Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: Seed Storage - Is Freezing Safe?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 5, Views: 443
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tweezle
State College, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2001
4:05 PM

Post #3214

I have Johnny's Selected Seeds book called "Growing Garden Seeds". In it, it lists approximately how long a seed is good for both with no specific storage conditions and Extended storage where you put the seeds in a freezer. With tender plants like tomatoes - is it safe to freeze the seeds? I know this is a silly question, but I don't want to lose my heirlooms by trying this.

TIA for the help!
Happy Gardening
Theresa in PA
dave

April 4, 2001
4:22 PM

Post #65264

I froze some of my federle tomato seeds from December 5th through March 5th. Not a single seed germinated, while the seed that I left in room temperature gave me 100% germination.

Dave
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #65268

Well, there's freezing, and there's freezing.

For starters, most viability charts are based on storing in cool, dry conditions. If you can do that, you can keep seed surprisingly long times. Keep in mind that the viability charts are based on 50% viability after whatever the listed period, and that you will often get germination far longer than that.

Professional freezing is how seed banks keep seed. This is done, of course, in liquid nitrogen. Such seed is considered good for at least 40 years.

Home freezing presents some problems. Seed should be stored in a 0 degree freezer. Most upright freezers, and the freezer compartments in fridges, do not go that low. The problem is, if the seed isn't fully dry (to 5% moisture), and it gets frozen slowly, large ice crystals form and puncture the cell walls, thus killing the seed. The faster you freeze the seed, the less likely this is to happen.

In addition, you should never store seed in a self-defrosting freezer, because it is then subject to a possible freeze/thaw/freeze sequence.

When removing seed from the freezer, it should remain in its wrapper (most of us use plastic bags or canning jars) until reaching room temperature. Otherwise condensaton can form, and this moisture can negatively effect germination rates.
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2001
5:59 AM

Post #65857

I keep seed in my spare refrigerator, in the summer, and the cool garage in the winter. The reg. night temps dont get below 30 in the garage. They usually are viable about 4 years. I wouldnt freeze them.
dsrtgdn
Lancaster, CA

April 6, 2001
4:48 PM

Post #66025

I have a box type freezer. Seeds have beed stored in it for the past 5 years now. I have noticed no excessive loss of viability. This summer I'm growing some 5 year old tomato seeds in fact for fresh seed. 80% viability was average. The peas that I'm growing are 3 year old seed. No apparent problem there either.

I think part of the problem with seed storage (and freezing)is as Brook mentioned having thoroughly dry seed to start with. In the desert it isn't as difficult to achieve this as in some parts of the country perhaps.

Chris
MikeD
Liberal, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2001
5:34 AM

Post #75367

I would concur that the proper preparation, packaging and handling of the seeds is important to successful long-term storage at sub-freezing termperatures. The trick is to slow the seed's metabolism and keep the conditions stable without damaging them at the cellular level. Obviously, not everyone can afford sub-zero storage devices (perhaps with the exception of large companies and large government programs).

Here is a link to a seedbank program in Sweden that you may find of interest.

http://www.ngb.se/Seedstore/Technology/Storage.html

Mike

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America