Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: Just for GardenDragon

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 6, Views: 248
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2001
3:10 PM

Post #3255

Conch is the national food of the Florida Keys, GardenDragon, but none of it is local---conch are protected down there. All the conch comes from the Bahamas.

In general, treat conch like veal. That is, be careful not to overcook it, or it will turn tough. With conch, as with liver, you introduce it to the heat and allow no further conversation.

There are innumerable ways to prepare it, from deep frying, to fritters, to conch balls, to chowder, to...well, you name it.

Here's a simple recipe:

Thin slices of conch
Seasoned flour
Butter.

Dredge the conch in the flour, shaking off any excess.

Heat butter in a heavy skillet until hot but not browned. Add conch slices. Soon as the edges start to pull-in, turn the conch. Saute another minute or so and remove from skillet. It should be fork tender.

If you have any abalone recipes, conch can substitute.

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 5th 11:11 AM
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2001
5:42 PM

Post #65635

Thanks Brook for the conch recipes. Unfortunately I am possibly will not be able to buy conch here on the West Coast of Canada.

I am so amazed that even though we live on the coast, there is very little in the way of seafood in the grocery stores, and what there is is priced out of reach to most people on a pension! Luckily my SIL goes fishing and comes back with crab and prawns.

Will keep your recipe for when we ever see conch!
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2001
6:10 PM

Post #65641

Well, from all your asking on the recipes of all the US thread, I thought you were really anxious for it.

I assume you mean Dungenese when you say crabs? That's the commonest type in your waters. Strange, how the rest of the world kills for them, and you're covered up. ;-)

One thing about the Pacific Northwest. If you reach out your hand, the land and sea will feed you. That's why the Indian tribes of that region produced so much art: you need leisure to make art, and they had it because they didn't have to work as hard for a living as other peoples.

Something for anyone who lives in Oregon, Washington or British Columbia to consider. If you like fish, going out on a party boat more than pays for itself. You can fill up a freezer pretty easily with a morning's catch of bottom fish.

Crabbing is a fun, easy recreational pursuit that can be done from any public pier. Somebody once remarked to me, about crabbing, that he'd never seen so many people having so much fun so inexpensively.

Silly question, I'm sure, but do you need any crab recipes?

gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2001
1:47 AM

Post #65783

Brook, Yes I would love some crab recipes. Actually I find crab just cooked and eaten 'as is' a bit of a chore! Such a hassel smashing the claws, the removing the flesh, then eating it. Takes ages. I would like some recipes, besides crabcakes. Thanks for the offer.
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2001
2:33 AM

Post #65798

Well, for starters, how about:

Crab Creole

1 pound cooked, flaked crab meat
6 large fresh mushroom, sliced
4 tbls butter
1 small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup Chablis or other dry white wine
1/2 cup cream sauce.

Saute mushrooms in 2 tbls butter about three minutes. Add onion and pepper. Cook until soft. Stire in tomatoes, wine, and tomato sauce. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring untiol tomatoes break down into sauce. Add cream sauce and simmer until mixture thickerns slightly.

In a skillet, saute the crabg meat in remaining butter for five minutes. Combine with the sauce, and serve with steamed rice.

Or, there's always:

Stuffed Crab

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 hard cooked egg, mashed
2 cupts crabmeat
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup parsley, minced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tbls Sherry
4 tsp lemon juice
butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

melt butter in large skillet. Add onions and cook untiol soft. Remove from heat and add egg, crab, half & half, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, pepper sauce, and half the breadcrumbs. Stir well and cook five mintutes.Remove from heat and add Sherry.

Stuff into 4 crabshells or ramekins. Sprinkle remaining crmbs on top with lemon juice. Top with a pat of butter. Bake until the tops are brown.

Now that summer is finally coming in, try this tasty

Crab Salad

4 cups cooked crab meat
1/2 cup celery, chopped.
1/3 cup parsley, minced
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
salt to taste.
2/3 cup mayonnaise

Combine all ingredients. Bind with the mayonnaise. Serve on a bed of lettuce, or as a stuffed tomato.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9241213

Mmm these all sound so yummy! I wish we lived near the ocean :/. Seafood is expensive so we rarely get to have it.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

August 18, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9245862

[quote="gardendragon"] Actually I find crab just cooked and eaten 'as is' a bit of a chore! Such a hassel smashing the claws, the removing the flesh, then eating it. Takes ages. I would like some recipes, besides crabcakes. Thanks for the offer. [/quote]

THAT is exactly why it is so dear when already removed from the shell. I would like to think, gardendragon, that you are making funny with your comment. However, I have a friend whose husband refuses to do the work, and expects HER to shake his and make the salad.

On the east coast, the soft-shell crab is a delicacy - shell and all. Soft shelled crab cannot be harvest out in the west.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Bread In A Jar Gayl 11 Aug 30, 2007 9:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America