Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Before I stupidly post....

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
penny4
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2002
1:03 AM

Post #29568

This is a Varigated Creeping Charlie, in bloom. They grow in two large planters on my back deck, and they're fairly protected there, so they return every year like clockwork. The little springtime blooms are so sweet! It gets long tendrils on it, and manages to go clear through the deck boards to the soil below and in late summer, it will root there. Won't last the winter down there, though. Only in the containers do they thrive perennially. It even gets a little pushy with other things I try to plant with it. I usually dig a bunch up from the middle to add to baskets, etc. and then plant a taller plant like nicotania in with the one that is alone in a planter. One of the containers has a dracena (I think) and a bunch or peppermint, all of which survive winter.
My question is, if I post this to the PDB, which I guess I should since I didn't see one there yet, I really guess I should know the correct name for it, and I don't. So, should I post it there, and let a "real" gardener do the latin lingo,etc., or what. Thanks all. Some day I'll get into learning all the lingo myself. Learning slooooowly. LOL!

Thumbnail by penny4
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

May 17, 2002
7:50 AM

Post #263052

That's a beauty, Penny. Great pot filler!
Baa

May 17, 2002
10:29 AM

Post #263063

Glechoma hederacea 'Variegata'
penny4
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2002
9:24 PM

Post #263308

Thank you Carol and Baa, One of these days I'll figure all that out, but not today...
penny4
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2002
9:31 PM

Post #263310

Thank you Carol and Baa. Guess I'll put it into the PDB.
tamlamb
Plymouth, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2002
9:58 PM

Post #263322

Penny4 that is one awesome looking plant... Does it seed?
tamlamb
penny4
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2002
10:01 PM

Post #263327

Good question, Tamlamb! I have no idea! I do know it will grow at the drop of a hat if I pull a section out root and all. These blossoms are real small - about 1/4 inch across. If you would like a chunk, I could send it, if you think it would live through the trip from coast to coast.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2002
2:50 PM

Post #263660

They're a member of the mint family and (in my experience) they are truly representative in their growing habit. I have the non-variegated variety growing all around our A/C unit and now trying to spread into a bed around the corner. The variegated variety may be more well-mannered; what I have is pretty "pushy", and I dig it up by the handfuls whenever I find it in my beds :)

Pretty plant, Penny4!
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2002
5:11 PM

Post #263705

I like that one too. It grows wild here, but not the variegated one, just plain green. They're flowering now too. The leaves have a nice scent and can be used as a herb/spice. It is easy to propagate from cuttings.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America