Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Photos: Before and....During...of our Pond! :o)

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 6, Views: 195
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2001
2:36 AM

Post #3297

I had to crop them for size, but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Patty

April 6, 2001
2:52 AM

Post #65802

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2001
5:58 AM

Post #65856

Your pond is gorgeous. I have seen so many beautiful ponds this year on the internet, so we are having one put into our new landscape this next month. I will be posting some pictures of my new one also.

Donna
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2001
6:22 AM

Post #65859

I have been thinking about putting in a formed pool like this but was afraid it would not look natural but thanks to your pictures showing it as the plants fill in I have made it the next purchase on my list! Thank you very much for sharing this.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2001
9:38 PM

Post #66094

Thanks for your kind comments! We like the preformed pond because it's easy to clean in the springtime: we just use the pump to drain the water into our veggie garden, lift the liner out, and rinse. I'd like to get some liner and re-do our waterfall. A friend of ours used roofing material (black rubber stuff on rolls) to line his pond and it's in its 3rd year and going strong!

See this site for a weekend waterfall project (great site!):
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/projects/37waterfall.html

The silicon caulk is probably okay, but I'm not sure about the foam insulation suggestion there -- would it be toxic to fish and other aquatic life? This is probably best for one of the other forums, eh?

Fish? Yes, we did have several goldfish we'd previously kept indoors in an aquarium. Some of them had lived two years outdoors, but I'm sorry to say that this last winter we lost not only our fish, but even our bullfrogs -- all of them.

I hurt my back last summer and wasn't able to do a lot of things around the yard. Weeks went by and we just kept putting it off, plus we didn't have the money to buy a little heater. So, the freezing plus the decaying leaves and water plants really did their damage. :o( We are going to be MUCH better pondparents this year, and I will be a better gardenwife! :o)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2001
11:31 PM

Post #66112

Very nice, how do you get rid of algae, had several ponds gave up on them, now heard about barley straw in the bottom gets rid of algae
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2001
5:20 AM

Post #66189

Are you talking about the generally green junky water algae, or the string algae? I have heard the barley works with string type, but I'm not sure about the murkey kind. We were told to add oxygen plants to our pond and it would clear up the murky junk - and it did help.

Just a quick search brought up this site:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/algae2.htm#quick
It seems to have some good info on it, but you might want to do a little more research on it. HTH!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America