Journal

Jan. 8, 2001
Well, what can I say!? Many thanks to Dave for giving us a place to hang out. Bless you Dave!! I am so happy. I hope to see all the gang here in time. Were to get started, uh, lets see, well, I survived the cold and most of my garden did. The temps. will be climbing back to our norm. 67-70*. Lots of rain last night. All the critters are doing fine. My neighbor brought her horses in our pasture, the goats now have company. My geese are acting like they will start laying soon. I can see my female's belly looking like an egg is down there, they have been mating. I can't wait to replenish my stock of geese. Since the bobcat attack I only have 3 left. My garden is coming along fine. The cabbage should be ready soon, broccoli too. Can't wait to eat the first one. Well, enough about me...What is on ya'll schedule today? Have a great one, blessings, Lisa

(Zone 5A)

Well, good morning Lisa. So nice to see you again. This Dave fella must be a kind soul. Been feeling lost without Farm Forum...have to have a way to keep my eye on my dream! Seed catalogs are pouring in here in NW Illinois. My eyes are always bigger and plans always greater than my summer energy but THIS year...

Can't believe its so cold down by you - when I lived there I didn't even have a coat. We're hoping for a major thaw up here this week. Somewhere I read that there's only 76 days til SPRING!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Good morning all. Isn't this just wonderful?! Now we can stay in touch.
The sun is up, I need to go out and get the ten minutes of chores done, and then think about when today I will go to town. Of course there is the schooling of DGS to get done. I think DH will have to work on DGS's computer to see why it keeps crashing. I do hope we don't lose his school work again.
God bless and keep all of you today.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Greetings, all ~

Rain, Rain and more Rain today. Had to carry the doberman outside - she didn't want to get her delicate little paws wet. Ok, they aren't *that* delicate - she's an 80 lb 1 yr old!

Anyway, looks like I found our new home. Take care everyone.

Karla

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dave! I am looking forward to this new group.

Hi Everyone,

First, you're all welcome for the forum. It's my pleasure. Really. I love gardening and the rewards of making this site are uncountable.

I'm 25 years old and married with 2 small children. We just moved up to Lenoir City, TN (30 miles SW of Knoxville) so that we can pursue our interest in gardening (including Dave's Garden) fulltime.

We live on a 16 acre farm that has not been used in 24 years. This winter most of my work is going into cleaning up so much overgrown stuff, and I've made a lot of progress. The farm has a very very old barn (falling apart badly), a nice 20x20 woodshop, 2 houses (one house is our dwelling, the other house is my office and guest-suite).

About 12 acres of the land is in pasture, and 4 acres of wooded/forestry.

It's good to have farmers here - I'll be watching and reading every post that goes through this forum!

Best,
Dave

P.S. To start a new thread, go back to the main page for this forum (where it lists all the threads) and scroll to the bottom. At that area is a place to start a new thread. It's the same process as replying to an existing thread.

Patty,

You are logged on properly, but I have a problem somewhere in that it is not posting messages properly for a very few people.

Anyway, I think I might have fixed it just now (I've been working on this for a while). If you post any messages in the future and they appear broken somehow, look again in 60 seconds and the problem should correct itself.

Dave

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning. I am headed out to feed the horses and mules. It is cloudy and windy here today. Not really that cold 25* overnight and up to 26* now. Yesterday I worked a while with the mule colt who is being weaned. He isn't real happy about this. And he wasn't being too cooperative. We will continue our little game today a few minutes at a time. I'm still trying to win his confidence. I also need to grab a horse and ride down into the big pasture to check the grass supply. I am reading seed catalogs like everyone else. THINK SPRING!! What is everyone else doing today?

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,
Slight rain here but it's better than snow! The chickens seemed extra hungry today. I may have to take in some extra rabbits and chickens for my friend, until she gets her well going.
I always remind myself that I have to be smarter next year about getting hay..lol. Seems I've run out and buying at the feed mill is a premium price. I'd rather buy from a farmer and get a ton or so at a good price during the summer. I've never gotten those round bales. What is a 4x4 bale? Is that a smaller round one? Do they need covering in the winter outside? I always have gotten the small square timothy hay or alfalfa bales.
Well, as you know..I don't like to trample in mud..lol..but I've got some outdoor chores to do, so off I go! Have a good day everyone :)
Trish

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Hey, Dave,

Now that you're in Lenoir City, if you haven't already done so make sure you visit John Rice Irwin's place---the Museum of Appalachia. You'll fall in love with it.

Although there are some static displays, most of it is a working Appalachian farm village, with original cabins moved to the site, and antique tools doing the work.

It's only a short drive from you.

New Paris, OH

We are having our january thaw this week so the snow is receding a bit, though today it is below freezing again. We have a sick hen in the computer room getting better. She has been basking in the warmth of the house for 3 days now. She will probably go back out tomorrow.

Our farm is about 5 rented acres of organic produce. It is just me and my husband working the five acres. We have been at this endevor for 7 years, the past 4 full timers.

Someday soon we will buy a place of our own.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well shut mah ever'lovin' mouth! So(!) this is where some of ya'll got to! Thanks to an email from Lisa and Patty I was able to track ya down! (I was beginning to think no one wanted to hear some "true" tall tales from me anymore! Perhaps at least here they won't become GW's property.)
Mucho thanks Mr. Dave (can we call someone so young, and smart(!) "Mr."?) I'm jealous of your new place...perhaps we should all meet at your farm for a work party and get you in good working order, eh? eh? In the meantime I can offer you info re organic farming as well as raising chickens and all that goes w/it. ('Specially since you have young'ns...you're gonna wanna know which chickens lay blue eggs, green eggs, etc...) Ya'll be happy. Keep smiling!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

OH HORSESHOE!((( big hug))), so glad you came visit us. Here, have a cup of joe. This is great!!! :-)

Welcome, Horseshoe. Glad to have you. That sounds like a Tennessee accent you have. :)

I accept the offer of a big "get Dave's farm in working order" party - right here at Dave's Garden (the real one, not the website) :-)

:)

Best,
Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images