighbor who inherited them from her neighbor and last year I gave plants/seeds to my other neighbor! Very PROLIFIC plant but very pretty flowers (got the seeds that I never used from Swallowtail Garden Seeds...)!

crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2424685

Actually it was the gypsy moth larva eating my leaves ... they were so small at first I hardly saw them and couldn't believe they could eat such big holes ... boy was I wrong!
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2006
1:06 AM

Post #2659883

Mini, I sow my hollyhocks starting in February here, stagger them every couple weeks so they're blooming a long time. You have a long growing season like we do so they will bloom the first year and reseed. I start them in the ground.

This one is blooming now, which is kind of strange because I've never had one bloom when it's this hot. It has some leaf miners and red spider, but not bad.

Thumbnail by fly_girl

robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2006
2:30 PM

Post #2858612

It is about time I got back with everyone here. I have been in the hospital a few times since talking to all of you but hope to be better soon. The Hollyhock roots that I planted did beautiful this summer and in fact some are still blooming even though it is in the 40's at night now but in the 60's-70 during the day. I have harvested some of the seeds but like last year many of them have fallen on the ground and if they do as they did this year I should have nice Hollyhocks again next summer. It gets pretty cold here (in the teens) during the winter so dont expect that they will be blooming much longer. I am going to plant the seeds that I harvested next to my house now and see if I get Hollyhocks next year. I have not had any problem with bugs except the kind that bite me so hope I can continue to be lucky on that score.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #2858793

Hope you're feeling better Robinrt.

I'm sure your Hollyhocks will be beautiful!
I found some black H seeds and hope they bloom, that would be such an unusual color in the garden.
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2006
12:38 PM

Post #2880355

flygirl where did you get the black hollyhock seeds. Did you buy them somewhere? I would love to get some for my garden too. Let me know where you got them.
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2006
1:30 PM

Post #2880493

Robin, here's where I got them

http://summerhillseeds.com/alcea-hollyhock-black-currant-whirl-p-244.html?osCsid=77155d1d7ec25bde72f8a846e7adbdd0
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2880897

This message was edited May 30, 2010 7:56 PM
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2006
7:57 PM

Post #2887925

Robin:

I have black hollyhock seeds from these if you want them for SASE ...

Sharron

Thumbnail by crockny

linedancer
Fort McCoy, FL

November 8, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2893664

This Spring will be first time planting "Hocks". I guess I'll just sow the seeds outside. I noticed nobody from FL gave any tips. P.S. All you "Hock" lovers from New England, hello! Moved down here from RI last year.
Gail
fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #2893931

LD, I direct seed them in the garden starting in Feb. here, and I stagger them about every 2 weeks so they bloom for a long time. You could try some in pots inside and some outside, they seem to take easily outside.
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #2897101

crockny
Yes I do indeed want some of those seeds. How can I get them?? Send me a Dmail if you can. I usually check my info most every morning early before getting ready for work. Those Hollyhocks are really beautiful. I had a bronze color one year but never saw it again and don't know how I got it in the first place. I harvested all the seeds I could get but many had already dropped on the ground while I was in the Hospital and so they are already up a good foot tall and don't know what to do about them because it is very cold at night down to 34 degrees and then in the late 60's to 70's during the day . Anyone know what I should do about them? I will plan on sowing my seeds around February.
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2897769

Robin:

Don't know how it works in your zone -- in mine any seedlings I have coming up go dormant and then come up and bloom the next year ...

I will post my address in my journal (if I can figure out how!) and you can send me a SASBE for the black hollyhock seeds -- put in a note saying what you want because I have other people asking for different hollyhocks!
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2909474

Crockny,
I am embarrased to admit that I do not know what SASBE is . I really am a novice at all of this computer stuff and only know a very little about DMail so please let me know what to do to send a SASBE. I really do want some of those black Hollyhock seeds.
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2006
5:22 PM

Post #2910059

I will d-mail you ...

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2006
3:30 PM

Post #3016565

well, now that I have read this thread, I am going to try hollyhocks. I don't have full sun hardly anywhere on my property, but I do have some areas that have about 3/4 sun. I will post my results next year. By the way, does anyone know the poem, "Hollyhocks by the kitchen door?"
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #3049608

I planted seeds with my x h and they grew 2 years later most of them and some bloomed the first year immediatly but real short. I go over to his house now and steal his seeds when i pick up my son and i am about to jack the scales off the bulbs i planted. i may or may not ask him. He won`t care but his girlfriend may/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #3050435

LOL XH are only worthwhile as sperm donors. GOOD husbands come along once in a lifetime, and I'm hanging on to mine.

xxxx, Carrie
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #3051188

me 2 sister and my x`s gardens that i planted
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3051221

Ouch!! 11!! Hotter than GA asphalt in the dead of summer I'm sure..

