Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: my first pond

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 6, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
no1thumb
Homer, NY

May 3, 2002
10:27 PM

Post #28500

I finally bought a small pond kit from walmart 6'x4'x1.5'in dia.it comes complete with a 210 gallon pond pump.I've been reading everyones guetions and answers and mine is do I have to leave the pump on all winter I plan on having some small fish and also plan on getting a heater to keep a hole in the ice for winter. bare with me Im learning I guess besides digging the hole for the pond the bigest thing is to dig a trench for electricity about 60' and then put the cord in pvc pipe so it doesn't rot, wish me luck I can't wait
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2002
12:22 AM

Post #255023

I myself, Do not leave the pump running in the winter, ( But, Some people do ) I do have a heater to keep the ice open tho.
I wish you much luck with your pond!!! I know how excited you must be!!! :)
no1thumb
Homer, NY

May 5, 2002
12:04 AM

Post #255587

thanks Iris I just hope the fish will do ok without the pump on .I can't wait the place where I would like to put the pond has tulips in bloom so have to wait till they die back and then move them and then till the area up. my gandson (3) and I were out in the garden today and he kept asking me if we were gonna put the pond in today I said not yet " he's my inspiration"
purpleice
Bridgman, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2002
12:50 AM

Post #255615

I got my 125 gallon pond 2 yrs. ago and I firmly believe if anything in the world can inspire hope and imagination in a living being it is the pond or watergarden with fish in it! What you can imagine your pond looking like, you can achieve, because every single year thereafter you want to make it look better than the year before. And you get the added bonus of frogs, toads and birds in winter ( and summer ) who cannot resist the sight of a pond with fresh running water or just water, period! You will LOVE your pond, good luck!!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2002
12:55 AM

Post #255620

I keep my pump running all winter,so you should be fine...I just worry its not deep enough...
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2002
6:17 AM

Post #255743

no1 thumb, I have not had the pump running in the winter for about 4 or 5 yrs. now and have never lost a single fish ~ for a matter of fact, It seems each fall and spring, I end up with more and more baby fish!! LOL! I started off with 4 small goldfish ( One was killed by a cat! ) Those goldfish are now over 7 inches long and have had 13 baby's so far and there will be more born any day now!! I'm so glad I built another double pond last year to put them all in!! Plus I just bought two huge shubunkins ~ Pretty soon I'm going to have to put an add in the local paper and start selling some goldfish! LOL! Purpleice took the thoughts right out of my mind with her post above ~ I wish you much luck with your pond!...I'm sure you'll love it once you have it set up and running!
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2002
12:26 PM

Post #256237

This is wonderful!! More "ponders". I keep my pumps running during winter also but I do disconnect the waterfall. "T" :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America