Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o(

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 20, Views: 631
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2001
3:19 AM

Post #3300

A few days ago, I gently pulled one of my climber's long, wayward canes in the direction I wanted to train it in. I gritted my teeth when I felt the *snap!* and saw this gorgeous long cane broken off at ground level!

I know roses can be started from softwood cuttings, but I believe it's too early for this. She has 1/2" leaf buds all over her, too! At a loss for what else to do, I stuck the broken cane's end down in the soil next to the bush. I can't recall whether zeph is on her own rootstock, either. I think it is. *sigh* Any ideas?

:o) Gardenwife

This message was edited Thursday, Apr 5th 11:31 PM

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2001
3:26 AM

Post #65814

Oh, I'm sooooo sorry. I left my Zepherine behind with our last move, and she was just starting to get really full and nice. I've promised myself I'll find a place for another one at our new home.

You might try cutting the cane with a clean cut, use a little rooting hormone, and keep it moist.

I've heard debates on both sides of the hardwood vs. softwood cutting issue. I think softwood will root more reliably, but it's worth a shot, since the cane is already broken.

And as I understand it, even if your rose was grafted, it can stil be grown on its own rootstock, and is the preferred method for many rosarians.

I bet you'll get some good advice from some really expert rose growers here, but I wouldn't wait too long to pull that cane out of the ground and give it a fighting chance in more favorable conditions. Good luck!
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2001
5:17 AM

Post #65850

I was glad to see this post. I was just going to ask if anyone had grown Zephrine Droubin. I saw the description in my catalogue and I liked the fact that it mildew resistant and has no thorns. I'd like to try this climber and wanted your advice. Do those of you who grow this recommend it? The fact that it has no thorns appeals to me as I'd have to tie it to the trellis and I hate getting picked to death.

Sorry about your break. I hope the cane takes root for you.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2001
7:35 PM

Post #66051

I've really enjoyed Zeph. She is truly thornless. I was marvelling at how I could grasp that huge cane in my bare hand...And, well, you know what happened! She seems to put forth a big flush of blooms in the spring/early summer, and then just blooms sporadically after that. Does anyone enjoy a constantly blooming Zeph? If so, what's your secret?

I have used J&P's Once fertilizer on my roses and other flowers; I really like the time-released types since I can just faggetaboutit. ;o) I've also used their Green & Grow. I used to work for them and got a good deal on a case of canisters. Now I'm on my own!

:o) Gardenwife
sheila
Wigan, Landcashire
United Kingdom

April 6, 2001
10:00 PM

Post #66098

That happened to me over my climber Golden Showers and all i did was put it in the ground and wait, my cutting has taken well and leaving out now ready for the summer. So plant it keep it watered and wait.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2001
5:15 AM

Post #66188

Sheila - That's GREAT to hear!! I think I'll do that, plus cut a bit off the end of the cane and do the whole rooting hormone, pearlite/peat moss, plastic tent thing, too. Hedge my bet, so to speak! :o)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2002
2:44 AM

Post #268944

It didn't work. LOL - just found my old thread again. But Zeph bounced back and is doing wonderfully now. I'll be posting pictures soon! :)
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2002
9:52 AM

Post #269093

So sorry your rooting didn't work! If it happens again, or you want to try another one, Louisa gave me some great advice about rooting hardwood. I am going to try with her method this fall. She seems to be a real expert, has done it often in England and in US. I am sure she would be more than willing to post advice again for all of us! I had never had any success with hardwood rootings, several with softwood, so I am going to try again this fall with her suggestions!

About your Zephrine: I had heard that it blackspots terribly. Does it for you? That is why I hadn't tried it before, but if it is really disease resistant, I just might succumb. I really love this one.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2002
6:07 PM

Post #269274

Kathy thanks for the compliment but I think you have far more experience than I have. It's through my blunderings that I managed to gain any knowledge!! I think I told you that I haven't had much success with softwood cuttings, which are taken very early in the year. Since I've only tried this method a couple of times and then was always busy with something else, I really ought to try again next Spring! Then of course there is the layering method which is great for long canes and even shrub roses! This method plus the canes in the ground method are far less fussy and makes life easier, especially for me!! :-) Kimberley glad to hear your rose is doing so well!! I grew ZD in England and it wasn't very healthy for me - too much blackspot!! I'm sure it depends where she is sited and the watering regime of course. She will always be a favourite however!!
mingsmimi
Sharpsville, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2002
1:24 AM

Post #269607

I LOVE my Z.
It will soon be blooming. I feel bad for you. hope it makes it.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2002
3:39 AM

Post #269729

Oh, Mingsmimi - it's doing great a year later! I fed it well last year and just let it settle in and do its thing, and this year it's showing some real spunk. :) Heeeeere's Zeph this spring: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/257814.html !! I let some of her canes just drape, and there's lots of lateral growth with blooms now. I just love her. :)

This message was edited Saturday, Jun 8th 12:12 PM
lupinelover
Grove City, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2002
12:01 PM

Post #277071

Putting this one back at the top of the list! Louisa, your tips are wonderful! Keep them coming!

Kathy :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2003
2:33 AM

Post #543174

Just wanted you to know that now, a bit over two years later, Zeph is doing GREAT! I've never pruned her since, except in the spring to remove dieback from the winter. Look at the show she's gave us this May!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2003
2:45 AM

Post #543190

Compare that to what she looked like last May, 2002: http://davesgarden.com/t/257814/

Here's one more of her this year:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2003
12:10 PM

Post #543427

Shes a beauty Kimberly..patience has its rewards..
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2003
1:12 PM

Post #543474

You just can't keep a good girl down!!!!! :-)

This message was edited Monday, Jun 2nd 9:13 AM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2004
5:17 AM

Post #757083

I searched for this rose on Google and my thread came up as the first hit. It was then that I realized I'd horribly misspelled the name. Figures! Here's how she's spelled: Zephirine Drouhin.

Sheesh! =)
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2004
10:30 AM

Post #757138

But we knew what you meant!! :-)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2004
5:17 PM

Post #757453

True! I still see a couple variations on the spelling, but I went with what Jackson & Perkins used on their site.
tablerocktina
Fountain Inn, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9223454

I see that this is an old thread, but hope someone will notice my question. I have a zephirine drouhin. I think I can spell it correctly but don't know how to pronounce it!
It only gives a few blooms in spring and then nothing for the rest of the season. I've had other zephs in other homes and same thing happened so I don't think it is where it is sited. I want to keep trying because the fragrance reminds me so of my granduncle's zeph from my childhood. Does anyone have experience with one that reblooms , other than just a few blossoms? Am I expecting too much of this beauty? Thanks for any help you can give.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9223722

There are several thread that discuss Zeph and her bloom cycle. This one is probably the best. Pleae read down about blooming. I think that all your questions are answered. And, by the way, I find that Zeph, once established, blooms all the way through the season.

Donna

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1119761/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM
Kathleen louisa 3 Feb 27, 2008 12:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America