Too funny!! You wild woman.. you get those seeds and whatever else you can high tail out if there and tell him and his girlfriend your taking care of "their" garden when you do it!
:)
Susan
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #3051331

rotfl

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #3053658

I wouldn't know about Ga asphalt, but... it gives me a great deal of pleasure to see my XH admiring/imitating our yard/garden that DH and I have created in the house he (XH) and I once shared. We have a thick border of daylilies between us and the street. He (XH) drools over it everytime he comes to get the kids. They can't get daylilies to grow at her house. heh, heh, heh!

Thumbnail by carrielamont

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3053690

This is the pic I meant to attach.

xxxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2007
3:09 AM

Post #3054519

OOOh aah, what kind are the peach ones?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #3056650

????????? We planted it before we knew it mattered what they were called!

xxxxx, Carrie
soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 6, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #3057621

HA HA!! Me to!! They look great! Mine are all unknows too! :) Some of them have the tag under the dirt and their it shall remain till it's time to divide.

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3058873

I have never seen hollyhocks in the nursury sold as plants, just seeds here. I know a lady with 2 1/2 acres and her property just has them everywhere , she just let them go on their own and they did so.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2007
12:54 AM

Post #3060244

Yeah, figures they would do that in CA! Although, 11, plenty of people sell them as plants. Burpee (boooo!), Springhill, etc. Probably Bluestone. .Here in New England we're trying to coax along a border of four or five plants.

Right on, Susan, I'm with you all the way!

xxxx, Carrie
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #3060269

yeah well before you get too envious, note that i am in the high(hot) desert where few plants thrive easily except weeds, which freely blow seeds in your yards, gophers and rabbits run amuck and we must have sprinklers water everything and at strategic times. The grass is always greener and yours is way greener than mine from this vantage point. lol

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3060334

At this time of year it's supposed to be brown or covered with snow. I'm not that envious.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2007
7:23 PM

Post #3062464

ya, don`t be. No snow but ugly and dead. Just pretty mountains with snow and foothills but you can see for 100 miles in most all directions because i live outside of town, in a valley.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3089711

Hollyhocks are sooooo easy to grow from seed. I am growing 'Indian Spring' and 'Carnival' that I put in the ground in October. When I lived in Houston, (same zone as south Texas) these two cultivars seem to do the best. I would love to grow other doubles, etc. but they do better in colder zones..I would think that high desert would be great for some of the other cultivars..have fun growing from seed. I always start mine indoors or front porch and gradually acclimate them to less humidity; then on to the garden.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2007
2:30 AM

Post #3091686

I grew doubles from seed in my other house, we do have cold winters, especially this year , record lows since the 30s. It was 3 degrees for 2 days and just above that for 4. We were looking into pellet stoves or wood, anyone have opinions on them? I went on the pire place forum and people were not of strong opinion on those two choices.
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2007
7:18 PM

Post #3103885

Haven't been on this thread for some time. Crockny, if you are watching I am going to plant my seeds next month instead of waiting until April like I did last year. My hollyhocks came up but not until June and it was late before they had grown to the height they were the year before. We will still have freezing weather but I will cover them with some compost and hope for the best. I am trying to learn the digital camera and how to send pictures so if I can do it I will send pictures this year. Anyone else planting their hollyhock seeds this early?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2007
9:18 PM

Post #3114984

I don't have time (for anything, really, but) to go back and reread this thread. I am planning to WinterSow some hollyhocks. Soon. (Winter JUST arrived in Massachusetts.)

xxx, Carrie

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2007
3:44 PM

Post #3284222

Your posts are so very interesting..shows what type of gardener I am...I've tried for many years to grow hollyhocks to no avail...my girlfriend has them along her house and they are to die for...don't know what I'm doing wrong but once the snow leave I'll try some of your suggestions...
robinredthumb
Cottonwood, AZ
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2007
1:08 PM

Post #3308723

Well I planted my black hollyhock seeds last week and also have some coming now from last year so hope to have some nice ones this year. Our weather is warm during the day but still in the 40's at night. I just threw the seeds out and covered them with some composted soil and will let you know how they do. It is very interesting how many people from so many different places love and plant Hollyhocks. They are beautiful aren't they?
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2007

Post #3311923

I'm jealous -- I wish I could plant something now but as you can see my garden is somewhat under the weather ...

Thumbnail by crockny

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #3312097

Under the weather! ROTFLMAOAPIMP!!!!

xxx, Carrie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America