Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: POPPY SUE!! I think I found them!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 22, Views: 180
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2002
11:55 PM

Post #29125

Upon closer inspection after seeing Your photo...(CRAWLING)

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
1:08 AM

Post #259796

Mings - I'm not sure. Those leaves look a little wide for the first two leaves on poppy seedlings. Don't pull them yet. Maybe the next set of leaves it will be easier to tell.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
1:17 AM

Post #259804

I found some greener, skinnier ones about 8 inches away. They look more pointed too. Its dark now.
I'll have to keep my eye close to the ground. But. in some area's where I sprinkled poppyseeds. there is NOTHNG. bare. ugh! :(
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
1:44 AM

Post #259825

Mings, if you had success, please let me know how you did it! I tried, but after the sprouts appeared, they would disappear the next time I checked on them. I'm guessing slugs, bunnies, or something got to them. I'd like to know your secrets since I'm in zone 5, too :)
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
2:29 AM

Post #259860

you are zone 5 and you joined on my birthday too! lol...I will have to keep a lookout! I never EVER could grow a poppy. try all the time!
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2002
11:49 AM

Post #259986

I have more success when I scatter poppy seed if I then walk all over the ground! If I keep out and don't let anyone else in, it never seems to take either. Mine usually sprout in fall, overwinter, and make lush new growth in spring. But of course, I only grow rhoes annuals. Bunnies love the seedlings, so do birds. Putting net over helps protect them for the first couple months.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
12:04 PM

Post #260000

I just scattered the seeds/ But. we have had such a wet 6 weeks. Who knows...Alot of nice people from Daves sent me more seeds after my first drowning. I hope to get some poppies!!!!
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #260178

Mings, just four days before my own birthday! We're both Leo's then ;)

Lupine, I'm going to try what you said... Just scatter, step & cover to protect from small wildlife. We'll see...
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
7:49 PM

Post #260197

Upon Further inspection after the rain Finally stopped. If I take a magnifying glass to the ground, I can see wee wee wee little green things coming up. and they look like they would be puppies where I had scattered them.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
9:04 PM

Post #260233

Here's what I did this afternoon. I cleared out any miscellaneous green growth. Then, I laid down a string and scattered the seeds along the string. That way, if they do germinate and they are any where near the string, I can be a little more certain they are what I think. Now, it's supposed to pour here, too, so maybe this method will be a miserable failure after the rain pushes them all around... The pains we encounter to grow a simple flower.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
9:14 PM

Post #260235

If ya'll are really having trouble - I've had good success planting them in home made newspaper pots... or those little jiffy pellets that swell when you put them in water. You can plant them in those and then after germination put them in the ground without any transplant shock.

I still think direct sowing gives the sturdiest plants but either of those methods will work. To make newspaper pots I just use a toilet paper roll as a mold. Wrap strips of newpaper about 10 inches wide around it and then fold and crimp the bottom up. Pull it off the roll and you'll have an instant little pot that can be planted directly in the ground.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
11:57 PM

Post #260319

Thanks, Poppysue! When I tried the peat pots, I had damping off problems. Maybe if I transplant the peat pots just as soon as I see germination occur this won't be such an issue?
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2002
11:59 PM

Post #260320

I did the peat pots laast yar with my morning glories. I didnt; have good luck cuz I think I started them too soon. Will have to try them again. Clever invention.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
12:34 AM

Post #260333

I don't like the peat pots very well. They either stay too wet or dry out too fast. I also think roots have a hard time growing through them. The jiffy pellets ... the ones in that little netted mesh seem to work better for me.

Morph - If you strted them right outside and then tranpalnted right after germination I'd bet they'd never know the difference.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
1:49 AM

Post #260403

Great, that will be exactly how I try this time. Not sure if the brand I have is the jiffy pellets or not. But, they were they only ones left anywhere so I picked them up to have some on hand.

Mings, I had the same problem with my Moonflowers. I transplanted them outdoors a few weeks ago, but a cold night wiped them out very quickly! I've a few more still inside that I am now waiting until at least June before I put back outside. I put them into a bigger pot & added a stake to train them up. They were beginning to latch onto each other & make quite a tangle.
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
2:10 AM

Post #260427

I had about 8 pots of Heavenly blues on the basement window sill. thinkint they were far enough apart. Well, I now have ONE HUGE one. Not funny! I see you laughing...
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
2:16 AM

Post #260434

LOL, Mings! I was on my way there rather quickly since I only check on these once or twice a week. Glad I caught them soon enough! What are you going to do with your Heavenly Blues now that they are one?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2002
5:15 AM

Post #260499

I can take pictures of poppy seedlings if you still need it, just let me know.
oops, just found where poppy did that!!! (and I'd read it)

This message was edited Monday, May 13th 7:42 AM
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
11:51 AM

Post #260556

morph...well. probably just hack some off and stick it in the ground. lol
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
6:29 PM

Post #260758

tiG - Yours came up Okay then? That's good to know.
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2002
8:35 PM

Post #260810

tiG/Poppy, where's the picture posted? It would help to know for sure when I start using my magnifying glass, too :) tiG, it's always nice to compare if you are out and about with a camera. That way we've more data by which to figure out what's really sprouting!
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2002
12:58 AM

Post #260940

tiG ...post the picture!
Morph
Dayton, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2002
2:24 PM

Post #261268

Yes, pretty please! Post the picture :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America