SOLVED: groundcover

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

what is this? pink tones underside

Thumbnail by tiG
Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Looks very familiar.. Could it be somekind of Hebe? (Hebe x andersonii?) Not sure, the leaves look a little different. But it could be ;)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

could be Evert, but i think more likely Euonymus fortunei probably 'Variegatus'

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

So Euonymus was the other I was thinkig. With hairy flowers..

I agree with Euonymus fortunei - Silver Queen (as as variegatus) has that pink undertone to the leaves

Yes, I went for Variegatus as that's more prostrate and fits with the description of groundcover. SQ grows to be a substantial shrub and i don't find it gets as pink as that either, though granted it is tinted.

I didn't realise there was a difference in the sub species and the cultivar Philomel. Thanks!

Just spend too much time with my nose in Hilliers' catalogue LOL :)

I often visit the Hilliers arboretum nursery but I've never been round there LOL.

tiG This is a lovely little shrub I hope it does well for you

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, y'all are good, I told DH you all would get it in no time:) thanks!

(Zone 6a)

It's more like a vine than a shrub, but you can prune it to make it look like a shrub...otherwise it start creeping off in every direction. Here's a picture of mine: http://www.pbase.com/image/1916301

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Jon, that's a great pic, did you put it in the database?

(Zone 6a)

No, but I will :)

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

philomel - i think the tint gets stronger in the autumn/winter when the cold weather comes, must be something to do with the cold.

Yes, it does, that's right Lilith
These forms used to be classified as E radicans - because they root along the stems. They use this to creep up anything nearby. When SQ is mature she really fills out and can become quite a sturdy shrub, particularly if you keep the straggly bits trimmed as hc says :)

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

i have the 'Emerald Gaiety' variety http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/3704/ and find mine gets a bit tinted in the winter, maybe you need some of our cold north east weather!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.