Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Heirloom Vegetables: Does anyone grow Crinums?

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 18, Views: 590
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planman38104
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2002
11:24 PM

Post #28245

Hardy to zone 7 our grandmothers garden were not complete without these passalong plants. Imported from the tropics in the early to mid 1800's these enormous bulbs - up to 5 pounds each, 12 inches high and up to 6 inches around for a mature specimen - are about the most carefree plants around. Plant in full sun and forget. The favorite variety was one called milk and wine - white blooms with a red stripe.

Thumbnail by planman38104
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2002
11:47 PM

Post #252772

i have 1 milk & wine, but i have quite of few of "gulf pride". the flower is similiar to m & w, but the foliage is darker and glossy and the red stripe is a faint pink. ( i was unable to find any info on the web so i sent 1 to seedman? and he id'd it for me.
i would love to have the pink ones but have been unable to locate any.
they are the most carefree bulb ive ever had..i dug some out there were larger than grapefruits. they are amazing
jen
planman38104
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2002
11:52 PM

Post #252776

MSJen the pink is powellii. Great site for other crinums is www.plantdelights.com.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2002
12:03 AM

Post #252790

Beautiful! I'm at the edge of 7a...what do you think?????
Do I dare take a chance? What does something like this cost?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2002
5:40 AM

Post #253025

melody, if you're looking for milk and wine (look in database for the picture of mine) I can help you out!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2002
3:57 PM

Post #253207

Hey! If I remember right the famous JustMeLIsa sent me one last year...I still have it planted in a pot in the g-house (and it's Milk and Wine). I was hoping to keep it potted up all summer. Any idea how big a pot I should put it in? (It is leafing out very nicely now.)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2002
4:53 PM

Post #253251

Mel, I got some Milk and Wine crinums last year, planted them in a protected spot, mulched them heavily and they did fine.

But...how can you be zone 7a? The USDA map shows us in the same 6b boat, doesn't it? Wahhhhh.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2002
5:50 PM

Post #253282

vols,I'm right in the middle of a small microclimate.If you look at the detailed USDA map...not the one that is usually printed...we've got a 7a rating right around us for about 40 miles. Odd ,huh?

There is a very detailed map that good nurseries have posted,but I've never seen it anywhere else.Lots of pockets with their microclimates are on this really great map.Maybe we can find one somewhere and post it.
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2002
7:43 PM

Post #253353

That would be great, Mel. Lot's of us could probably benefit from it.

For instance, I'm in a wedge-shaped pocket of 6b, surrounded by 6. But I can't tell you where the edge of that wedge is.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2002
2:29 PM

Post #253914

I'd like to see that map too...my weather machines are constantly in disagreement with the "official" folks. I have a feeling I have a microclimate within a microclimate!
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2002
6:46 PM

Post #254095

That's quite possible, Shoe.

Take me. I'm in 6B, officially. But we're down in a holler, which has it's own effects. Net result: My property _never_ agrees with what the weather people say.

Of course, we tend to overplay the importance of the USDA zones, anyway. I mean does it tell us anything meaningful when New England, the middle Atlantic, the mid south, deep south, southwest, and California are all the same zone?

Connecticut and Kentucky are basically the same zone. Yet we are harvesting stuff about the same time they're putting it in the ground.

Wish there was a national map that was based on weather conditions, rather than just on frost dates.
planman38104
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2002
10:24 PM

Post #254271

Brook there is a new zone map put out by the American Horticultural Society having to do with heat during the year. It divides the US into areas where summer temps are similiar. It is showing the number of days above 86 degrees in each area. Evidently 86 degrees is the temp that begins to stress plants. So if you have the plants rated as to how much heat they can handle and how much cold they can also handle - will make planting a lot less hit or miss.
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2002
11:29 PM

Post #254334

Sounds good. Do you know where this map is available?
planman38104
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2002
9:40 PM

Post #254914

American Horticultural Society should have copies. Their site is ahs.org
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2002
11:01 PM

Post #254973

Thanks, Plantman, but as it turns out I'd found it earlier.

I'm not sure it serves much purpose, yet. Very few plants of any kind have been rated. And there are so many disclaimers surrounding those 86 degree days figures as to almost make them meaningless.

What's really needed is a zone map for every state similar to the one Sunset produces for the western states. It takes all the variables AHS uses as disclaimers and combines them into a more meaningful grow chart.

Ah, well. We can dream can't we.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2002
12:51 AM

Post #257914

My Criniums are planted directly in the ground, and I have the Milk & Wine. When I did a Google search on them, they said they were originally from Africa.

"eyes"
Kelly333
Longview, TX

May 10, 2002
8:31 PM

Post #259055

I have one that Woody gave me last year. It is coming up, but hasnt bloomed yet. I believe it was a white. (it had already bloomed before he gave it to me)
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #4974744

plantman I have crinums but can't remember for sure if stripe is pink or red, very old bulbs I have been moving with me for years because they were my grandmothers. I am working on identifing plants will get picture of bloom this year and post.
louparris
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5017370

I want to echo the request for the detailed map. I am in Zone 9a but here is Houston, the conventional wisdom is that the soil matters more than the freeze zone.
Lou

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM
Luther Hill Corn Pardancanda 16 Dec 5, 2012 4:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America